Author Topic: Are you chicken?  (Read 2226 times)

Are you chicken?
« on: 03 May, 2014, 05:42:23 pm »
How do you buy you chicken?

I've long known that portions are expensive, but even so I have bought portioned chicken. Miss Ham has been on a high protein diet for a while and chews her way through a mountain of chicken breast, which I have been buying. I buy the "offers" at Waitrose, which ends up somewhere around £9/Kilo, pretty much standard from what I can see (although Iceland come in cheaper).

I've done it before but today I bought the 3 1.2 Kg Chickens for £10 and decided to weigh the outcome. For £10:

1.2 Kg breast meat (skinless boneless)
1.2 Kg legs
A great pot of stock with some meat off the bones for a couple of sandwiches.

Remind me again how much I pay for breast meat on its own?

Re: Are you chicken?
« Reply #1 on: 03 May, 2014, 06:36:20 pm »
At the butcher I often buy thighs on their own for a stew. I can't remember what they cost.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 03 May, 2014, 08:10:00 pm »
I don't really eat chicken on it's 'own' but prefer it 'in things' IYSWIM. I always used to buy chicken breast for making chicken in white wine sauce with pasta until I went to cook school where they suggested that using chicken thigh is better because it doesn't dry out the same.
I tried it and was converted (yes,even though you're cooking it in a lake of sauce), more tasty too.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 03 May, 2014, 08:16:36 pm »
Whole small chickens (1.35kg) from Sainsbury's: £4.50 each or 3 for £10.

About £2.50 per kg. Includes skin and bones. No use if you want Happy Chickens.

I stopped buying chicken crowns and  breast 'joints' when I realised that a whole chicken cost the same as these items but would provide more than twice as much food.

« Reply #4 on: 03 May, 2014, 08:22:16 pm »
At the butcher I often buy thighs on their own for a stew. I can't remember what they cost.

+1 thighs are tastier. I tend to buy a mixture as Mrs Pcolbeck and Pcolbeck junior like breast better.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #5 on: 04 May, 2014, 08:52:33 am »

Indeed. It is quite astonishing that it's possible to rear, feed, slaughter, process, package, transport and retail a whole hen for an end price of £3 odd, with each step in the process making a profit. Can it really be good to eat, in any sense of the word?
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #6 on: 04 May, 2014, 09:12:04 am »
I tried just buying the eggs to see if it would grow up, but it didn't work.  ;)

« Reply #7 on: 04 May, 2014, 09:35:54 am »

Indeed. It is quite astonishing that it's possible to rear, feed, slaughter, process, package, transport and retail a whole hen for an end price of £3 odd, with each step in the process making a profit. Can it really be good to eat, in any sense of the word?

OK I confess. I've only started buying these since needing industrial quantities. I like to think that Waitrose suppliers will have the highest husbandry of any of the type, with possibly less additives? Oh well

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #8 on: 04 May, 2014, 11:54:03 am »
I rarely buy meat as we tend to cook veggie food at home.  Have you considered Costco or similar?  I know they do happy chicken.

« Reply #9 on: 10 May, 2014, 10:34:20 am »

Free range chicken at the butcher today was:
£15 a kilo for breasts
£7 a kilo for thighs

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #10 on: 10 May, 2014, 11:01:40 am »
Macro do cheap chicken, but then it is in 10 kilo batches.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #11 on: 10 May, 2014, 11:26:30 am »

They are tender (cos the poor things don't live long enough to run around much if they can at all), but taste quite foul.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #12 on: 10 May, 2014, 12:08:26 pm »

Free range chicken at the butcher today was:
£15 a kilo for breasts
£7 a kilo for thighs

I think you may have missed the point. Using Waitrose, Free Range thighs £7 Kilo,  breast £16 Kg, Whole £5.80. Therefore 3Kg whole chicken would cost you £17.40 and provide 1Kg breast (say £15), 1Kg thigh (£7) costing you £5 (25%) more for the benefit of not having the carcass. Not as marked as the first example, but interesting none the less.

« Reply #13 on: 10 May, 2014, 02:14:08 pm »
Except that I bought half a dozen thighs for a stew, which weighed 700g so about £5. That'll be all the chicken we want this week. A single whole chicken (with a similar amount of meat) was unlikely to be a much better price (I forgot to check what they were, but at Waitrose maybe a 2kg chicken so £11 ish) and would be more work to turn into that meal. If you particularly want breast meat as well then I agree, buy the whole thing.