Author Topic: Devon C2C on a Brompton?  (Read 1270 times)

Devon C2C on a Brompton?
« on: 01 July, 2018, 05:31:20 pm »
My plans to do the Devon C2C are being thwarted at every step. I seemed to have found a solution to my car parking situation and I was going to take the train from Plymouth to Barnstaple on the homeward leg, only they don't take full-sized bikes on the train from Exeter to Barnstaple (or does anyone know better?).
So, I was thinking of doing it with my Brompton. I have a decent sized front bag for a two-nighter trip in bunkhouses to cut down on gear.
Is a Brompton up to it? I have an M6L & I'm thinking of having the reduced gearing option fitted when I get the BB recall done.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Re: Devon C2C on a Brompton?
« Reply #1 on: 01 July, 2018, 05:55:11 pm »
I've done it on a Brompton with camping gear. I don't recall anything particularly hilly.

Though I'm pretty certain local GWR trains taking full size bikes no problem.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 01 July, 2018, 06:51:59 pm »
Given appropriate gearing, Bromptons climb hills just fine.  Indeed, that's the only time where they aren't frustratingly less efficient than most other bikes of equivalent weight (sure, they're a bit bendy, but that doesn't really slow you down).

If you can make the luggage work, then the only reason not to do it is that some of us would class riding long distances on a Brompton as Type 2 fun (OTOH, there are plenty of people who do all sorts of silly rides on them, and get on with them just fine).

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #3 on: 01 July, 2018, 07:03:01 pm »
Fhoot and I did it on our Bromptons about 6 years ago when my niece wanted to ride as part of her IBC. We chose those as we were rather worried about getting 4 full size bikes back from Barnstaple (her younger brother having decided he was coming too). I am pretty sure at the time there was an official policy of only 2 bikes and no reservations possible. Of course that may have changed  now. I only have a 3 speed albeit with reduced gearing, and did have to walk up some inclines. However otherwise it was fine at the speed and distance we needed to cover - Plymouth to Barnstaple, no extension towards Ilfracombe, in 2days staying in the yha at Okehampton.