Author Topic: RESIGN!  (Read 19933 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: RESIGN!
« Reply #75 on: 18 December, 2016, 05:52:36 pm »
Yes, it was the two-handed shake that really gave me that impression. Consummate politician.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #76 on: 18 December, 2016, 07:32:00 pm »
Consummate politician.
That's quite the politest way of saying untrustworthy, incompetent and oleaginous shit that I've seen in some while.  I'll have to remember it for when I'm next in polite company. :)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #77 on: 18 December, 2016, 07:38:21 pm »
And of course if you overtake on the outside you're probably less likely to get doored (and it's generally easier to avoid the door zone), but if you are, you get all this plus the effect of being bounced into oncoming traffic.
I suppose one of the items in the mix is the prevalence of single-occupancy cars.  One won't get doored on the left of a car with only a driver in.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #78 on: 18 December, 2016, 08:17:53 pm »
Worrying that we've got to the point where you can reasonably expect most cars not to be carrying passengers...

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #79 on: 19 December, 2016, 07:57:35 am »
Worrying that we've got to the point where you can reasonably expect most cars not to be carrying passengers...
Sadly, I think we passed that point a good long while ago.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #80 on: 19 December, 2016, 12:12:12 pm »
I'm not sure I get what the people objecting to filtering on the left would do in that situation. It's a busy urban road, you are riding along near the left, other traffic is overtaking you. Then the cars stop, then they start, then they stop again, because that is how motor traffic behaves in urban areas. When the cars stop, you and they are still at pretty much the same distance from the kerb. There is still the same space in front of you. Are you to stop every time something next to you stops? That would take a long time to get anywhere; even longer than in a car, because you would spend the same time stopped but your peak speeds are lower. Filtering on the right isn't often feasible because you have to get there, and also because when the cars start moving again, they will be undertaking you, leaving you as the slow vehicle between two opposing lanes.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #81 on: 19 December, 2016, 01:46:56 pm »
They are objecting because they think it's normal - and the correct way of the universe - to overtake with a car, but they object to other road-users overtaking them. There must be some sort of crime being commited!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #82 on: 19 December, 2016, 03:56:54 pm »
I'm not sure I get what the people objecting to filtering on the left would do in that situation. It's a busy urban road, you are riding along near the left, other traffic is overtaking you. Then the cars stop, then they start, then they stop again, because that is how motor traffic behaves in urban areas. When the cars stop, you and they are still at pretty much the same distance from the kerb. There is still the same space in front of you. Are you to stop every time something next to you stops? That would take a long time to get anywhere; even longer than in a car, because you would spend the same time stopped but your peak speeds are lower. Filtering on the right isn't often feasible because you have to get there, and also because when the cars start moving again, they will be undertaking you, leaving you as the slow vehicle between two opposing lanes.
+1

« Reply #83 on: 19 December, 2016, 04:10:31 pm »
Perhaps this has already been covered, if so, forgive me.  I read somewhere that Mr Grayling had opined to the victim that he was cycling too fast?  So, presumably he saw him coming and opened the door anyway, or looked and didn't see anyone, opened the door and suddenly the rider was upon him.  I think we must be thinking in terms of a cyclist with Therapeutic Use Exemption here, to go from invisible to tangible in such a short time.  The third possibility remains that he didn't look.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #84 on: 19 December, 2016, 04:14:52 pm »
I'm not sure I get what the people objecting to filtering on the left would do in that situation. It's a busy urban road, you are riding along near the left, other traffic is overtaking you. Then the cars stop, then they start, then they stop again, because that is how motor traffic behaves in urban areas. When the cars stop, you and they are still at pretty much the same distance from the kerb. There is still the same space in front of you. Are you to stop every time something next to you stops? That would take a long time to get anywhere; even longer than in a car, because you would spend the same time stopped but your peak speeds are lower.

Depends on what I'm riding (I don't like filtering up the nearside on recumbents, because I can't see over the cars to spot pedestrians and watch what the traffic is doing) and the size of the gap.

If the cars are effectively forming a separate lane of traffic, then a decent gap is maintained and I'll filter - at relatively low speed and being cautious of pedestrians, though as discussed above, probably not slow enough to mitigate the effects of such a dooring.

But mostly the cars are moving out (closer to oncoming traffic) to overtake you, and moving back in again afterwards.  When they stop you tend to end up with a decent sized gap for a car length or two, then pot luck depending on what the drivers where doing when the traffic came to a stop (and indeed whether they move over to deliberately block filtering two-wheelers).  So you have a choice of either stay put, or filter up until the gap narrows and stop.  I'll only bother with the latter if it actually helps make a decent amount of progress - either tens of car lengths, or perhaps it allows me to reach a side road I want to turn into, cycle lane or ASL or whatever.

In stop-start traffic I'll usually take primary and wait in the queue.  It's normally on the approach to a junction, so primary is desirable and there's little to be gained by filtering.

Filtering on the right isn't often feasible because you have to get there, and also because when the cars start moving again, they will be undertaking you, leaving you as the slow vehicle between two opposing lanes.

Indeed.  And often tempts you into conflict with oncoming traffic.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #85 on: 19 December, 2016, 04:15:44 pm »
Perhaps this has already been covered, if so, forgive me.  I read somewhere that Mr Grayling had opined to the victim that he was cycling too fast?

That cyclists are going too fast is one of those 'British values' we keep hearing about.

« Reply #86 on: 19 December, 2016, 04:55:37 pm »
Perhaps this has already been covered, if so, forgive me.  I read somewhere that Mr Grayling had opined to the victim that he was cycling too fast?  So, presumably he saw him coming and opened the door anyway, or looked and didn't see anyone, opened the door and suddenly the rider was upon him.  I think we must be thinking in terms of a cyclist with Therapeutic Use Exemption here, to go from invisible to tangible in such a short time.  The third possibility remains that he didn't look.

Looking at the video, it didn't seem that the cyclist was going fast.  But I'm sure the Honourable Minister gave his opinion without realising he could watch the replay.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #87 on: 19 December, 2016, 05:13:27 pm »
From the Bumper Government Dictionary for Tossers:

cycling too fast: cycling
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #88 on: 19 December, 2016, 05:24:43 pm »
From the Bumper Government Dictionary for Tossers:

cycling too fast: cycling

I'll refine that for you

Cycling too fast: cycling faster than my car is going.

Cycling too slow: cycling slower than I want to go in my car

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #89 on: 19 December, 2016, 05:32:20 pm »
In this country generally you pay attention to the right hand side of the car. That's where overtakes come from. There are exceptions, such as left hand turn lanes.

Traffic appearing on the left is something that is low on the radar of many drivers. It shouldn't be, but it is.

As for the speed of the doored cyclist, we don't know since he doesn't not have video he is quite far ahead. Yes it is irrelevant to the case, there is no evidence of how fast he was going.
It is simpler than it looks.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #90 on: 19 December, 2016, 06:12:51 pm »
In this country generally you pay attention to the right hand side of the car. That's where overtakes come from. There are exceptions, such as left hand turn lanes.

Traffic appearing on the left is something that is low on the radar of many drivers. It shouldn't be, but it is.

When I get out of the left side of a vehicle, I give vehicles on my left a bit more attention.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #91 on: 19 December, 2016, 06:27:39 pm »
In a car park  ???

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #92 on: 19 December, 2016, 06:29:37 pm »

When I get out of the left side of a vehicle, I give vehicles on my left a bit more attention.

You are ODD!  ;) ;D
Grayling is not odd...

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #93 on: 19 December, 2016, 06:40:21 pm »
In a car park  ???
Unless it's reserved for my sole use, generally yes.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #94 on: 19 December, 2016, 06:44:53 pm »
It's fairly straightforward.

You need to think of situations from the other person's perspective, not yours.
You are quite right that everyone should look behind before opening doors, but not everyone does, because they have a different perspective to you.

It's a bit like being taken out by someone going though a red light. They shouldn't do it, but they do. If you don't have an expectation that they might RLJ, then you have a greater chance of getting hit. However right you are.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #95 on: 19 December, 2016, 06:57:50 pm »
He was right, quite right, as he rode along...

Which to my mind is a pretty good reason not to stand still in traffic. Partly that people don't expect you to, partly the danger of being rear-ended (some people rate this a high risk, I think it's very low), mostly in order to get somewhere.

« Reply #96 on: 21 December, 2016, 12:14:07 am »

Most London/big city drivers will(should!) be aware of cyclists on the inside.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #97 on: 21 December, 2016, 11:14:29 am »
Most Central London drivers.

« Reply #98 on: 12 January, 2017, 09:02:30 pm »