Author Topic: DIY/Perm controls  (Read 1236 times)

DIY/Perm controls
« on: 02 August, 2008, 12:05:49 pm »
What is acceptable and what is not acceptable for a control on a DIY or Perm ride?

Although I have been informed that an official post office stamp is OK, there is no official (printed) time on, so although I would be happy to use these at intermediate controls, I wouldnt be happy to use these at the start or finish.

Surely a till receipt is the only safe way which shows date, time and location.  However these are not always possible to obtain in the middle of the night.

Any advice would be much appreciated as I am planning on riding a 600 perm shortly.

Cyklisten

• ... they came from the sea onto the land ...
    • Cyklisten Online
Re: DIY/Perm controls
« Reply #1 on: 02 August, 2008, 12:33:12 pm »
A good one is a balance slip from an ATM. It gives time date and location. I blank out the other info with a marker pen. They can (and do) run out of paper from time to time so controls where more than one might be available make sense. Be aware that some chain store outlets e.g. CO-OP and petrol stations sometimes have the head office location on the receipt which could be miles away!.
I recently used Hamstreet (Kent) as a control. The McColls receipt didn't show the location and the ATM said 'The Street, Ashford"! I took a digital photo of the store showing The McColls sign and a post office sign saying Hamstreet. I sent the latter off with a screen capture showing the time and date properties of the photo. One or all of those combined got the result, not sure which! I could have gone to the station and bought a permit to travel of course, as these are also acceptable.
Pubs are generally open later than shopping hours and a swift shandy purchased with a credit/card produces a suitable receipt!
I generally get by with ATM balance slips and garage receipts (depicting Red Bull & Crunchies)  :demon:

Check with your perm sec as well. They're not monsters, just mad cyclists like the rest of us!  ;D 

Ti små cyklister tog ud på cykeltur ...

SFACC Audax Champion 2010

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #2 on: 02 August, 2008, 07:21:09 pm »
if you use a shop/PO/brothel with a stamp with no time get the nice person to write the time on it

I'm doing a 400 perm as soon as the weather and child care and my repairs to the dynamo allow

For the "middle of the night" controls I have contrived to visit a street with several ATMs on it and then the one after that is a 24 hour garage

Chris S

« Reply #3 on: 02 August, 2008, 07:37:31 pm »
What is acceptable and what is not acceptable for a control on a DIY or Perm ride?

Anything that proves you were in a specific place, at a specific time. Candidates include:

ATM slips (Balance check or withdrawal)
Shop receipts (exact place is important - watch out for chains that quote only head-office on their receipts. Garage shops are usually reliable)
Pay & Display Car parks.

I think some organisers might well accept a GPS tracklog if it were corroborated by other controls using the more traditional methods.

The point is - there is a significant level of trust here. If you are cheating for a reason, it will be obvious. If you aren't - then you will likely be trusted to be honest.