Author Topic: Gaggia Classic worth it ?  (Read 1259 times)

Gaggia Classic worth it ?
« on: 15 January, 2015, 11:30:48 pm »
Many espresso machines out there with bells and whistles whereas Gaggia say the classic just makes killer espresso. Rancilio Silvio is pretty pricey so im wondering if the £230 gaggia is a decent machine ?

Re: Gaggia Classic worth it ?
« Reply #1 on: 16 January, 2015, 06:12:49 am »
If you get one, head over to coffeeforuns UK and read up on how to use it as it requires considerable knowledge to get consistent decent results out of it. You'll also need to spend at least £300 on a grinder (Just accept that as fact)

If that all seems daunting, and you arent prepared to devote yourself then just buy a Nespresso machine. They are cheaper, easier, and the results arent bad.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #2 on: 17 January, 2015, 09:32:37 am »
I have had one for years and it makes decent espresso almost all of the time (with a £200 grinder). Where I occasionally fail is when I switch beans and don't know in which direction I should adjust the grind - the first few come out as dribblers or gushers. A notch or two either way and it's fine. I suspect Flaatuus is referring to the crude temperature cycling of the cheaper machines.

Best thing I did was adjust the pump pressure down to 9 bar. When I bought my machine they were pushing their pod things and were set to about 12 bar to cope with the little teabag things. They've dropped those now so maybe they come out of the factory at a more sensible pressure.

With a decent grinder and regular cleaning (backflushing with detergent) there's no reason why you can't make better espresso than many high street chains.

« Reply #3 on: 17 January, 2015, 09:44:02 am »
I suspect Flaatuus is referring to the crude temperature cycling of the cheaper machines.

Yes, exactly that. It is the temperature stability that is the issue, and unless you realise that there isn't any on the cheaper non hx single boiler machines you'll be eternally frustrated by the inconsistency of the shots.  I had a Rancilio Silvia for years, and unfortunately most of those years were prior to the existence of any internet coffee forums where such things are discussed.  I just couldn't understand why I could pull amazing shots sometimes but other times they were disgusting, when all the known variables (dose, tamp, shot length) were consistent.   Once I discovered what was going on I couldn't be arsed with 'temperature surfing'  so I fitted a PID which transformed the machine totally.  The same can be done with a Classic.

With a decent grinder and regular cleaning (backflushing with detergent) there's no reason why you can't make better espresso than many high street chains.

Indeed.  Although I think some of the chains are upping their game a bit. It is the independent cafés/pubs/restaurants that are the problem