Author Topic: Edge Touring or Wahoo Bolt?  (Read 15965 times)

Maludenbas

Re: Edge Touring or Wahoo Bolt?
« Reply #50 on: 26 July, 2017, 10:03:29 am »
I'm still happy with my Edge 305, still going after 10+ years. If/when it packs up, I'm going to have fun looking for a replacement.

It's not that fun at all... looks like spending money to downgrade to a lesser product... solving one problem and creating three you didn't have before  >:(

Yes, sorry, my use of 'fun' was intended to be ironic. 

I've been reading for years of the 'developments' on the GPS front, knowing that eventually my 305 would gurgle and die, and have formed the impression that all current alternatives seem to lack stability. Of course, that same period of time has also seen the rise in social media, forums, 'feedback' etc etc so my impression could be ill-formed. The Wahoo has probably been the first product that's made me perk up a little.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #51 on: 26 July, 2017, 10:07:27 am »
GPS is a simple idea, not sure why they make it so complicated

Simple  ???

Atomic clocks in orbit, trilateral calculations to find three unknowns (x,y and z) using very large numbers (speed of light) and very small units (nanoseconds), compensations for the unpredictable effects of solar winds and the predictable effects of relativity, as well as terrestrial super-events such as earthquakes ... need I go on.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #52 on: 26 July, 2017, 10:44:54 am »
In fact my mount snapped in 2 (well all right, I broke it) at the start of this year, with the bottom half (including the latch) breaking off.  Since then I've been using the remaining half-a-mount all year, including several Alpine descents, and the E30 is still a tight fit and rock solid.  Genuine Garmin mount, the cheap copies seem awful.  Of course I've always used a lanyard, but never once has it been needed.

My mount has been secure but I can remember of couple of times looking down to see the unit dangling from the lanyard and this has followed followed cafe stop removal some way into a long ride so it's been me not pushing it fully home correctly but I've been very glad of the lanyard.  Agree, it's worth spending money on the (overpriced) Garmin mounts.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #53 on: 26 July, 2017, 02:54:13 pm »
I've never had a problem of my Etrex escaping from the mount (inc. various corrugated gravel roads), but I do use a proper branded Garmin mount. The cheaper versions that one can buy from Amazon etc. are rubbish.  However, I have a lanyard wrapped around the handlebars as an insurance policy.

Second all this.

I can think of a handful of situations when my eTrex30 has escaped from it's mount:
  • One and a half (it unclipped, but didn't come all the way out of the bracket) were on my Brompton, where space constraints mean that removing the steerer-mounted water bottle from its holder ineptly can result in clobbering the Garmin from below, mimicking the release action.
  • One case of being bashed on something while loading my bike onto a train.
  • Two incidents of being kicked by a newbie ineptly mounting my recumbent.
  • One crash, where I fell forwards onto the unit.  ETA: Correction, this was my Vista HCx, which used a different (and IMHO much less good) type of mount.
In all cases the eTrex was restrained by the lanyard (which is prudent on a bike and useful on foot) and undamaged, and I've had several other crashes and done some seriously bouncy MTB off-roading where it's remained firmly attached for the duration.

I bought one of the no-name imitations mounts.  The quality was the same as the official version, but the tolerances were slightly off, causing the clip action to be laughably loose.  Other people have had more success with them.  I wouldn't be surprised if they come from the reject bin at the same factory.

The Edge mount looks flimsy in comparison, but I suppose it's taking less weight.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #54 on: 26 July, 2017, 06:10:18 pm »
My two real Garmin mounts have** some text moulded into the back surface, near the latch.  My two cheapo fakes don't.  So not from the reject bin.

** or had, in the case of the one I snapped in half.  I have to say the remaining stub looks much more elegant on the handlebars.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #55 on: 27 July, 2017, 08:07:06 am »
I have found a hidden folder on my Garmin 200 containing a lot of files I thought I had deleted... removing them freed ou a lot of space and I am confident I can now upload more and bigger GPX files... so one problem solved

If I find a way to recharge it on the go without it going ballistic every time I connect it to an AA charger (using a OTG cable), I might not need an upgrade after all.

So far I have managed to mute the tones to avoid the hassle of constant beeping when plugged on the go, but that of course also mutes the "off course" warning. Is an Anker power bank going to be the solution? Some say it does just the same...

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #56 on: 27 July, 2017, 09:32:06 am »
I would suggest trying a dumb charger cable not an OTG cable.  Most cables are sold as 'data' or 'sync' cables but maybe you want one that specifically isn't.  The ones that come supplied with a power bank are probably a good bet.  Possibly something like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-3-Pack-PowerLine-Micro-USB/dp/B016BFFV6K/ref=sr_1_1

whosatthewheel

« Reply #57 on: 27 July, 2017, 09:49:42 am »
I would suggest trying a dumb charger cable not an OTG cable.  Most cables are sold as 'data' or 'sync' cables but maybe you want one that specifically isn't.  The ones that come supplied with a power bank are probably a good bet.  Possibly something like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-3-Pack-PowerLine-Micro-USB/dp/B016BFFV6K/ref=sr_1_1

Mine is allegedly a charge only cable, no data... the unit is happy with it and does not shut down and terminate the ride as it would do with a normal cable, but it keeps swinging between "in charge" and " lost power connection". I thought it was a voltage problem of AA chargers, but others with an Anker seem to experience a similar problem

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #58 on: 27 July, 2017, 10:57:19 am »
If your happy with breadcrumb trail the Edge 500 was stable in it's last update. Internal batteries last about 15 hours when new. so enough for a 200.  Not sure if still available though.

I thought that was the most problemaic unit ever, I know at least two people with Edge 500 that don't work

My Edge 500 has occasionally crashed while following a course, but is usually okay.  I occasionally follow courses, or put one in there as a backup in case I need it, but the course function is a bit minimal and annoying tbh.  For what I use it for (logging my rides, basic bike computer functions, recording and displaying HR and power data) it's rock solid and has never caused me a problem.  I don't know anyone else who's had a problem with it either.  I wouldn't use it to habitually navigate though: it's okay at a pinch but not really designed to do that. 

I've had mine for 3.5 years and the battery still seems to be doing okay.  I lent it to a friend for a 24 hour TT, he turned it on at 8 hours and it lasted until the end, with the HRM and power meter detection disabled but with the backlight permanently on at 30% brightness.  On a 12 hour TT when I'm recording power and heart rate, I still have about 25% battery at the end.

I've got an Etrex 20 that I use for navigating on tour and while it does what it does fine, I'd look for something else if I lost it tomorrow.  The UI is a bit antiquated, the screen isn't great and I've always hated the joysticks.  It's also a faff to get the data off it, as it won't record tracks to the SD card. 

JonB

« Reply #59 on: 27 July, 2017, 12:11:11 pm »
I have found a hidden folder on my Garmin 200 containing a lot of files I thought I had deleted... removing them freed ou a lot of space and I am confident I can now upload more and bigger GPX files... so one problem solved

Can you give the details, although I don't use it much I've always struggled with freeing up space on my 200

whosatthewheel

« Reply #60 on: 27 July, 2017, 12:22:27 pm »

Can you give the details, although I don't use it much I've always struggled with freeing up space on my 200

On a PC go onto control panel/appearances/folder options open the show hidden folders menu and tick the "show hiden folders and files" option. You will realise there are files which are stored there and you don't need.

There are also files you do need, so be careful what you dispose of... in my case was a lot of FIT files which I thought I deleted, but clearly got backed up in a hidden folder called Trashes

JonB

« Reply #61 on: 27 July, 2017, 12:51:27 pm »
On a PC go onto control panel/appearances/folder options open the show hidden folders menu and tick the "show hiden folders and files" option. You will realise there are files which are stored there and you don't need.

There are also files you do need, so be careful what you dispose of... in my case was a lot of FIT files which I thought I deleted, but clearly got backed up in a hidden folder called Trashes

Yay, found trashes full of FIT files from years ago, deleted and have about 75% free (as opposed to about 10%) ... mega :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

whosatthewheel

« Reply #62 on: 27 July, 2017, 01:25:07 pm »
which one would you recommend for a luddite that is not interested in syncing a GPS unit to a smart phone to enjoy the marvels of modern apps?
https://www.strava.com/activities/1103632062

I can't speak for the Bolt, but here are a few notes about the Edge Touring.

* It does a really good job of turn-by-turn navigation with turn alerts if you navigate along a pre-planned course.  I never let it off the leash to work out its own routes.  In the past that has not ended well.  It can't read my mind and know whether I'm in the mood for big roads or little cycle paths.
* You can use it with a power pack plugged in to it, and recharge on the go, but be warned that when you unplug the power pack it will wait a bit, then warn you, then switch itself off.  You have to keep an eagle eye on it spot the warning to keep it from switching off.  This is important because ...
* ... if it is switched off and on again it will not continue the current recorded ride.  You have to save the previous bit and start again.  If you are relying on the GPS to tell you how far you have gone (eg to match up with a route sheet) this is annoying.
* Compared to a general purpose AA powered Garmin there is not much to set up and it is a lot less confusing initially.

I think the Edge Touring is a very nice little unit.  Like all techy gismos you have to get used to its quirks.
However, I don't entirely trust it.  I still use an AA powered Garmin (a 60CSx) in my pack for ride recording/backup.

I think I have read enough horror stories about Edge Touring failing mid ride to put me off the product altogether.
Etrex 20? Reliable but a bit archaic

Wahoo Bolt? Read only good comments, except for reliance on a smart phone for the setup, which seems a bit OTT, but a sign of the times... can't even wipe your ass anymore without a smartphone

Dunno... think my Edge 200 seems more and more the viable option and I understand why these old units still command high prices on Ebay

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #63 on: 27 July, 2017, 02:23:23 pm »
How about an Edge 520?  Much more reliable than the Edge Touring by all accounts, can cope with mapping, has a 15 hour battery life, is about the same price as your other options.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #64 on: 27 July, 2017, 02:30:47 pm »
Or for something different, look at the Foretrex 601. Its much smaller than an Etrex, and very good battery life (uses AAAs). No mapping, but you should be able to load a route to follow.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #65 on: 27 July, 2017, 02:45:28 pm »
How about an Edge 520?  Much more reliable than the Edge Touring by all accounts, can cope with mapping, has a 15 hour battery life, is about the same price as your other options.

It seems very expensive for a unit with no default maps... I also don't see where the upgrade is to my Garmin 200... same battery life, same breadcrumb trail... better memory, but now that I have freed up space I am confident memoery will no longer be an issue

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #66 on: 27 July, 2017, 04:00:06 pm »
The 520 is the same price as the Elemnt Bolt you were talking about just now, and maps are free over on Open Streetmap.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #67 on: 27 July, 2017, 06:35:48 pm »
The 520 is the same price as the Elemnt Bolt you were talking about just now, and maps are free over on Open Streetmap.

It seems that navigation is better on the bolt, price can be a tad lower and general feedback is that Wahoo are more reliable than Garmin

« Reply #68 on: 27 July, 2017, 07:11:30 pm »
* ... if it is switched off and on again it will not continue the current recorded ride.  You have to save the previous bit and start again.  If you are relying on the GPS to tell you how far you have gone (eg to match up with a route sheet) this is annoying.
Mine is happy to resume recording after being switched off and on, just ignore the save/delete options and press the right button. 

« Reply #69 on: 28 July, 2017, 07:26:59 am »
Ah ! That's very good to know .There have been a few times that could have been useful  :)
the slower you go the more you see

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #70 on: 28 July, 2017, 07:53:52 am »
... and general feedback is that Wahoo are more reliable than Garmin

It seems that several people have reached the "Hell will freeze over before I buy another Garmin" stage and so will prefer anything else however silly the name, however mono the screen and however bizarre the setup routines.  It's not really a rational basis for comparison.

Samuel D

« Reply #71 on: 28 July, 2017, 08:17:30 am »
And the silly name and mono screen are “rational” objections? They make no difference to me (well, the mono screen is preferable, since it’s vastly more legible in daylight).

Here’s a good comparison of the navigation of the Elemnt Bolt and Edge Touring.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #72 on: 28 July, 2017, 09:13:19 am »

It seems that navigation is better on the bolt, price can be a tad lower and general feedback is that Wahoo are more reliable than Garmin

Price: Both units come up as £200 for me at all the major online outlets.

... and according to the review Samuel posted, Open Streetmap is exactly what is on the Bolt.  I'm not trying to be down on Wahoo - I'd give them a serious look if either of my units died tomorrow - but you're judging on false premises if you think cost or availability of mapping is different between the two brands.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #73 on: 28 July, 2017, 09:21:47 am »
With Wiggle platinum the Wahoo drops to 175 pounds... it's still a lot of money for what in essence is a glorified bike computer. I have to weigh in PROs and CONs of upgrading from a Garmin 200 which does more or less what I need it to do. If I can sort out the "charge on the go" problems, I don't really have a reason to upgrade anymore.
I have ordered an Anker, which in the worst case scenario will come handy to recharge lights on the go, while I am still dubious on whether to "upgrade" my battery lights to a dynamo setup... best case scenario will charge the 200 no problem

cameronp

• upside down
« Reply #74 on: 28 July, 2017, 09:27:17 am »
... and general feedback is that Wahoo are more reliable than Garmin

It seems that several people have reached the "Hell will freeze over before I buy another Garmin" stage and so will prefer anything else however silly the name, however mono the screen and however bizarre the setup routines.  It's not really a rational basis for comparison.

Having owned an eTrex, an Edge 510 and now a Wahoo Elemnt, I'm confident in saying that the Wahoo fits my needs the best. The mono screen is a non-issue. It's a reasonable resolution and has excellent daylight visibility. The "bizarre" setup routine is much nicer than the Garmin menu system if you're already a smartphone user, and since I already used Strava for ride logging and RideWithGPS for route planning, the automatic sync was a definite bonus. Reliability has been eTrex-like rather than Edge-like; the Edge had far too many unpredictable gremlins for my taste, whereas the Wahoo's quirks are at least consistent.

For a non-smartphone-user like the original poster, I do feel like the eTrex is the logical choice over an Edge. The Edge 520 doesn't do "proper" navigation with a map display, much like my Edge 510, which is less than ideal. The current higher end Edges have capacitative touch screens which apparently don't function too well when it's raining or when your fingers are sweaty, which seems like a definite misfeature for something designed for use by cyclists!