Author Topic: An electrician to install a rcd or consumer unit in north London  (Read 1797 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
An electrician to install a rcd or consumer unit in north London
« on: 03 December, 2018, 04:36:41 pm »
So due to legislation, need an electrician to do a bit of work.

Can't get any to come out and look never mind quote.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
Re: An electrician to install a rcd or consumer unit in north London
« Reply #1 on: 10 December, 2018, 02:58:32 pm »
Nothing?

« Reply #2 on: 10 December, 2018, 03:19:20 pm »
AFAIK, you can install but need a pro to connect up, which is what I just did with Miss Ham's studio. Ah! I hear you say, so you know a friendly sparkie? Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that - it was Miss Ham's bloke (who has a scaffolding company) that organised and it was like pulling teeth to get his guy to come...

« Reply #3 on: 10 December, 2018, 03:29:17 pm »
Not quite in terms of the Part P regs...

"Part P of the Building Regulations states that any electrical installations must be carried out by a competent person. This is in line with the competency expected from gas installers and goes far beyond just knowing which colour wires do what.

Competency, in this case, will mean a full, qualified knowledge of electrical installations. It will mean you have the ability to thoroughly check a circuit for safety and you will be able to issue a minor works certificate as a self certified "competent person".

The definition of competency is not simply someone with an understanding of how electricity works. It is very specific and includes the ability to test an electrical circuit thoroughly for faults both before, and after installation and the further ability to log these readings and report them to the appropriate electrical authority.

A competent person is a person or firm that has been approved by a Government approved Part P scheme."

but in reality a final check by a Part P certified electrician should suffice - assuming you can find one to do that who hasn't actually been paid to do the initial work that is.

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #4 on: 10 December, 2018, 05:24:57 pm »
AFAIK, you can install but need a pro to connect up, which is what I just did with Miss Ham's studio. Ah! I hear you say, so you know a friendly sparkie? Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that - it was Miss Ham's bloke (who has a scaffolding company) that organised and it was like pulling teeth to get his guy to come...

That what this feels like.  My friendly guy is on holiday.  Back up guy is busy and slowing down for christmas.

Few others have spoken to don't want to come out to quote.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #5 on: 10 December, 2018, 05:30:46 pm »
Not quite in terms of the Part P regs...

"Part P of the Building Regulations states that any electrical installations must be carried out by a competent person. This is in line with the competency expected from gas installers and goes far beyond just knowing which colour wires do what.

Competency, in this case, will mean a full, qualified knowledge of electrical installations. It will mean you have the ability to thoroughly check a circuit for safety and you will be able to issue a minor works certificate as a self certified "competent person".

The definition of competency is not simply someone with an understanding of how electricity works. It is very specific and includes the ability to test an electrical circuit thoroughly for faults both before, and after installation and the further ability to log these readings and report them to the appropriate electrical authority.

A competent person is a person or firm that has been approved by a Government approved Part P scheme."

but in reality a final check by a Part P certified electrician should suffice - assuming you can find one to do that who hasn't actually been paid to do the initial work that is.

You can, but it has to be checked by a building control.  Who farm out to an electrical contractor.  Then building control charge a fee so it is not worth it.

Problem is that the kitchen s being done.  So that brings a whole new complication to it as part P now means the kitchen should be on its own ring and the fuse board is so old that doubt can get fuses easily even tho there is a spare fuse...

« Reply #6 on: 10 December, 2018, 07:23:14 pm »
Problem is that the kitchen s being done.  So that brings a whole new complication to it as part P now means the kitchen should be on its own ring and the fuse board is so old that doubt can get fuses easily even tho there is a spare fuse...

If it's not already on its own ring then it'll need rewiring to do so, that's more than just a consumer unit change.

I've got a similar problem as I've only got 4 circuits in a 3 bed flat. At least I know the existing wiring tests ok, so it's not as urgent.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #7 on: 10 December, 2018, 08:10:45 pm »
So trying to speak to the sparky who is doing the kitchen work, the one employed by the kitchen company.  Seems a little difficult.

« Reply #8 on: 22 December, 2018, 02:44:00 pm »
Have you asked John the Sparky otp if it is something he would consider and what it would cost to be worth his while travelling over to you?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain