Author Topic: Arrivée est arrivé!  (Read 471355 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Arrivée est arrivé!
« Reply #2575 on: 19 October, 2019, 11:46:56 pm »

Got home to find an envelope with Awoowoo on the outside, so I'm guessing it my copy. I've not been awake enough to open it yet.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #2576 on: 30 November, 2019, 10:20:44 pm »
It has hasn't it?
Asks nervously hoping that the mailing all went smoothly....

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2577 on: 30 November, 2019, 10:21:46 pm »
It has hasn't it?
Asks nervously hoping that the mailing all went smoothly....

Mine was in the mailbox today.

J
--

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #2578 on: 30 November, 2019, 10:24:17 pm »
I've got mine - it's another great issue.

My dad refuses to believe someone did PBP with a 90" gear ;D
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2579 on: 30 November, 2019, 10:35:27 pm »

What's that in a real unit?

J
--

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #2580 on: 30 November, 2019, 10:44:58 pm »
J
Do you mean in cog sizes? Around 50 x 15, it's massive although having cycled with Jonah (on fixed) around Mille Pennines, I believe :thumbsup:

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2581 on: 30 November, 2019, 10:46:53 pm »
J
Do you mean in cog sizes? Around 50 x 15, it's massive although having cycled with Jonah (on fixed) around Mille Pennines, I believe :thumbsup:

I was actually hoping for metres of development. But 50 x 15, I can kinda understand.

J
--

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2582 on: 30 November, 2019, 11:25:28 pm »
J
Do you mean in cog sizes? Around 50 x 15, it's massive although having cycled with Jonah (on fixed) around Mille Pennines, I believe
50x15 on what size of tyre?
Nominal 700x23c?

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #2583 on: 01 December, 2019, 12:32:09 am »
1" gear = pi inches development = (0.0254 * pi) metres development. Hence, 7.18 metres development.

« Reply #2584 on: 01 December, 2019, 06:54:48 am »
Elegantly put!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2585 on: 01 December, 2019, 08:01:58 am »

Sorry, non-Audax digression:
Does he know about the russian guy on TPR??
End
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #2586 on: 01 December, 2019, 08:59:15 am »
My old friend, an auk and PBP ancienne of some note, asks where all the entertaining articles, self-deprecating and humorous, have gone; says it seems to be all po-faced macho description nowadays.  Perhaps those silly Rapha films have had an influence.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2587 on: 01 December, 2019, 10:49:44 am »
My old friend, an auk and PBP ancienne of some note, asks where all the entertaining articles, self-deprecating and humorous, have gone; says it seems to be all po-faced macho description nowadays.  Perhaps those silly Rapha films have had an influence.

"Po-faced macho" - Are we reading the same magazine? Do you feel this applies to all the articles in the last 2 editions?

J
--

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2588 on: 01 December, 2019, 11:14:04 am »
Compared to a decade ago, mostly yes. There are very few articles written with traditionally British extreme self-deprecation or with whimsical diversions or using code phrases fully understood only by those who’ve ridden the event. There are a lot more straightforward chronological descriptions, which provide useful information for newbies thinking of trying that particular event but are not so interesting for old hands who’ve already experienced similar situations.

Isn’t there a truism that there are only seven types of stories in the whole world:
Overcoming the Monster.
Rags to Riches.
The Quest.
Voyage and Return.
Rebirth.
Comedy.
Tragedy.
The interesting part for voracious readers is how those stories are written.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #2589 on: 01 December, 2019, 01:10:23 pm »
There’s definitely a change to a more journalistic and professional style of writing. That’s not the same as ‘better’.
Milk please, no sugar.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #2590 on: 01 December, 2019, 04:35:20 pm »
A great front page, though.

A few years back I was riding Offa's Dyke 600. Had a bit of a 'mare on day one and got back to base at 400km around 6am. Had an hour's sleep and woke up to find the rain hammering down. I was just about to set out for the last 200 when Steve came in sans shoes carrying a wheel. He had got about three miles down the road, punctured and discovered he left his tyre levers at home, so ran back to base through the rain, with the wheel, in his socks cos you cannot run in road shoes. As it happens a large part of the field had already packed because, er, it was raining.   Not Steve. Well 'ard!

S2L

« Reply #2591 on: 01 December, 2019, 04:54:56 pm »

A few years back I was riding Offa's Dyke 600. Had a bit of a 'mare on day one and got back to base at 400km around 6am. Had an hour's sleep and woke up to find the rain hammering down. I was just about to set out for the last 200 when Steve came in sans shoes carrying a wheel. He had got about three miles down the road, punctured and discovered he left his tyre levers at home, so ran back to base through the rain, with the wheel, in his socks cos you cannot run in road shoes. As it happens a large part of the field had already packed because, er, it was raining.   Not Steve. Well 'ard!

Interesting... last time I spoke to Undulates he told me one of the reason he wanted to shorten that brevet is that everybody packed up after 400 km...  ;D

« Reply #2592 on: 01 December, 2019, 05:12:56 pm »
Yes, when I rode it in 2016, only 9 finished out of 23 starters - the temptation to pack when returning to the hall in the middle of the night is very strong.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

rob

« Reply #2593 on: 01 December, 2019, 05:28:32 pm »
In some of my early copies riders sent poetry in.  Rather different to self-depracating, more intentional whimsy.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #2594 on: 01 December, 2019, 05:43:53 pm »

4 Jun 2011: That Offas Dyke over the Gospel Pass enabled my Bakers Dozen as I also rode either my Perm or Calendar GP200; thanks for the wheel reminder; should have included it in the RRTY story. Ged manipulated the pic I use here!
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2595 on: 01 December, 2019, 05:49:31 pm »
J

I was actually hoping for metres of development. But 50 x 15, I can kinda understand.

J

Metres of development = pi x gear inches/39.37 so about 7.2 metres, which is a LOT...

« Reply #2596 on: 01 December, 2019, 07:15:10 pm »

Metres of development = pi x gear inches/39.37 so about 7.2 metres, which is a LOT...

Yeah... but what's that in inches?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2597 on: 01 December, 2019, 07:21:44 pm »
90 X pi, divided by 39.37...

« Reply #2598 on: 01 December, 2019, 07:42:55 pm »

No need to shout.

;)

Phil W

« Reply #2599 on: 01 December, 2019, 09:16:27 pm »

Why are you dividing by the number of inches in a metre if you want the inches development? Surely it's just 90 X PI?