Author Topic: Rosslare to Kenmare  (Read 1423 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Rosslare to Kenmare
« on: 31 December, 2019, 02:31:54 pm »
There's a possibility I may be cycling from Rosslare to Kenmare in the summer. Google maps suggests this is around 270km, so likely to involve an overnight stop for me.

Anyone here cycled down that way? Any clues or recommendations?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Rosslare to Kenmare
« Reply #1 on: 31 December, 2019, 04:30:10 pm »
We must have done a small bit of it when we cycled from Malin to Mizen in 2008 (I think). There are some pretty challenging hilly bits in SW Ireland as well of the occasional church service held in the middle of the road.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: Rosslare to Kenmare
« Reply #2 on: 31 January, 2020, 02:08:56 pm »
Rosslare to Kenmare is part of the EuroVelo 1 route if you want to take the scenic route! https://en.eurovelo.com/ev1/ireland

The first half of the EV1 route to Cork has some detours but are worth while as they are scenic and do not add too much to the route, but from Cork you are really going off track if you stay on EV1, also it does get hilly on EV1 after Cork.

The N25 (National road, equivalent to A roads) is a single carriageway with a hard shoulder so spacious but generally high speed. It is busiest between Waterford and Cork. Thankfully there is the Déise Greenway which is a cycle route from Waterford to Dungarvan on an abandoned railway - totally offroad with a good quality surface and close to amenities. It does get very busy at peak times with families and walkers.

The N25 is also a bit "lumpy" and in parts adds a climbing lane which leaves not much space for cycling.