Author Topic: Dr. Foster's Summer Saunter  (Read 3830 times)

border-rider

Dr. Foster's Summer Saunter
« on: 14 July, 2008, 12:02:38 pm »
No, I'm not riding it, but if anyone else is we're having a BBQ that day and you're very welcome to call by.

We're at about 158 k, just before the climb up to Pen-y-Clawdd, maybe a km off the route.  Let me know if you want instructions to find us.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
Re: Dr. Foster's Summer Saunter
« Reply #1 on: 14 July, 2008, 01:16:35 pm »
It is a nice ride.  Although Dave's notes suggest it can be ridden on an ordinary road bike you will soon find out that 23mm tyres are much too fragile.  So I recommend that anybody riding uses a moderately tough road bike.

« Reply #2 on: 14 July, 2008, 02:23:48 pm »
Andy & I are dithering.  We did it last year and I think it was immediately after the floods in Gloucestershire.  We were pretty close to falling in the canal a couple of times because it was so muddy. 

border-rider

« Reply #3 on: 14 July, 2008, 02:59:55 pm »
Andy & I are dithering.  We did it last year and I think it was immediately after the floods in Gloucestershire.  We were pretty close to falling in the canal a couple of times because it was so muddy. 

Normally it's fine, but I'd agree that if you stick to the route  - and you should, it's a good one - then 23 mm tyres would be a bad choice.

Maladict

« Reply #4 on: 14 July, 2008, 04:22:36 pm »
The very next ride after I did the DFWW last year I discovered a flat (sidewall tear) 15 minutes before the start.

FAIL.  >:(

Those were 25mm tyres.  I blame the last section.  The roads were atrocious and in the dark working out if you were about to be swallowed by a pothole or rut was impossible.

border-rider

« Reply #5 on: 14 July, 2008, 04:30:46 pm »
The very next ride after I did the DFWW last year I discovered a flat (sidewall tear) 15 minutes before the start.

FAIL.  >:(

Those were 25mm tyres.  I blame the last section.  The roads were atrocious and in the dark working out if you were about to be swallowed by a pothole or rut was impossible.

The WW uses the Flood Road to skirt round from Usk.  It is indeed a rough and gnarly old road; my advice on that ride always is to get a move on and get through that section before dark.  I have the joy of living very near it now :)

The SS has a lovely finish - the last section is along the canal.  It's a lot flatter than the WW as well.

« Reply #6 on: 14 July, 2008, 09:51:37 pm »

Normally it's fine, but I'd agree that if you stick to the route  - and you should, it's a good one - then 23 mm tyres would be a bad choice.

Greetings All.

I, along with Mrs Rigby rode the Dr Fosters SS (as a permanent) on Saturday 12th. We Started at Hartpury, and did the slower lumpy bit first. Amazingly (by my standards) I flew over Pen-y-Clawdd - well it makes a change from flying over the A40/A417 roundabout at Gloucester.
A few points worth noting (organiser has been informed).

1). The Transporter Bridge was closed - and has been for some time now.
2). There a willow tree blocking the first cycle track bit shortly after leaving Corporation Street. Passable on foot.
3). The first control at Slimbridge has split into two parts The Cafe has expanded - loads more room inside, but the stamp is in the shop next door. Once explained what were after there wasn't a problem. The tow path to Splatt Bridge is abit rough this year.
4). The congestion around Gloucester, from where you leave the Canal tow path to the A40/A417 RDB is chronic. use the dreaded dual-use paths to make best progress, and on the aproach to the afore mentioed RDB, GET IN RIGHT HAND LANE, otherwise you'll be ferried down the A40.
5). The first bit of the Becon & Usk canal is a bit soft, I walked for about 50 yards, and there was the usual quota of glass - but after that it was fine all the way to the end.

As you all know - I'm not built Like Pantani, but I've never used anything other than 23mm 700Cs on either the SS or the WW routes, without problems - there's the red rag for the 2nd of August. But I agree - there are beter choices than 23s. Try riding all the "off road" bits in as high a gear as you can manage, that way you'll minimise your impact through the pedals.

See you all at the start.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #7 on: 15 July, 2008, 04:36:03 pm »
No, I'm not riding it, but if anyone else is we're having a BBQ that day and you're very welcome to call by.

We're at about 158 k, just before the climb up to Pen-y-Clawdd, maybe a km off the route.  Let me know if you want instructions to find us.

It looks like we are definitely going and will be tandeming.  A stop at Volio towers would be most welcome too, ta for the invite MV :thumbsup:.  Have you informed the pink train (Mr Pember for this one IIRC)?

Hoping for a leisurely circuit without too many visits from the cursed fairy.  I vaguely remember some serious off roading South of the M4 before crossing road and rail on the summer route, so we may have to take that bit carefully...

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

border-rider

« Reply #8 on: 15 July, 2008, 05:21:05 pm »

It looks like we are definitely going and will be tandeming.  A stop at Volio towers would be most welcome too, ta for the invite MV :thumbsup:

Excellent :)  Though I have to say that a trip to the Volio Farmstead does involve a certain amount of extra roughstuff; we have a track rather than a drive.  I can do it on the trike unladen, but with the trailer I have to resort to wheelchair-stylee hand-turning of the drive wheel to get over the rocks :)

Have you informed the pink train (Mr Pember for this one IIRC)?

No, I'm going to give him a call later though.  I might ride it as a perm in the week before.  Dunno yet.

hoppy1848

« Reply #9 on: 20 July, 2008, 09:39:57 am »
So being flat it's OK for a fixed.  Where is the hill and what sort of gradient is it?

border-rider

« Reply #10 on: 20 July, 2008, 08:51:24 pm »
So being flat it's OK for a fixed.  Where is the hill and what sort of gradient is it?

"The hill" is perhaps a slight understatement.  There are one or two gradients :)

The only serious one, though, is up to Pen-y-Clawdd.  About 1/2 mile from where we live.   It's not a problem on fixed - just pace it and it's fine.  If you take the other road to Pen-y-Clawdd - that is a toughie.

Overall I'd say it's a pretty good ride for fixed - the trickiest bits are actually the canal towpath sections.

hoppy1848

« Reply #11 on: 20 July, 2008, 09:06:00 pm »
Thanks Mal and hope that you are v well.

:thumbsup:

border-rider

« Reply #12 on: 20 July, 2008, 09:34:51 pm »
We're good

If you fancy a break just before that climb, it'd be good to see you.

« Reply #13 on: 21 July, 2008, 12:22:39 pm »

"The hill" is perhaps a slight understatement.  There are one or two gradients :)

The only serious one, though, is up to Pen-y-Clawdd
So you don't rate the road after "L by solicitor's office" (I cannot recall the exact wording) in Newport as a hill, then?  Or does the route not go up there now?

border-rider

« Reply #14 on: 21 July, 2008, 02:55:44 pm »

The only serious one, though, is up to Pen-y-Clawdd
So you don't rate the road after "L by solicitor's office" (I cannot recall the exact wording) in Newport as a hill, then?  Or does the route not go up there now?

That's the Winter Warmer.  I agree, that's a sod, and the climbs afterwards  - over to the finish from Bassaleg - are quite reasonable too.   But the summer version heads across from Pen-y-Clawdd to Pontypool and then goes down the canal towpath, missing out all the post-Newport lumpiness

« Reply #15 on: 04 August, 2008, 09:59:59 am »
Well we managed to make a weekend out of this one by riding to the start from Aberystwyth and most of the way back.

With a hideous looking clip on rack attached to the stoker seatpin of our tandem and lightweight panniers we left Aberystwyth at about 9 on Friday morning, taking the rolling route south across some of the lumpier bits of Ceredigion and Carmarthenshire.  There was a headwind as ever and this turned into a tough slog showing up our already tired legs from the 24 hour time trial we did a week earlier.  At about 1ish we got to Carmarthen, had a feed in a Café and headed West along the A40.  With the wind mainly behind us and a relatively flat road, we made good time on this leg of the ride, soon passing Llandeilo and Llandovery on our way to the 2nd control at Sennybridge.  Another Café control and we were rolling onto the final leg of the ride towards our arrivée in Newport.  There was a lumpy section across country to cut off the corner to the A470 before tackling the Heads of the Valley road in the beginnings of rush hour.  The climb to the top was gradual but comfortable and we were soon over the top and speeding towards Merthyr.  Once we hit the dual carriageway, we were able to hold a fast average speed, only slowing for roundabouts and for a brief backtrack to collect Jasmine's buff which had blown off of the top of her head.  At about 10 miles North of Cardiff, a no cycling sign was seen on the A470 so we exited and picked up the familiar route to Tongwynlais.  From there we took Dave Lewis' usual route to the A48 and got our final control before rolling down the hill to our hotel.  A meal in the pub next door and we were heads down by about 10pm.

Saturday loomed wet and grey after a bad nights sleep and we were both feeling a little apathetic.  Once we had breakfast and struggled down 2 flights of fire stairs with the tandem, we were soon rolling the short distance to the start and feeling a little more awake.  We didn't have long to wait for the 8am departure and we were soon in a small group with Mr & Mrs Blacksheep heading over the Newport plains towards Chepstow and the old Severn Bridge.  Once into England, the sun came out and we made steady progress through S. Gloucestershire towards our first control - Slimbridge at 80km.  A little before this, the BSs stopped to sort out a slow puncture and we gently pressed on.  On one of the gravely lanes we too had a puncture, albeit on the rear wheel, and so after fixing it rolled into the control where I washed the mud and oil from my mitts then we all had a sit down.

In light of our luck to-date, we opted for the A38 rather than the towpath of doom after Slimbridge and pressed up to Gloucester.  The BSs lead us on a less laney route to the Harpbury control and we were soon there having caught up with several other riders.  We didn't stop long and made relatively short work of the next leg to Symmonds Yat East, where more food was consumed in a nice riverside Café.  The riverside path has bedded down nicely since we last rode it and we had a smooth run down to Monmouth.  After Mitchell Troy, the 4 of us left the route and successfully found our way to MV's new gaff where we were fed and watered, thanks MV  :thumbsup:.  An alternative route to the top of Pen-y-Clawdd took us up some pleasantly cool and shaded lanes before bringing us out near the top of the familiar ridge.  The tandem made short work of the rolling section to Usk and after a bit of a main road slog and a short sharp climb we were onto the Canal towpath towards the finish.

A final control at Sebastopol allowed for quick liquid refreshment, and the rest of the run back was relatively uneventful, although there were a few dodgy slides on the muddy path, one uncomfortably low bridge and a few nasty road crossings.  We managed to throw our timing chain too on one of the canal bridges.  A couple of km of road after we left the Canal and we were back at the start, 400km into our weekend.  We ate a hearty meal each at the finish pub, bode farewell to the Blacksheeps and were once again bedded down for a bad night's sleep, having staggered the two flights of stairs back to our room with the tandem.

On Sunday we were of the mind to quit while ahead and make our way home via public transport, but having established that there were no good options due to engineering works on the railways and an odd lack of daytime busses, we were forced to try and ride.  We had a reasonable run back out of Cardiff, up the Heads of the Valley road and were feeling strong enough thereafter to head for Sennybridge rather than a more direct route back via Brecon.  A long Café stop helped us to build reserves for the remaining ride and we cast off onto the A40, this time into the face of the wind that had helped us two days earlier.  Somewhere on this leg, Jasmine hit the end of her comfort zone, so we needed to look at other options for getting home.  Llandovery station proved not to be useful, so we eventually limped on to Lampeter, arriving at about 4pm.  We broke the tandem down into bin bags and had a leisurely 3 hour pub stop before catching the evening bus home.

So it may not surprise you that I felt a little stiff commuting on the fixie today...

AC

'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

« Reply #16 on: 04 August, 2008, 11:52:09 am »
Sorry I didn't make it Andy  :'( :-[

My bum is on fire today.

« Reply #17 on: 10 August, 2008, 09:30:28 pm »
  After Mitchell Troy, the 4 of us left the route and successfully found our way to MV's new gaff where we were fed and watered, thanks MV  :thumbsup:.  An alternative route to the top of Pen-y-Clawdd took us up some pleasantly cool and shaded lanes before bringing us out near the top of the familiar ridge.

Andy & Jasmine, Glad you made it home safely - a bit of a mamoth week's cycling, respect.

Thanks to Tony & Kathy Pember - for making the event happen.
Also to Andy & Jasmine for the company during the ride,
and to MV for drinks and snacks at the Volio farmstead.

plenty of amusement too, for me the best three being:-

1. BMW driver locking-up his ABS - down a single track lane a he passes a group of us, as AC commented "quality ....".
2. Grid-locked Corsa driver in Symonds Yat East, still had a go at blocking passing cyclists.
3. Numpti Dai, on the final bit of canal path. walking at least a dozen dogs and puppies - not a single dog lead in sight.

where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.