Author Topic: How long should shoes last?  (Read 3721 times)

Re: How long should shoes last?
« Reply #25 on: 20 November, 2019, 11:18:52 am »
Bought Timberlands in Banff Canada a few years ago for walking in the ROckies.  Still in fantastic condition and really comfortable.  They are or were cheaper in Canada than the UK.

I had some Italian walking boots for 20 years, bomb proof but not water proof.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #26 on: 20 November, 2019, 04:13:55 pm »
I am still wearing shoes I bought in 1986. Mostly though my shoes last only about 20 years. I have rubber outer soles put on immediately when I buy them, and replace the rubber whenever it wears out - eventually the uppers split though.
There is something lovely about wearing really old shoes I think.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #27 on: 20 November, 2019, 05:41:18 pm »
My OP was really about trainery-type shoes, as that's what I wear nearly all the time.

I have a pair of Doc Martins that I have had for lots of years that I wore when I was teaching, so a few days a week in term time only. I wore them to the last demo I went on, thinking they would be ideal for a day in London spent on my feet, but they weren't. They fit OK. It's just that the "air wear" sole seems rather harsher to my feet than my normal walking trainers.

The Merrells I have bought recently as a replacement for the Meindls have  a Vibram sole, which I know is very resilient. I doubt very much that I will wear through that in 18 months. I have had boots with Vibram soles before and then it was the uppers that wore out after lots of years. Probably if I had been a bit more generous with the Nikwax they might have lasted longer still.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #28 on: 20 November, 2019, 11:37:16 pm »
Out of interest, what type of Meindl walking shoes did you buy from Open Air in Cambridge? I ask because (a) I have a pair of Meindl walking shoes myself, and (b) I bought a pair of Meindl boots from Open Air in Cambridge today.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #29 on: 21 November, 2019, 01:27:42 am »
Currently using these as my walking shoes, https://www.decathlon.co.uk/nh100-mens-walking-shoes-black-id_8354268.html comfortable for all day walking around, other aches stop the walking rather than the feet hurting. For £10 these are great.

I wear the outside edge of my heal of my shoes, and am starting to get knee pain and swelling, so maybe time for a shoe purge.  Am thinking this as I looked at my nh100 and my right shoe is excessively worn compared to my left.  So wonder if that maybe causing issues.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #30 on: 21 November, 2019, 08:05:46 pm »
The real problem with any type of shoes is size.  My precise foot measures as 24.5 cm UK 5 1/2.  They are also wider than typical.  I buy UK size 7 which typically are the smallest size found in many shops and am careful about the width of the toe box.  Manufactures say they make size 6 and 6 1/2 but shops just do not stock them.
Indeed.  At size 5 I find that for some reason shoe manufacturers think I want either "School" shoes or something that will cripple my knees aka "women's shoes", anything practical is limited (mainly 'sports'/hiking etc).  I'm probably looking in the wrong places
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #31 on: 21 November, 2019, 08:30:53 pm »
Out of interest, what type of Meindl walking shoes did you buy from Open Air in Cambridge? I ask because (a) I have a pair of Meindl walking shoes myself, and (b) I bought a pair of Meindl boots from Open Air in Cambridge today.

https://www.openair.co.uk//footwear-c6/mens-c124/shoes-c131/meindl-rapide-gtx-shoes-large-sizes-13uk-p151/s1090

Out of stock and £170.

Having found the email they sent me when I bought them, I've replied to ask about a guarantee period and whether in their view 20 months is a reasonable life for such expensive shoes (I paid £159.90) bearing in mind that it wasn't the main part of the sole that wore through, but a totally unnecessary strip of decoration.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #32 on: 21 November, 2019, 11:30:27 pm »
Having found the email they sent me when I bought them, I've replied to ask about a guarantee period and whether in their view 20 months is a reasonable life for such expensive shoes (I paid £159.90) bearing in mind that it wasn't the main part of the sole that wore through, but a totally unnecessary strip of decoration.
I have the Respond model, which is at a slightly lower price point (not purchased from Open Air). The problem that I have is that they allow the wet to get in. I mentioned this in the course of buying my boots, and the Open Air salesman suggested that I check to see if I’d worn a hole in the goretex lining of the toe box. When I got home I checked, and I think he’s right, I have. The shoes are about 5 years old, however, and have had a lot of wear, so I’m not complaining.