Author Topic: Xrtim has a new bike  (Read 9850 times)

Re: Xrtim has a new bike
« Reply #25 on: 27 October, 2012, 12:18:36 pm »
Your gears seem to be rather lower than is currently fashionable. I think that most bikes are over-geared, so I am interested in your approach.

How long are your cranks? How fast do you pedal?

« Reply #26 on: 27 October, 2012, 12:46:56 pm »
More recent Shimano MTB mechs (XTR, XT and SLX) are available with a "clutch" mechanism that are designed to work with single rings and prevent the chain dropping.  They are called Shadow Plus.
I haven't used one, though.  My MTBs have a triple on one, and a single speed with track dropouts on the other.

recumbentim

• Only 6 SR,s No hyper yet
« Reply #27 on: 27 October, 2012, 05:37:16 pm »
Your gears seem to be rather lower than is currently fashionable. I think that most bikes are over-geared, so I am interested in your approach.

How long are your cranks? How fast do you pedal?
As I said above if I have 34 front and 9 tooth rear that is 102 inches. That will take me pedalling up to 36 , 38 MPH , after that I usually just tuck if going down hill . This year I have tried to extend the time I can sustain at 30 MPH without my legs and lungs exploding . I am talking about only a few mins mind you and unless you have miles of long gradual down hills I see no point in high gearing .
 If you can sustain 30 on the flat for ages then by all means go for big gears but I wont be racing you for money?
  Right just been out for 35 miles and at 100 cadence I am doing about 29 MPH with that 34 x 9 , so you may be right with that bike I may , if I get fitter  , up the gearing a bit .

When I ran a double in the past I had a 28 - 46 on the front this would  give about 113 inches with an 11 32 cassette.

I have always used 170 cranks but another thing I like , thank you Mr Obree , which is no problem with the singe is a low Q factor, ie cranks and BB as narrow as possible.

recumbentim

« Reply #28 on: 06 November, 2013, 08:45:28 pm »
Think I might be heading for a Sram XX1 set up next year.  Thats a 10- 42 cassette 11 speed .
  Yes its expensive and there are some big gear jumps at the top end but I just like the idea of the big range on 11 gears.
What I have found out so far is the TT road thumb shifters dont work with it so it will need to be gripshift . Also you can fit the freehub driver , which is specially made for the cassette , to Hope road hubs ie 130mm.
 I will use my stronglight chainset up front with a 39 or 39 chainring .

recumbentim

« Reply #29 on: 09 April, 2022, 08:07:39 am »
I now have this Bacchetta CA2 for sale . Its a large size , had a lot of use but none in the past 5 years . Set up for speed with fast wheels and a one by 10 gearing , single front disc and large seat . Loads of spares including original seat , pads , wheels , brakes , chainrings etc . Message me and I will WhatsApp lots photos .Must be seen , £500 cash on uplift.

recumbentim

« Reply #30 on: 06 May, 2022, 07:24:31 am »
It is now on Ebay if you wuold like to see more photos.