Author Topic: The most terrifying road you've ever cycled on  (Read 34695 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: The most terrifying road you've ever cycled on
« Reply #175 on: 06 February, 2020, 10:14:37 am »
.... And the A420 from Chippenham to Swindon? Doesn't exist. UK road numbers are weird.

(checks on 1947 map....)

That section used to be the A420, but is now A3102 and B4069.
Thanks.  :thumbsup: I thought there must be some explanation like that, but wouldn't have known which roads.

And the A3102 from Wootton Basset to the M4 is also a horrible road, as is the B4005 from there to Wroughton. But difficult to avoid except by going up Broadtown (puff, gasp) Hill and adding quite a few extra miles.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #176 on: 06 February, 2020, 10:17:59 am »
Yes!

« Reply #177 on: 25 February, 2020, 07:41:42 am »
I took up cycling 30+ years ago when finding it too stressful to drive and park in central London. Initially I would pedal round the block at night and return covered in sweat, but my 8 mile commute was quickly transformed.

I was soon enjoying longer solo rides using the same roads as my car journeys, the A12 to Southend, A10, A40 towards Oxford, A4 to Wales and A30 to Guildford and beyond.

Cycling NE from Barnet along the St Albans Road leads (un-announced) to the S Mimms Roundabout (J M25/A1)  Four lanes with traffic up to 60mph. There are three exits to cross before reaching the safety of the turn to the services with St Albans beyond. I cycled this regularly. It always amazed how anyone could have designed this with no thought for anything other than motor vehicles!

A client bought The Belfry Hotel (M40 J7) run down and fire damaged in the 1990’s  I was soon cycling the 50 miles from North London for the weekly site meetings using the N Circular and A40.

Both sons attended Portsmouth Uni. Occasionally I would cycle down, sometimes this would involve the A3. Each time I would end up on the Havant bypass resulting in 2 lanes of fierce traffic (from the A3(M))? joining from my left at around 70mph. Bloody dangerous, but I never saw any signage beforehand of what was going to happen.

10-12 years ago I was commuting twice a week to Chiswick along 15 miles of the North Circular. I also had a regular commute to Iver, helping a clubmate with new offices by Pinewood, this involved 12 miles of N Circular to Hanger lane and 10 miles along the A40 (there is an intermittent cycle lane, but I never used it. I also used the N.Circular from Willesden to home after the club’s weekly turbo sessions.

Cycling the A406 North Circular was a normal activity.  The most interesting section being Eastbound dropping off the Brent Cross Flyover, holding the dotted white line thro 300 yards of no-mans-land, with traffic either side moving on and off the A41 at 40mph+ and me in the middle. Always a relief to reach the armco where the roads divided.

One Friday afternoon riding to Abingdon on the Airnimal I used the elevated section of A40 Westway from Marylebone Road but was shocked at the amount of debris in the nearside where I had to cycle. The chances of flatting was high and I was vulnerable high up on the flyover. This was never repeated.

I was surprised to be stopped and spot fined on A120, and lectured as to how dangerous it was. I’d inadvertently pedaled past a single No Cycling sign many miles back. At the time it looked to me a wide and clear road with excellent visibility and safe for cycling quickly.

I have use of cottage in  Sennen, Cornwall. I used to cycle a couple of times a year, occasionally there and back over a weekend. Often replicating the journey by car just using the A30/303. Its flatter and faster now than when I started with dual carriageway practically from Exeter to LE. Leaving the office after work I could bat down the A303 through the middle of the night when it was mostly empty.  I had a few scenic runs over Dartmoor thro Tavistock etc but that route was too hilly for me and took a lot longer. Riding through the night with short stops the 500km trip would take around 24hrs.

On a later run at 2am on the A303 I caught 2 unicyclists on their way to the Henge from London for the summer solstice, with 3’ wheels and short handlebars. They were part of a Hackney based Unicycle hockey team. A couple of hours later I fell asleep and came down very hard. Later found I’d damaged the AC joint in my left shoulder which still gives grief.

But over the last decade I've slowed up and don't have the grunt or confidence to mix it with traffic on 'their' fast roads anymore
One regret. I never cycled the Hogarth flyover at Chiswick. Has anyone achieved this?

My vote for worst "designed" road for cyclists must go to Cycle England's absurd scheme both sides of A105 from Enfield to N Circular. This cycle lane been driven thro the middle of the pavement in front of my local shops and through all of the bus stops, is littered with ramps, razor sharp kerbs, changes of surface and direction, 1m high posts and half dinner plates set in the surface to deter vehicles from trespassing!  It could only work for people pottering around on bikes or with children in tow. Negotiating these cycle lanes is by far the most stressful part of my present commute into central London.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #178 on: 25 February, 2020, 08:10:46 am »
On a later run at 2am on the A303 I caught 2 unicyclists on their way to the Henge from London for the summer solstice, with 3’ wheels and short handlebars. They were part of a Hackney based Unicycle hockey team.
;D ;D ;D
A couple of hours later I fell asleep and came down very hard. Later found I’d damaged the AC joint in my left shoulder which still gives grief.
:( :( :(

Davef

« Reply #179 on: 25 February, 2020, 08:46:03 am »
Pont de Normandie to get to Le Havre. You are separated from the motorway traffic by a protective white line and there was a monster gale trying to blow me into the oncoming traffic. I resorted to scooting along.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #180 on: 25 February, 2020, 09:00:25 am »
I was surprised to be stopped and spot fined on A120, and lectured as to how dangerous it was. I’d inadvertently pedaled past a single No Cycling sign many miles back. At the time it looked to me a wide and clear road with excellent visibility and safe for cycling quickly.

One regret. I never cycled the Hogarth flyover at Chiswick. Has anyone achieved this?

You would likely be fined if you did that, too, for having ignored the "only cars and motorcycles" sign".

« Reply #181 on: 25 February, 2020, 09:19:38 am »

You would likely be fined if you did that, too, for having ignored the "only cars and motorcycles" sign".

If you get caught, and if you failed to plead ignorance. I'd be tempted doing it at Audax'o'clock in the morning but the only time I'm out that way at that kind of time I'm going the other way.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #182 on: 25 February, 2020, 09:38:32 am »

If you get caught, and if you failed to plead ignorance. I'd be tempted doing it at Audax'o'clock in the morning but the only time I'm out that way at that kind of time I'm going the other way.
You could go for the Full Monty and do it in the wrong direction  :demon:

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #183 on: 25 February, 2020, 10:48:57 am »

And in the dark with no lights  :)

« Reply #184 on: 25 February, 2020, 10:50:18 am »
It could only work for people pottering around on bikes or with children in tow.

*So* *close* to getting it.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #185 on: 25 February, 2020, 11:40:32 am »

You wouldn’t get caught like that, on account of being invisible.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #186 on: 25 February, 2020, 12:04:46 pm »
Good luck with that, it's pretty much just the width of a car for most of it:-

https://goo.gl/maps/jv9QnshpiCqmQchS6

Bailout space over the railings involves a nice 30' drop too.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #187 on: 25 February, 2020, 01:18:01 pm »
Quite a lot of the A406 is off-limits to non-motorised traffic these days.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #188 on: 26 February, 2020, 08:27:29 am »
Probably down Garrowby Hill. Got to 74 km/h last time just coasting. Side winds can be off-putting.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #189 on: 26 February, 2020, 08:39:25 am »
Good luck with that, it's pretty much just the width of a car for most of it:-

https://goo.gl/maps/jv9QnshpiCqmQchS6

Bailout space over the railings involves a nice 30' drop too.
There used to be a flyover in Bristol a similar width. Cycling was banned there too, IIRC. It had the added thrill of being made in rickety sections which thumped and shook visibly as you crossed the joins. I think it featured on some episodes of Casualty.

« Reply #190 on: 01 March, 2020, 06:35:41 pm »

You wouldn’t get caught like that, on account of being invisible.
Yeah, my strategy for not getting caught after finding myself on the M40 wasn't quite as drastic. I did switch my rear lights from flashing to solid, though! Hopefully passed for a motorcycle stopped on the hard shoulder...

« Reply #191 on: 25 June, 2020, 03:44:06 pm »
The A5, I thought, out of Shrewsbury to Wellington. It sort of morphed into a motorway slip road.
I unloaded the bike at a bridge crossing the road and carried the panniers up the concrete slope, then the bike and put them over the railings.
Ten minutes later I was in a bucolic Salop hamlet with a working smithy and all was quiet and slow again.

Ps I've just remembered I had an out of date OS map!
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #192 on: 25 June, 2020, 05:08:00 pm »
I'm only familiar with the Staffs bits of the A5, but I don't think I've ever knowingly cycled along it. It's bad enough crossing the damn thing...

ppg

« Reply #193 on: 25 June, 2020, 05:47:32 pm »
It wasn't in the early 80's

It should have been  :o

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #194 on: 25 June, 2020, 05:53:02 pm »
Ended up on the A308 towards Staines yesterday evening. Luckily it was sunny and the traffic wasn't too heavy, but I did panic a bit when the speed limit increased to 50mph  :o
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #195 on: 25 June, 2020, 06:26:25 pm »
Exit of the Cherwell Valley services at around 7am. I'd stopped for breakfast and a snooze on an overnight 300km DIY. I got as far as the roundabout and chickened out. Exited via the woodland path from the back of the lorry park onto some relatively quiet B roads.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #196 on: 26 June, 2020, 11:33:49 am »
Pont de Normandie to get to Le Havre. You are separated from the motorway traffic by a protective white line and there was a monster gale trying to blow me into the oncoming traffic. I resorted to scooting along.

Joining this very late, but when I last rode over it (2004) there was a completely separated pedestrian/bike lane on the western side of the bridge. It was joyful to stop at the top and look down at the ships below, which looked like toy boats.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #197 on: 27 June, 2020, 12:02:36 am »

Joining this very late, but when I last rode over it (2004) there was a completely separated pedestrian/bike lane on the western side of the bridge. It was joyful to stop at the top and look down at the ships below, which looked like toy boats.

Current arrangement (as of 2016) looks like this (view from the north, path is on the east):

Wowbagger is, quite sensibly, riding on the footway.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #198 on: 27 June, 2020, 12:56:01 am »
It wasn't in the early 80's

It should have been  :o

You mean it should've been off-limits to motorised traffic.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #199 on: 27 June, 2020, 05:17:48 pm »

I was going north-south so over the other side of the bridge. I think you can just about see the sign for the pedestrian/bike path over on the right in that shot.
Current arrangement (as of 2016) looks like this (view from the north, path is on the east):

Wowbagger is, quite sensibly, riding on the footway.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?