Author Topic: Trunk Bags.  (Read 5310 times)

Trunk Bags.
« on: 04 October, 2020, 01:02:12 pm »
I stumbled across an old sunlite trunk bag in the shed and its answered many of my wants for express touring and bike pack racing.
My set up means I'll pretty much always be riding with a pre fitted rear rack and attached rear dynamo light. Im not a big fan of underseat bike packing wind socks for the most part.  I have an arkel too but its too small.
My only concern though is how rugged it is. Ideally Id like something more bombproof and whilst not totally "throw it in a river" waterproof at least taped seam zips etc. Colour options would be nice too. (its black)
It fits snugly on the top of my tubus rack with easy on and off velcro strapping, no heavy gauge plastic hardware.  Its surprisingly light. Decent room in the top compartment. A rear compartment that has a mounting for a second light.  Cargo lashings on the top. Awesome small foldaway pannier flaps for food raids or extra water on ultra races (or picnics when touring) that can be folded away when not in use. Not too small, not too big,  just right.
Its almost the perfect bag aside from its fragility.
Any one have an alternative trunk bag option like this that I could look at?
I'm willing to go custom if there is someone out there who can build to spec.
often lost.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Trunk Bags.
« Reply #1 on: 04 October, 2020, 01:06:50 pm »
How about Mack Workshop?
https://www.mackworkshop.com/products/rack-bag
He describes it as for a front rack but I think it could probably be made to fit a rear rack – just those aren't in trend right now, whereas the front ones are! Being custom made there should be room for adapting shape to fit your rack and he's got a whole load of colours and materials to choose from.
https://www.mackworkshop.com/pages/available-colours
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2 on: 04 October, 2020, 01:11:45 pm »
Something like this ?  https://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/dry-bike-tail-bag.html#SID=152

EDIT   we already have a thread on the Lomo bag.https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=103567.0
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #3 on: 04 October, 2020, 08:32:46 pm »
I've actually just spent half an hour searching for these. 

I found the best selection on the Rosebikes site.  There were a few interesting ones I'd not seen before including this 20 litre whopper: 
https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/klickfix-rackpack-touring-for-racktime-2664458?product_shape=black&article_size=20+l

rob

« Reply #4 on: 04 October, 2020, 08:45:35 pm »
Carradice have a couple on their website.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #5 on: 04 October, 2020, 09:16:23 pm »
Anyone using the Ortlieb Trunk Bag? Should be tough and waterproof. The red one looks quite nice. https://www.ortlieb.com/uk/trunk-bag-rc+F8421

« Reply #6 on: 05 October, 2020, 12:23:26 pm »
That one looks decent Frank.
A lot of them though like that have proprietary attachment mechanisms. I think, particularly where weight is a factor, some well paced good old strips of velcro are the best and simplest option. If you already have a pannier rack surface to mount the bag on then velcro is more than enough to hold it securely. Big side panniers (like ortlieb) with lots of weight obviously need something beefier to secure them.
That ortleb trunk bag is super heavy and no longer makes a trunk with fold out panniers. Though totally waterproof
I took the sunlite bag for a decent ride yesterday and its super snug on the rack. I didn't notice it was there.
Image here (instagram link, I have failed miserably at posting photos on here)
https://www.instagram.com/p/CF7o4z6Fydw/
The sneakers up top can fit in the side pannier too when pulled out. The panniers are still small enough that they are basically still behind your body so not a wind catcher.
I'd like to take this trunk exactly the same dimensions, have it made of something a bit more hard wearing and water resistant like cordura.  Beef up the velcro and zips, and maybe make the drop down panniers with some technical material like gortex etc.
So much more user friendly than a wind sock.

often lost.

« Reply #7 on: 05 October, 2020, 12:33:25 pm »
Carradice have a couple on their website.

Hmmm. Nice.  Those drop down panniers look mahoosive though.
often lost.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #8 on: 05 October, 2020, 01:32:48 pm »
I have one of these: https://www.carradice.co.uk/bags/rack-packs-stuff-sacks/super-c-rackbag
I haven't used it for a while because I haven't used the bike with a rack for that sort of riding (it's been used for either shopping and similar, or for camping expeditions, in both cases panniers being more useful). But it is bombproof and waterproof. No fold down pockets but holds a reasonable amount. Fits to any rack with velcro straps.

It's main disadvantage is that I've found it's often difficult to open the lid without catching on the saddle. To avoid this, I either used it with the end pocket hanging off the back of the rack – it's rigid enough that it doesn't obscure the rack-mounted light – or back to front, with the small pocket underneath the saddle – which means that is inaccessible. If you've got more space between rack and underside of saddle this wouldn't even apply. Like most Carradice stuff, it's neither light nor cheap though.

« Reply #9 on: 05 October, 2020, 02:29:22 pm »
I'm thinking of going for one of the attachment mechanisms. It will need a new rack, but it might be worth it.

I used a velcro one on Indypac (looked very like your Sunlite one in the picture) and it was fine then, but that bag has now gone out of shape a bit and I have had it fall off a couple of times on local rides, when I've hit potholes.  It now sags over to one side and I have to use a couple of supplementary cable ties to keep it secure.   I wouldn't use that bag again for anything other than a short day ride.

I have a couple of others (admittedly they are all cheap options) and I find that the velcro on all of them seems to be designed for a wider rack than I have so doesn't work terribly well.  Also it is slightly fiddly to take on and off.

I'm more concerned with accessibility than ultra waterproofness.  So I would never buy anything Ortleib or other roll-top closures as it's too much of a faff to get into - especially with one hand behind my back while riding.  I've ruled out Lomo and Tailfin as well for that reason.  Most of the rack packs are showerproof and come with a cover for when it really comes down.  I don't bother with the cover but I put my stuff inside the pack in either dry bags or plastic bags, so it doesn't matter when a little bit of water gets in.  That works better for organising things so I'd do it anyway even if the bag was 100% waterproof (like my Arkel saddlepack).   

Good luck in your search.  I don't think you'll find exactly what you are looking for though, as I've looked at pretty much every rack pack that there is!  In the style of your Sunlite one, the one that comes up most often is the Topeak one, which is available with velcro as well as their fixing system.  But I did prefer the Klickfix ones on the Rose site, somehow. 

I'm undecided on the aero issues of fold out side panniers.  If I get time I will actually do some of my own testing on them as they may well be ok.  They do shield the back wheel a bit which would be positive for aeros.  If they are ok I may well go back to that style too. 

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #10 on: 05 October, 2020, 04:36:39 pm »
There is an Ortlieb bag with waterproof zip. Maybe easier access than the roll top version. Though is a bit smaller, and more expensive. https://www.ortlieb.com/uk/trunk-bag+F8410

Would agree about velcro straps, works fine if the rack is wide enough. Annoyingly some of the Tubus racks are a bit too narrow.

The Racktime Snap-It system looks interesting, quite a few bags available.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 05 October, 2020, 08:47:32 pm »
A lot of them though like that have proprietary attachment mechanisms.

The Racktime mechanism is proprietary, but is sensibly engineered (with a minimum of hardware on the rack itself - just a set of strategically-positioned holes) and seems to be sufficiently well-adopted that it passes for a standard - at least in Germany, and probably by association the Netherlands.  If you happen to have a Racktime rack (eg. because your sensible German city or trekking bike came with one, or because you need a new rack anyway and one of the Racktime models is suitable) then it's a bit of a no-brainer.

I used the KLICKfix GTA system for the battery box on barakta's trike.  I was more interested in ergonomics and availability than weight.  It works well enough for the purpose, but it's an ugly, over-engineered solution.

You can get the attachment hardware for both of these to fit to any bag.

I think I've only ever seen the Topeak mechanism in the wild in the UK.  Seems to work okay, but only a fairly limited selection of bags and racks use it.

Otherwise, yes, Velcro is lightweight and universal.  If somewhat more faff and prone to wearing out.  And you can't lock it to the bike.

« Reply #12 on: 05 October, 2020, 09:42:59 pm »
Just back from a grocery shop and that sunlite is just too good to pass up on. Along with the Rando box up front they swallowed up the shopping (to the tune of the bike weighing in over 62lb) and it all felt just so solid and balanced.
I think your right Frank, I doubt if there is anything else out there that is the same format. I'll have a dig around and see if anyone can make one up out of more rugged stuff as a custom. There are a couple of sail makers I know here on the Island who may take the job on. If not, meantime I'll use this one hard and maybe replace it in the Summer if and when the endurance races kick off. Im not a fan of the roll top bags either. I have a cavernous set of ortliebs for casual slow pace touring but they are too unwieldy and time-consuming for racing etc.

I had a klick fix for an ortlieb bar bag Kim which worked pretty well.  Id rather use velcro though where poss though.
often lost.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #13 on: 05 October, 2020, 10:03:53 pm »
i've got some sketches of custom prototypes i want to make for myself (both a rack and a tail bag). i've got someone to make a rack, still keep searching who could make a custom bag, from ortlieb type material, ultrasonically welded. aerodynamic shape and weighing under 600g ideally (rack+bag).

« Reply #14 on: 05 October, 2020, 11:04:35 pm »
There is an Ortlieb bag with waterproof zip. Maybe easier access than the roll top version.
Waterproof (or even water resistant) zips are generally stiff enough to need two hands. I wouldn't expect to be able to reach back and get in whilst riding.

« Reply #15 on: 05 October, 2020, 11:21:56 pm »

Would agree about velcro straps, works fine if the rack is wide enough. Annoyingly some of the Tubus racks are a bit too narrow.

The Racktime Snap-It system looks interesting, quite a few bags available.

I've got a Tubus Fly.   The rack rails on those are not parallel, and I suspect those Ortlieb bags need the rails to be parallel. Shame, as they look very nice.

« Reply #16 on: 06 October, 2020, 09:54:01 am »
i've got some sketches of custom prototypes i want to make for myself (both a rack and a tail bag). i've got someone to make a rack, still keep searching who could make a custom bag, from ortlieb type material, ultrasonically welded. aerodynamic shape and weighing under 600g ideally (rack+bag).

Kickstarter!

« Reply #17 on: 06 October, 2020, 10:46:20 am »
We use an Arkel on the tandem and I think it's the only velcro attached bag I've had that didn't destroy my shorts. I'd never choose it as a mounting system, not without trying it out on a substantial distance. I like the idea of the drop down panniers (we did have a bag with some, back in the mists) but I made drybag panniers with ortleib mounting kits which worked better.

I haven't got rack mounts on my current solos. It's making luggage options a bit of a PITA.

I'd offer to make up zigzags prototype bag but I don't have an ultrasonic welder...

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #18 on: 06 October, 2020, 10:52:25 am »

Kickstarter!

..is good for mass production runs, less so for one bespoke item. one-size-fits-most would increase the weight by ~200-300g i reckon, at which point it stops being attractive. always open to ideas!

« Reply #19 on: 06 October, 2020, 11:02:04 am »
OK, custom fit for your bike.  I was going to say I would most likely buy one based on that description, and I expect quite a few others would as well!

« Reply #20 on: 06 October, 2020, 11:08:09 am »
We use an Arkel on the tandem and I think it's the only velcro attached bag I've had that didn't destroy my shorts. I'd never choose it as a mounting system, not without trying it out on a substantial distance. I like the idea of the drop down panniers (we did have a bag with some, back in the mists) but I made drybag panniers with ortleib mounting kits which worked better.

I haven't got rack mounts on my current solos. It's making luggage options a bit of a PITA.

I'd offer to make up zigzags prototype bag but I don't have an ultrasonic welder...

I tested velcro riding Perth to Melbourne and it was fine.  Just it failed the next time I used it going from Ealing to High Wycombe!  Admittedly there are more potholes on the A40 than in Australia so maybe that figures.

Mounts are becoming harder and harder.  I was toying with the idea of a new bike and have looked at a few models recently and the trend seems to be that rack mounts are going but also brake bridges, normal seat clamps and fork crown holes.  So mounting lights and mudguards is getting harder and harder, never mind racks.

On a bike with a standard seat clamp you can usually fit a rack by swapping for a clamp which has mounting points on it, and adaptors exist to fit racks (and mudguards) to quick releases or through axles.  But the trend for built-in seat clamps could be a showstopper.

« Reply #21 on: 06 October, 2020, 11:25:42 am »
I'm looking at the Tailfin stuff but even aside from HOW MUCH??!!?? it looks like they have roll-top closures which I don't really like for something I'm in and out of at every stop. I'll put up with it for £30 but not if I'm paying out £300.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #22 on: 06 October, 2020, 11:32:34 am »

than you for your kind offer, i'll think about this idea over the winter and see what else manifests in my mind.

OK, custom fit for your bike.  I was going to say I would most likely buy one based on that description, and I expect quite a few others would as well!

i'd buy it myself, but no one makes it! ;D

On a bike with a standard seat clamp you can usually fit a rack by swapping for a clamp which has mounting points on it, and adaptors exist to fit racks (and mudguards) to quick releases or through axles.  But the trend for built-in seat clamps could be a showstopper.

this could be resolved by machining a custom bracket, but i agree that integration is limiting mounting the options, integrated stem-handlebar and tt bars (in)compatibility another good example.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #23 on: 06 October, 2020, 11:38:33 am »
We use an Arkel on the tandem and I think it's the only velcro attached bag I've had that didn't destroy my shorts.
I can see how velcro destroys fabric (the velcro closure on my winter boots eats through the ankles of all my favourite woolly socks  :( ) but I'm puzzled as to how something on a rack gets at your shorts. Or is it on one of those seatpost cantilevered racks?

« Reply #24 on: 06 October, 2020, 12:09:22 pm »

Kickstarter!

..is good for mass production runs, less so for one bespoke item. one-size-fits-most would increase the weight by ~200-300g i reckon, at which point it stops being attractive. always open to ideas!

The Island here was awash with techie geeks and engineers during the Americas Cup a couple of years back. A fair few of them were well into the cycling scene during their 2 year tenure. You would have had your pick of candidates to make you up something aero, waterproof and space age. Unfortunately the Americas cup peddled off into the Sunset when Team New Zealand swapped out out all the grinders on the winning boat for bicycles and took the event home.
often lost.