Author Topic: what I have learned today.  (Read 847236 times)

Re: what I have learned today.
« Reply #3775 on: 25 September, 2019, 01:55:44 pm »
That there is an (archaic) expression in English "Short commons" meaning a shortage of food.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #3776 on: 25 September, 2019, 02:51:54 pm »
That there is an (archaic) expression in English "Short commons" meaning a shortage of food.
Me too, in yesterday’s Guardian quick crossword. It was a bit of a stinker.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #3777 on: 25 September, 2019, 07:10:15 pm »
That’s the one, although my wife guessed it, having presumably heard it during her Yorkshire upbringing.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #3778 on: 25 September, 2019, 07:58:30 pm »
I didn't think it was that archaic, or perhaps I just read the "wrong" sort of novels?

Anyway, the reason I'm here.  Wing Cdr. Guy Gibson VC DSO DFC was a guest on Desert Island Discs in 1944.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p009xzj9
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3779 on: 28 September, 2019, 01:20:25 pm »
Today's word is ventripotent. 'All the paunch-beguiling meals which delighted the ventripotent pashas of the city!'
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3780 on: 29 September, 2019, 11:19:59 am »
That there is such a thing as a ratcheting cable cutter:

https://youtu.be/-rphMwxTr54
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3781 on: 01 October, 2019, 11:35:07 am »
That argon fluorohydride is, briefly and in particularly unlikely circumstances, a thing.

« Reply #3782 on: 01 October, 2019, 12:03:38 pm »
New washing machines run much better once you've removed the Transit Bolts. Apologies to anyone in Co Durham who owns a seismograph, for any false positives you may have just received.  :facepalm:

My SiL was moaning when we visited them about how her new washing machine vibrated like mad and sounded like it was about to explode. Queue me asking my BiL "You did remove the transit bolts didn't you?", embarrassment ensued as we found his socket set and removed them. I think they had had it about three months at that stage.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #3783 on: 01 October, 2019, 01:13:47 pm »
Jeffing is a thing that can be discussed in mixed company. Apparently it’s a name used for interval training, eg run for 5 minutes, walk for 3 minutes, repeat. It is named for Jeff Galloway who apparently founded* the technique.

* I would have said formalised the technique. I used to tall it lamp posting, in that I’d run to the next lamppost then walk to the next one, but this was when I was a yoof.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #3784 on: 02 October, 2019, 12:33:25 am »
Jeffing is a thing that can be discussed in mixed company. Apparently it’s a name used for interval training, eg run for 5 minutes, walk for 3 minutes, repeat. It is named for Jeff Galloway who apparently founded* the technique.

* I would have said formalised the technique. I used to tall it lamp posting, in that I’d run to the next lamppost then walk to the next one, but this was when I was a yoof.

Isn't that basically what Baden-Powell called scout's pace, though his intervals were different (60 paces running, 60 paces walking IIRC)?

« Reply #3785 on: 06 October, 2019, 07:46:30 pm »
I've learned two things today.

(1) how to exfoliate with a kitchen knife, it helps if they are seriously sharp

(2) What a flucky looks like, coz now I got one

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3786 on: 06 October, 2019, 08:26:18 pm »

look up fartlek training
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #3787 on: 07 October, 2019, 04:34:08 pm »

look up fartlek training
fartlek is more than that. It is mixed pace, so jog, sprint, walk, jog for medium distance, run hard medium distance, sprint, jog, walk. Generally over mixed terrain.
Does for runners what riding yorkshire hills does for cyclists, alternately forcing you into anaerobic intensity, then recovering while in aerobic zone.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #3788 on: 07 October, 2019, 04:38:14 pm »
That the US embassy has racked up over 89 000 unpaid congested charges, totally over £10 000 000 in fines.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #3789 on: 07 October, 2019, 04:38:21 pm »
Alexandre Dumas, him what wrote that count of Monte cristo was a person of colour

« Reply #3790 on: 07 October, 2019, 05:13:14 pm »
That the US embassy has racked up over 89 000 unpaid congested charges, totally over £10 000 000 in fines.

I saw that Guardian piece too. I'm a little more disturbed by the US diplomat's wife hopping a plane home after killing a motorcyclist with her car, and by the apparent refusal of US authorities to waive diplomatic immunity than I am by a bunch of unpaid congestion charges.

ian

« Reply #3791 on: 07 October, 2019, 05:29:20 pm »
They claim, somewhat disingenuously, that it's a tax and thus under the various treaties that cover diplomatic presence on foreign soil they don't have to pay it.

The diplomat's wife killing someone, invoking diplomatic immunity and hopping on the next jet to the US is horrible and I don't really know how someone can really live with themselves, but it's not like the US don't have form for that kind of behaviour.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3792 on: 08 October, 2019, 09:07:00 am »

look up fartlek training
fartlek is more than that. It is mixed pace, so jog, sprint, walk, jog for medium distance, run hard medium distance, sprint, jog, walk. Generally over mixed terrain.
Does for runners what riding yorkshire hills does for cyclists, alternately forcing you into anaerobic intensity, then recovering while in aerobic zone.

Yes, I know what fartlek is, just suggesting it to Beardy as a point of interest.  It can be a very useful tool.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #3793 on: 08 October, 2019, 11:58:17 am »
They claim, somewhat disingenuously, that it's a tax and thus under the various treaties that cover diplomatic presence on foreign soil they don't have to pay it.

The diplomat's wife killing someone, invoking diplomatic immunity and hopping on the next jet to the US is horrible and I don't really know how someone can really live with themselves, but it's not like the US don't have form for that kind of behaviour.

What's worse is the diplomat's wife told the police she had no plans to leave the country... And then did.

Not sure how I feel about diplomatic immunity in general. I think it's problematic if abused and no one seems to care.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3794 on: 08 October, 2019, 01:10:07 pm »
Bloody Stupid Johnson wibbling on about The Case of the Spook's Missus makes me want to pin him against a wall and bellow "Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe" into his face >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #3795 on: 08 October, 2019, 03:05:02 pm »
Yep, definitely playing the distraction game there, given he knows full well the US won't waive Mrs Diplomat's immunity and the UK probably supports our own dodgy diplomats.

Cudzoziemiec

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3797 on: 09 October, 2019, 12:58:00 pm »

« Reply #3798 on: 09 October, 2019, 02:34:48 pm »
The Romans had a goddess of hinges.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3799 on: 09 October, 2019, 03:17:09 pm »
The Romans had a goddess of hinges.
Wobbly John needs to know this.