Author Topic: the food rant thread  (Read 228649 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: the food rant thread
« Reply #1500 on: 15 February, 2019, 08:35:03 am »
There is an argument* that going to "craft beer places" is where you're going wrong.

* OK, it's just my personal whinge. I have an irrational dislike of the adjective "craft" when applied to beer. Craft knife, yes. Arts and craft movement, yes. Kraft cheese, if I'm having a "life on the edge" moment, yes. Craft beer? No. Beer. Or an ironic "pint of foaming ale."
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

ian

« Reply #1501 on: 15 February, 2019, 10:09:42 am »
It's true that I hang around under the train viaduct through Bermondsey like a hipster troll. Hackney is a bit too dangerous after the Vegan Pizza Incident. Dunno what else to call it other than craft beer. It's made by people rather than big machines and tastes like something.

Those pita chips have spread through London though. The principle that they may you drink more might be sound, but it's desperate sort of drinking to remove the mouth of clag. God knows, you don't want to be knocking back a pint of £20 barleywine in desperate effort to clear your mouth of what feels like the chewed-up cardboard aftermath of a large Ikea delivery.

I think the Bottleshop has started selling little pots of hum(m)us to go with them (coming from a sales background, I admire their upsellery) but really, I'd rather eat a fresh, warm pita with my hum(m)us, rather than a lump of dried pita.

fuzzy

« Reply #1502 on: 15 February, 2019, 11:18:23 am »
It's true that I hang around under the train viaduct through Bermondsey like a hipster troll. Hackney is a bit too dangerous after the Vegan Pizza Incident. Dunno what else to call it other than craft beer. It's made by people rather than big machines and tastes like something.

Those pita chips have spread through London though. The principle that they may you drink more might be sound, but it's desperate sort of drinking to remove the mouth of clag. God knows, you don't want to be knocking back a pint of £20 barleywine in desperate effort to clear your mouth of what feels like the chewed-up cardboard aftermath of a large Ikea delivery.

I think the Bottleshop has started selling little pots of hum(m)us to go with them (coming from a sales background, I admire their upsellery) but really, I'd rather eat a fresh, warm pita with my hum(m)us, rather than a lump of dried pita.

Call it beer. Other beers that don't taste of beer are called piss.

« Reply #1503 on: 15 February, 2019, 12:17:27 pm »

largest brick structure in the world [/architectural nerd hat]

ian

« Reply #1504 on: 15 February, 2019, 01:20:21 pm »
And those bricks probably taste better (and are easier to eat) than Souffle's pita chips, I'm sure.

rr

« Reply #1505 on: 15 February, 2019, 05:29:13 pm »

I thought that was the Stockport one, or does it depend on your definition of largest?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

« Reply #1506 on: 15 February, 2019, 06:08:53 pm »

I thought that was the Stockport one, or does it depend on your definition of largest?

Constructed from the most bricks, I think.
A smidge under 4.5 miles in length - From London Bridge Station to Penny Hatch Bridge at Deptford Creek.
Starts out (at least) 15 (railway) lines wide.
That's a lot of bricks to chew through.
Out of curiosity, what are the stats on the Stockport one?

« Reply #1507 on: 15 February, 2019, 06:22:06 pm »
I was going through an industrial estate the other day, been a busy morning and had no brekkie, and I could smell SAUSAGES cooking. Ah, thinks GC, a sausage butty would be Just The Thing to keep a Ginger Cat going.

Found the source of The Smell. It was a new place, called "sausage revolution" or somesuch strange name. To be fair, it did look a bit overly-trendy for White Van Cat (=GC working), but worth a look.

I went in, it was hipster-heaven. Boards all round with long menus. I must have looked confused as the bod behind the counter started explaining the way their "system" worked. Something about choosing a brioche (brioche- for sausages??? WTF) or pizza base (!!!!!) then stage 1 filling then something else.... (GC lost track at that point).   ???

"But I just want a sausage butty" says GC plainitively. Bods behind the counter looked shocked and tittered a bit. So GC turned and left, butty-less.

Is this place a chain of some sort? It kinda felt like it, but I'm a decade or so behind the times on such things.

This place is in an industrial estate next door to a branch of Lyndon Scaffolding and over the road from a tank-wash place. Can't see it being there very long.

GC

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1508 on: 15 February, 2019, 06:31:24 pm »
(brioche- for sausages??? WTF) or pizza base (!!!!!) then stage 1 filling then something else....

Is this real or did you dream an episode of Nathan Barley?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1509 on: 15 February, 2019, 06:36:06 pm »
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #1510 on: 16 February, 2019, 10:03:16 am »
(brioche- for sausages??? WTF) or pizza base (!!!!!) then stage 1 filling then something else....

Is this real or did you dream an episode of Nathan Barley?

It's real. Sadly.

« Reply #1511 on: 16 February, 2019, 10:08:39 am »
This place?

Yup, that's the one. The first menu wasn't as long- only had choice of brioche bun, pizza base or mash, but the rest looked about right. I didn't get beyond the 2nd stage options before becoming befuzzled.

I did wonder if it was some sort of chain, but it's an odd place they are in, I could understand in a "regenerated" docklands or sommat but in an industrial estate? The prices were high for the local area too. Bear in mind the nearby town has a Greggs outlet store (i.e. all the Greggs reject stuff) as it's not exactly well off.

Putting a normal Greggs there would probably be much more lucrative (I'm not knocking Greggs, quite the opposite in fact, on one of my regular runs out to a particular client I always stop in the same service station for a Greggs bacon & sausage baguette & cup of tea brekkie and buy my lunch there too- good honest White Van Cat grub).

GC

citoyen

the food rant thread
« Reply #1512 on: 16 February, 2019, 12:07:24 pm »
You have to be a special kind of idiot to overthink a sausage sandwich to that extent.

As it happens, I had a sausage sandwich for breakfast this morning. Sausages, bread, ketchup, mustard. That’s all. It’s really not difficult to get right.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1513 on: 16 February, 2019, 12:54:18 pm »

A smidge under 4.5 miles in length - From London Bridge Station to Penny Hatch Bridge at Deptford Creek.

And I thought it was the chimney of the Anaconda Smelter, but it turns out that's just the tallest and only contains a paltry 2.5 million bricks (albeit oversized ones).
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1514 on: 16 February, 2019, 02:06:00 pm »
Do they have a licence from CITES to smelt anacondas?

<slithers into a hole>
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1515 on: 16 February, 2019, 05:07:04 pm »

60 million bricks.

Double the number of the Kilsby Tunnel...
It is simpler than it looks.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1516 on: 18 February, 2019, 06:56:25 am »
Caesar salad with bacon but no anchovies, I ask you?

But it was in Ashford, what do they know?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

« Reply #1517 on: 18 February, 2019, 09:45:49 am »
The lack of anchovies seems to be the common failing of caesar salad. I dunno, if you don't like anchovies perhaps don't order the dish that contains them.

Salads, 'restaurants' can't make them.

citoyen

« Reply #1518 on: 18 February, 2019, 09:53:38 am »
You know, I'd forgotten that Casesar salad was supposed to have anchovies in it. I used to make an ersatz version for my son, tamed down for a young palate (with Paul Newman's ranch dressing instead of an authentic Caesar dressing), but he would probably like anchovies now. He even mentioned in a text message the other day that he had willingly eaten olives without being forced.

« Reply #1519 on: 01 March, 2019, 08:34:43 pm »
I bought a big 750g tub of olives from Costco. Carried them home in my bag without incident & put them in the fridge.  Tonight I opened them for the first time, popped the plastic tab & took the lid off, peeled back the clingfilm and was rewarded with a gush of brine, all over my kitchen floor from an unnoticed split in the bottom if the tub.  Olives are now in a big glass bowl, but I've no clingfilm.  Can I eat them all before they start to go off ? 

The cucumber I bought the other day has already gone squidgy & is leaking.  Tonights salad is going to be basic.   :(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1520 on: 01 March, 2019, 08:41:52 pm »
Can't you make your own brine and use a/some glass screw-topped jar(s) and refrigerate?

« Reply #1521 on: 01 March, 2019, 09:10:59 pm »
That's Plan A.   Plan B is to see how many unstoned green olives I can eat in the next few days..... :jurek:

« Reply #1522 on: 01 March, 2019, 10:32:17 pm »
That's Plan A.   Plan B is to see how many unstoned green olives I can eat in the next few days..... :jurek:

Plan C - make tapenade and freeze it.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #1523 on: 01 March, 2019, 11:29:44 pm »
Green olive tapenade... my bog, it's a real thing https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/jan/20/olive-recipes-hugh-fearnley-whittingstall   I've only ever had the black stuff....

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1524 on: 01 March, 2019, 11:48:23 pm »
Mmm, tapenade  :P