Author Topic: Southend Cycle Town - part 2  (Read 237405 times)

Re: Southend Cycle Town - part 2
« Reply #700 on: 02 September, 2010, 10:59:11 am »
.... It could have been so much better, but I bet Joe public on his BSO thinks it's great.

This is one of the problems.  The path does look very good.  Joe Public thinks it's good.   The Council think it's good and so they claim do the many people who come down to inspect it.

The problem is that somebody looking at it for an hour on a weekday lunchtime isn't going to see it in all the situations that the local riders do.

It's the local riders down there day in and out who witness the collisions, near misses, obstructions, etc that were predicted would occur.  Its us who can see the problems caused by a construction that doesn't come anywhere near the design guidelines that are published.  It is us who can no longer use the road as an alternative since Joe Motorist can see a "high quality" path next to them and give us abuse for not being on it.

It's us who provided suggestions for the seafront, which were ignored.  It's us who can compare the seafront now to how it was before, and how it was before that.  We've been riding here for years.

The front has been constantly improved, and I'll give the council that.  It used to be a race track, but got speed cameras and painted lanes (in parts).  12 months ago it was a much better place to cycle along than 15 years ago.  This month it is the worst place to cycle along yet :(

<rant continued p90>

« Reply #701 on: 02 September, 2010, 12:27:45 pm »
Regarding 'joe public' I have yet to be abused by motorists for not using the path to the West of the pier, something that I wouldnt dare to do to the East  :(
I think 'joe public' can see the path is not up to the job it was designed to do, 'joe public' isnt that much of a mug!

« Reply #702 on: 02 September, 2010, 12:38:40 pm »
I've some more Prittlebrook Greenway news.
The dodgy drain cover  >:(

has been replaced  ;D

They have nearly finished the Springfield Drv. to Highfield Cres, just the Springfield blockwork to finish.
Now to sort out the inconsiderate parking over the ramps  ::-)

The Highfield Crescent section, on the east side does need a "Keep Clear" to stop (sic) the road traffic from blocking the Greenway ramps.

The gravel is still loose! I would imagine it'll be several weeks of walkers and cyclists using the path to tamp down the gravel and kick the loose stuff off to the sides.

« Reply #703 on: 02 September, 2010, 12:48:14 pm »
Regarding 'joe public' I have yet to be abused by motorists for not using the path to the West of the pier, something that I wouldnt dare to do to the East  :(
I think 'joe public' can see the path is not up to the job it was designed to do, 'joe public' isnt that much of a mug!

To the west of the pier I wasn't abused.  Once.

All other rides, on the road, I have been yelled at.  Twice on one day.

« Reply #704 on: 02 September, 2010, 12:49:14 pm »
The gravel is still loose! I would imagine it'll be several weeks of walkers and cyclists using the path to tamp down the gravel and kick the loose stuff off to the sides.

Because it's laid on tarmac, I can't see it getting tamped down to a surface.  It needs a resin binder of some sort laid on it, or it all being swept up.

« Reply #705 on: 02 September, 2010, 03:39:27 pm »
I will split this into two, cycle lane East of the pier and West.

East and abuse.
I am not sure if that is because people have got used to the cycle lane being there, and automatically believe you should be using it. Also tbh I dont find it that bad, and it seems to have got better with less cars vans lorries etc parked in it.

West and no abuse.
People can see how fucked up it is, even motorists who have a pathalogical hatred of cyclists realise its dangerous and to put it right is going to cost shit loads more money.

Regarding this thread and people keep adding to it, as long as Southend Council keeps sending its minions out to promote the path for family use then I will keep having a dig when I can  :demon:
Regarding 'joe public' I have yet to be abused by motorists for not using the path to the West of the pier, something that I wouldnt dare to do to the East  :(

To the west of the pier I wasn't abused.  Once.

All other rides, on the road, I have been yelled at.  Twice on one day.

Clandy

« Reply #706 on: 02 September, 2010, 04:40:53 pm »
Regarding this thread and people keep adding to it, as long as Southend Council keeps sending its minions out to promote the path for family use then I will keep having a dig when I can  :demon:

Absolutely. If there is, heavens forbid, a death on that cycle track, I would prefer I had been speaking up, than saying nothing.

There is an old Greenpeace slogan that I believe also applies here:

'The optimism of the action is better than the pessimism of the thought.' Harald Zindler.

Clandy

« Reply #707 on: 02 September, 2010, 08:20:51 pm »
A courteous driver in Southend.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/u-Q4WeT7VJM&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/u-Q4WeT7VJM&rel=1</a>

« Reply #708 on: 02 September, 2010, 10:37:27 pm »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/u-Q4WeT7VJM&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/u-Q4WeT7VJM&rel=1</a>
Was he courteous to the vehicle behind him?

Clandy

« Reply #709 on: 02 September, 2010, 10:45:41 pm »

Was he courteous to the vehicle behind him?

There is a rare occurrence of a driver going out of their way to be courteous to a cyclist, and all you're worried about is the car behind him?  ::-)

« Reply #710 on: 04 September, 2010, 11:54:21 am »
Not wanting to be the bringer of bad news but
Just been out for a morning ride and on the return I chanced the seafront path heading towards Chalkwell. As I aproached The Arch's cafe's Shorefield Road junction there was four of five police cars around, the cycle path taped off and the police photographers out in force. I have no idea what has happened, but it looks as if it has involved the cycle path and it didnt look good news.

Clandy

« Reply #711 on: 04 September, 2010, 12:10:58 pm »
Just came past that too. Spoke to one of the police officers, asked if he could give an idea as to the nature of the incident but understandably all he could say was 'At this time it is just a measuring exercise'.

« Reply #712 on: 05 September, 2010, 09:55:35 pm »
If anybody does hear any more, if not suitable for posting here please do send me a pm.

Clandy

« Reply #713 on: 11 September, 2010, 12:53:19 am »
Today's eejits:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/zcp-ECfJtKs&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/zcp-ECfJtKs&rel=1</a>

« Reply #714 on: 11 September, 2010, 01:15:02 am »
Focus driver overtaking too close only to brake sharply and join back of long queue - yep, rather dumb.

Elderly pedestrian not appreciating that cyclist might be on a cycle path, probably because they haven't existed for most of their life:  No problem, make allowances, it'll only cost a few seconds.

Shock doddery old lady into rushing across as fast as she could, which wasn't very:  Sorry mate, your fail.  

If you're pointing the finger at motorists for failing to have patience with cyclists, then you might want to have a rethink about the effect your riding is having on vulnerable pedestrians.  

Clandy

« Reply #715 on: 11 September, 2010, 01:22:13 am »
Focus driver overtaking too close only to brake sharply and join back of long queue - yep, rather dumb.

Elderly pedestrian not appreciating that cyclist might be on a cycle path, probably because they haven't existed for most of their life:  No problem, make allowances, it'll only cost a few seconds.

Shock doddery old lady into rushing across as fast as she could, which wasn't very:  Sorry mate, your fail.  

If you're pointing the finger at motorists for failing to have patience with cyclists, then you might want to have a rethink about the effect your riding is having on vulnerable pedestrians.  

Take another look at the video. The elderly pedestrians were preceded by a dog on an almost invisible extendable lead…  might not be a problem to you with your Action Man Eagle Eyes, but to us mere mortals could prove decidedly dangerous...

« Reply #716 on: 11 September, 2010, 01:29:15 am »
OK, I didn't spot the lead, but I don't think it makes that much difference.  Peds are allowed on cyclepaths, and I think we need to be tolerant of them, even the irritating ones. 

Clandy

« Reply #717 on: 11 September, 2010, 01:32:42 am »
OK, I didn't spot the lead, but I don't think it makes that much difference.  Peds are allowed on cyclepaths, and I think we need to be tolerant of them, even the irritating ones.  

Makes a shitload of difference. I only spotted the lead because I had already adjusted my speed due to the wheelchair left in the cycle lane, others might not have done, with disastrous consequences for themselves and the dog.

gordon taylor

« Reply #718 on: 11 September, 2010, 07:55:40 am »
I'm with Tewdric on this. I've been puzzled by this thread for a long time, in particular the expectation from some posters that a cycle lane through a busy area should somehow (and uniquely) be clear and fast, when the users of the road and the pavement all have to compromise and adjust their movements.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #719 on: 11 September, 2010, 08:40:57 am »
I agree that you should take extra care when using a cycle path in a busy area. But letting your dog run ahead of you on a 5m lead as you cross a road and path is rather dumb, make sure it is clear before letting the mutt run. From what I can see on the video they are only looking forward.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #720 on: 11 September, 2010, 08:45:20 am »
+1 to Tewdric
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Clandy

« Reply #721 on: 11 September, 2010, 09:06:17 am »
Ok, I apologise. There was nothing wrong with the dog owner risking clotheslining a cyclist. There was absolutely no danger at all to myself or the dog or other cyclists.  
Obviously the cycle track was built purely for pedestrians to play in and I have no right whatsoever to expect to use it at slower than walking pace for more than 5 metres at a time without stopping. What on Earth was I thinking.

« Reply #722 on: 11 September, 2010, 09:09:08 am »
Clandy,  
   that's not good enough. Not good enough at all. On sighting any pedestrian on the cycle path, you should lay your bike down and prostrate yourself at their feet. On sighting any domestic pet, you should offer your leg as a tasty snack, indeed the thoughtful cyclist will carry a waterbottle of gravy to make it more tasty.  And while you're at it, get those sackcloth cycling shorts on right now.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #723 on: 11 September, 2010, 09:18:35 am »
I inspected the path yesterday.

Stupid design...

Moronic pedestrians and drivers...

FAIL all round.

But not the end of the world.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #724 on: 11 September, 2010, 09:37:34 am »
It sounds like one of the main problems with the new facility is that it has now forced cyclists into a choice between using a facility not fit for the purpose of getting from A to B (but fine for pootling families), or using the road and being subjected to closer, more dangerous overtakes (due to the carriageway now being narrower than it was) and aggravation from motorists who can't see why they're not using the "perfectly good cycle lane over there".

You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike