Author Topic: 'That retarded cowboy fella'  (Read 10663 times)

clarion

• Tyke
'That retarded cowboy fella'
« on: 10 September, 2008, 04:45:17 pm »
So - did Russell Brand massively misjudge his audience, given how dim Americans can be and their horror of unscripted comments?  Or is it his comments about the Jonas Brothers' chastity ring nonsense that's got him into (retrospective) trouble?
Getting there...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: 'That retarded cowboy fella'
« Reply #1 on: 10 September, 2008, 05:03:27 pm »
I don't find Russell Brand funny, but I'll make an exception in this case.

VILF  ;D
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2 on: 10 September, 2008, 05:09:32 pm »
I did wonder whether Americans would 'get' him when he appeared in that film...never mind the stand-up he does.

Personally, I like him. Sometimes it's not even what he says, it's the way he says it...although saying that his biography is pretty funny too.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #3 on: 10 September, 2008, 05:10:41 pm »
Most of the time I find Russell Brand intensely irritating - although he does now and then have a flash of genuis.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #4 on: 10 September, 2008, 05:14:36 pm »
And that entire evening was one long flash.  Hilarious.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 10 September, 2008, 08:40:28 pm »
I do like Russell Brand, as it happens.
Getting there...

gonzo

« Reply #6 on: 10 September, 2008, 08:45:19 pm »
I've found that an awful lot of people have opinions about Russell Brand without ever actually seeing his material, it's based on clips and perception. I used to be in that category myself TBH. Once you 'get' him, he's quite entertaining.

I did wonder whether Americans would 'get' him when he appeared in that film...never mind the stand-up he does.

There is a distinct difference between American and British comedy, I doubt that they really get any of ours at all.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #7 on: 10 September, 2008, 09:53:54 pm »
I think he is brilliant

I also don't think he cared whether the American audience "got" him - he was just enjoying himself.

gonzo

« Reply #8 on: 10 September, 2008, 10:08:08 pm »
What show are we talking about BTW?

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #9 on: 10 September, 2008, 10:23:27 pm »
MTV Awards in USA

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/bwpkWbRn1b8&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/bwpkWbRn1b8&rel=1</a>

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #10 on: 10 September, 2008, 11:45:38 pm »
I've found that an awful lot of people have opinions about Russell Brand without ever actually seeing his material, it's based on clips and perception. I used to be in that category myself TBH. Once you 'get' him, he's quite entertaining.

Same here. The Guardian today thought his "baroque delivery" would confuse the Americans. I like people who are clever with words.

gonzo

« Reply #11 on: 11 September, 2008, 08:06:52 am »
MTV Awards in USA

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/bwpkWbRn1b8&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/bwpkWbRn1b8&rel=1</a>

Link doesn't work unfortunately, but the relevant passage is:

"As a representative of the global community, a visitor from abroad, I don't want to come across a little bit biased, but could I please ask of you, people of America, please elect Barack Obama, please, on behalf of the world.

"Some people, I think they're called racists, say America is not ready for a black president.

"But I know America to be a forward thinking country because otherwise why would you have let that retard and cowboy fella be president for eight years.

"We were very impressed. We thought it was nice of you to let him have a go, because, in England, he wouldn't be trusted with a pair of scissors."

border-rider

« Reply #12 on: 11 September, 2008, 08:20:23 am »
This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Viacom International Inc.

It was there a few hours ago.

« Reply #13 on: 11 September, 2008, 08:39:42 am »
I like Russell Brand, he's pretty funny.

To say that Americans won't "get" him is perhaps a little insulting to our Leftpondian cousins. Obviously the redneck types wouldn't get him, but there are plenty of fairly normal, right minded, intelligent people in the US who do get him. He wouldn't be as popular as he is over there if they didn't....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #14 on: 11 September, 2008, 10:05:52 am »
I don't think it is insulting at all, it's not necessarily anything to do with intelligence. It's just different senses of humour.

Regulator

« Reply #15 on: 11 September, 2008, 10:12:42 am »

Why do you assume that people have those opinions without having seen his material?  I've seen his material and find most of it intensely irritating.

Just because somebody's opinion doesn't agree with your view doesn't mean that they are wrong or mistaken.

Green Party Councillor

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #16 on: 11 September, 2008, 10:15:49 am »

Why do you assume that people have those opinions without having seen his material?  I've seen his material and find most of it intensely irritating.

Just because somebody's opinion doesn't agree with your view doesn't mean that they are wrong or mistaken.

+1

I've seen a lot of Russell Brand, and I still can't stand him. If people 'get' it and like him then fine, but please don't tar me as some reactionary nonce who doesn't know what he's talking about just because I don't have the same opinion.

In effect, Gonz, you're making as many assumptions about people who don't like him as you think people make about Brand himself...

« Reply #17 on: 11 September, 2008, 10:19:37 am »
I don't think it is insulting at all, it's not necessarily anything to do with intelligence. It's just different senses of humour.

Perhaps it's different (in the States) when a foreigner says things.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #18 on: 11 September, 2008, 10:40:55 am »
...the relevant passage is:

"As a representative of the global community, a visitor from abroad, I don't want to come across a little bit biased, but could I please ask of you, people of America, please elect Barack Obama, please, on behalf of the world.

"Some people, I think they're called racists, say America is not ready for a black president.

"But I know America to be a forward thinking country because otherwise why would you have let that retard and cowboy fella be president for eight years.

"We were very impressed. We thought it was nice of you to let him have a go, because, in England, he wouldn't be trusted with a pair of scissors."

That's just bloody funny, though, eh? ;D
Getting there...

Regulator

« Reply #19 on: 11 September, 2008, 10:48:40 am »

It is indeed funny.  As I have said, he has his flashes of genius from time to time.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #20 on: 11 September, 2008, 12:58:28 pm »

+1

Nope.

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #21 on: 11 September, 2008, 02:06:20 pm »

Nope.
[/quote]

+1

Bit tired and predictable to be honest...

LEE

« Reply #22 on: 11 September, 2008, 02:16:26 pm »

Americans in general have the same sense of humour as us ('us' meaning Brits).

That's why some of their biggest comedy shows are also the UK's biggest comedy shows.

In fact, considering, MASH, Seinfeld, Curb Y-E, Frasier and such like, I don't know where we got this "Americans don't understand irony" things from.

« Reply #23 on: 11 September, 2008, 02:19:52 pm »
It's Canadians that don't understand irony. I submit the song "Isn't it ironic ?" by one Alanis Morissette as evidence.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #24 on: 11 September, 2008, 02:53:49 pm »

OK, insulting was the wrong word - how about presumptuous instead?

The only reason I commented was because an American friend of mine who loves British comedy is constantly told by Brits that she can't possibly "get" British humour because she's a dumb Yank. She "gets" it perfectly well.

I'd echo what LEE said - comedy is comedy, which is why most people will find at least some comedians from any country funny (language issues aside).

There are many "comedies" from English speaking countries that fail to even raise the slightest of smiles on my face. But there are plenty that do.

Down to the individual, innit?
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!