Author Topic: Radio4 Addicted  (Read 7854 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Radio4 Addicted
« Reply #50 on: 14 December, 2011, 01:07:56 pm »
This might interest a few YACFers:

21:00
All in the Mind
13/12/2011

Taxi drivers' brains; disclosing mental health problems at work; ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #51 on: 14 December, 2011, 01:17:34 pm »

Did you hear the two-parter on the Industrial Revolution? He got rather irritable with one of the women guests on that. Hugely entertaining.

d.
Yes.  From memory (and grossly simplified), she was suggesting that the Industrial Revolution occurred because of a fortunate confluence of circumstances; he wanted her to acknowledge a hefty contribution from native British invention and entrepreneurship.  She wasn't having any of it.

For some silliness, The Boosh repeats started last night on R4Extra.  Yet another in a long list of radio 4 comedies which later transferred to televison.

This might interest a few YACFers:

21:00
All in the Mind
13/12/2011

Taxi drivers' brains; disclosing mental health problems at work; ...

Presumably covering the enlarged hippocampus of those taxi drivers who have passed 'The Knowledge'.

I never noticed part of my brain growing - it makes you wonder what happened to the rest of it.

David Cohen, taxi driver

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #52 on: 20 December, 2011, 05:31:12 pm »
I find the quality of the comedies highly variable. I've always loved the News Quiz, which has done a good job of evolving with the times (unlike ISIHAC, which sounds very tired and dated now), and Just A Minute, which is exactly the same as it ever was but has stayed fresh by regularly introducing new young blood. But I can't stand the Now Show and I can take or leave most of the formulaic panel games. But the best of it is superb. I'm sure there's loads of great stuff I've forgotten, but a few recent examples that spring to mind are: The Mark Steel Lectures, Old Harry's Game, Bleak Expectations, Count Arthur Strong, The Very World Of Milton Jones.

Bleak Expectations fans should like the new thing that was on BBC1 last night (by the same writer). The Times hated it, I have no idea why.

And this weeks Mark Steel was superb. He was at Holyhead, a location with much comedy potential! (THe 4Extra repeat should still be available online).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #53 on: 20 December, 2011, 05:54:49 pm »
Bleak Expectations fans should like the new thing that was on BBC1 last night (by the same writer). The Times hated it, I have no idea why.

I really liked the first series of Bleak Expectations but found the joke was wearing a bit thin by the third series. I watched a few minutes of the TV version last night but it felt a bit tired and I couldn't be bothered with it.   :-\

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #54 on: 20 December, 2011, 05:59:58 pm »

Did you hear the two-parter on the Industrial Revolution? He got rather irritable with one of the women guests on that. Hugely entertaining.

d.
Yes.  From memory (and grossly simplified), she was suggesting that the Industrial Revolution occurred because of a fortunate confluence of circumstances; he wanted her to acknowledge a hefty contribution from native British invention and entrepreneurship.  She wasn't having any of it.

But he only managed to express this when he got a word in edgeways, which was after several minutes of her rant. Normally he manages to run a tight ship to keep the program flowing and cover the subject in 45 minutes.

The whole archive of In Our Time (going back to 1998-ish) is now available in podcast form, and categorised into science, philosophy, history, culture and religion. There seemed to be a bit more disagreement among the guests in the earlier ones than there is now. 
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #55 on: 20 December, 2011, 08:02:11 pm »
Apart from recent occasional trips into 4 Extra, all radios in this house are permanently tuned to R4 and never stray. Are there other stations?
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #56 on: 20 December, 2011, 09:40:30 pm »
Apart from recent occasional trips into 4 Extra, all radios in this house are permanently tuned to R4 and never stray. Are there other stations?

Not really.  But I will hold my hands up to a bit of R5 (or Radio Bloke as Mrs. B calls it) on Sunday mornings when R4 is a bit crap. 

OK, I do like Broadcasting House.

Actually, I'm a bit of a Fighting Talk fan on R5 on Saturdays too.  (God, this is embarrassing)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #57 on: 20 December, 2011, 11:18:16 pm »
I do like a bit of 6music, especially Jarvis Cocker's Sunday Service, which is one of the best things on any station. And I occasionally dabble in Radios 2 and 3. Plus a bit of 5 if there's some sport on that I'm particularly interested in (I would have to agree with Mrs Basil's description of R5 as "Radio Bloke", and I really can't stand Fighting Talk). Radio 1 might as well be in a foreign language, but my 13yo seems to like it. But then he also likes a lot of stuff on R4, so I know we must be doing something right as parents.

We also have 5 on first thing in the morning, which is my wife's doing. I would object but I'm not keen on the alternatives - no longer a fan of Today, especially not John bloody Humphrys.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #58 on: 21 December, 2011, 07:50:54 am »
Beautiful programme:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0184vh6/The_Bob_Graham_Round/

(Available till 1/1/2012).

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #59 on: 13 January, 2012, 02:05:12 pm »
All 5 of these were great.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b019lzsy

EDIT: Here's the main page. It's "Book of the Week" - which programs like Radio Downloader can find, if that helps.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b019lvg7#synopsis

Part2:
From reading about the Cairngorms in bed Jeanette Winterson reveals how books open doors to new worlds for readers and passionately the power of words to transport us in A Bed. A Book. A Mountain.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #60 on: 13 January, 2012, 02:19:57 pm »
Any chance you could post that as a list rather than a link, for those of us who can't click on links to iplayer from work?
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #61 on: 24 January, 2020, 07:16:50 pm »
It's funny how after 9years,most of the BBC progs that we were listening to are still going!(or still being repeated) ;D

Meanwhile, Nish Kumar is really doing my head in. I may have to abandon this series of News Quiz ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #62 on: 24 January, 2020, 07:27:31 pm »
Meanwhile, Nish Kumar is really doing my head in. I may have to abandon this series of News Quiz ...
I agree. His rising inflection at the end of each sentence is really getting on my nerves. As too is
the over-enthusiastic, forced laugther of the audience. :sick:

« Reply #63 on: 24 January, 2020, 08:46:36 pm »
I too - very put off by the "shoutiness".

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #64 on: 24 January, 2020, 09:19:13 pm »
Oh.  I haven't listened to it yet.  Oh dear.  :(

Anyway, it's not been the same since Alan Coran left us.  If I had a time machine I'd schedule a show with Alan Coran and Susan Calman on the same team.  ;D

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #65 on: 24 January, 2020, 09:39:13 pm »
It's funny how after 9years,most of the BBC progs that we were listening to are still going!(or still being repeated) ;D

I was just thinking the same thing - Kumar is awful - and the panels seem to be increasingly populated by "has-beens or never wases"   - Sandi Toksvig was pretty funny, and Miles Jupp OK too.

The bright spots on R4 conitnue with ISIHAC (Jack Dee is almost as good as Humph) - The Now Show is a bit variable but usually tolerable - Fags, Mags & Bags is funny but you need to have been in on the running jokes from several previous series .... Dead Ringers doesn't ring all that well with too much of "I'm XXXXX" as it may not be that obvious - BUT I can't ever see Andrew Neil on anything without thinking of DIANNNNE ABBBBOTTTT (and then her breathless "Jewemy") ;D

Rob

« Reply #66 on: 24 January, 2020, 09:40:15 pm »

Anyway, it's not been the same since Alan Coran left us.  If I had a time machine I'd schedule a show with Alan Coran and Susan Calman on the same team.  ;D
With Linda Smith and Jeremy Hardy in opposition.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #67 on: 24 January, 2020, 09:44:20 pm »

With Linda Smith and Jeremy Hardy in opposition.

Oh, you good boy!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #68 on: 24 January, 2020, 09:51:50 pm »
I think with Nish Kumar they are trying to attract a younger audience. ISIHAC with their jokes about Lionel Blair must only be understood by people who can remember pre Channel 4, it must be a complete mystery to those too young.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #69 on: 25 January, 2020, 01:06:45 pm »
I think with Nish Kumar they are trying to attract a younger audience. ISIHAC with their jokes about Lionel Blair must only be understood by people who can remember pre Channel 4, it must be a complete mystery to those too young.
It's not a bad idea. Kumar is pretty good on News Thump (or wotever the TV thing was called). He just needs to know when to shut-up; which on news Quiz should be ALMOST ALL THE TIME. just cos you're the host, you are not obliged to be constantly talking/laughing/shouting.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #70 on: 28 January, 2020, 08:48:58 am »
Any one else a fan of "Claire in the community" a comedy about a social worker. It gets quite surreal sometimes.
As I am married to an ex social worker I find it very funny.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #71 on: 28 January, 2020, 01:37:21 pm »
Any one else a fan of "Claire in the community" a comedy about a social worker. It gets quite surreal sometimes.
Yes, although I thought the last series wasn't quite up to the standard of the previous ones (EDIT except for the very last episode, which was superb IMHO). I am married to someone who is still a social worker and for quite a while just didn't seem find it funny although she came round after a couple of series.

« Reply #72 on: 28 January, 2020, 03:55:50 pm »
Yes, although I thought the last series wasn't quite up to the standard of the previous ones (EDIT except for the very last episode, which was superb IMHO). I am married to someone who is still a social worker and for quite a while just didn't seem find it funny although she came round after a couple of series.

Mrs Pcolbeck doesn't listen to it. I suspect she might not find it funny. It's funny to me because of all the story's she has told me about working in the field.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #73 on: 28 January, 2020, 04:02:38 pm »

I like it.  I think Sally Phillips is excellent. 

I saw the TV pilot but it just didn't work.  Half the magic of CITC is that it is on the radio and your imagination runs a little wild (albeit that it may be tempered by exposure to the comic strip).
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor