Author Topic: Harwich Harbour Ferry ?  (Read 1235 times)

Harwich Harbour Ferry ?
« on: 18 August, 2018, 07:16:14 pm »
I've got to get from Mildenhall to Harwich for the overnight ferry on the Bank Holiday Monday.    I'll probably get a train from Bury St Edmonds to Ipswich & ride from there. 

The webpage for the little ferry between Shotley & Harwich suggests that booking is advisable during busy periods.   Does the panel think this sensible ?

The other option would involve riding down to Manningtree and the B1352.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
Re: Harwich Harbour Ferry ?
« Reply #1 on: 18 August, 2018, 08:11:54 pm »
I would book.

Shotly to Manningtree and Manningtree to Hawrich route were perfectly acceptable cycling roads when I used them four years ago
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #2 on: 20 August, 2018, 03:40:20 pm »
I would also book.

We used it last year to get to the Harwich-Hoek ferry and it was pretty full so book a space to avoid having to wait until the next crossing.

Also, we intended to use it yesterday having camped in a pub near Harwich on Saturday night only to discover they had made the decision to cancel all crossings on account of the expected high south westerly winds. If you have booked I understand they attempt to make contact to let you know of such issues.

Fortunately we had been on the website the evening before so knew it wasn't running but that didn't improve our return journey from Harwich, largely into the actual strong south westerly winds as we went back the long way round to Ipswich!
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #3 on: 20 August, 2018, 03:44:56 pm »
Definitely book.

When I got the ferry over this year, two guys at the Port had rode from Dorset. We were stood on the quayside watching all the motorists let on ahead of us. They promptly went to their cabin upon boarding and crashed out.

Bear in mind you have to queue with the other road traffic to go through passport control, you can't board with a bike as a pedestrian.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #4 on: 20 August, 2018, 04:00:52 pm »
Wrong ferry.

The Harwich-Shotley-Felixstowe crossing is peds and bikes only. I think you are referring to the Harwich-Hoek which is a boat on a very different scale.

Good advice though.

« Reply #5 on: 20 August, 2018, 04:02:39 pm »

The other option would involve riding down to Manningtree and the B1352.

It's not the only other option, I'd avoid the B1352 and use the southerly roads along the peninsula, NCN route 51. It's a little longer but much quieter and less undulating.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #6 on: 20 August, 2018, 04:03:04 pm »
Yes.... I'm a crap reader.

Recommended crossing though for any european bike tours!
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.