Author Topic: CrAcKpOt  (Read 87800 times)

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
Re: CrAcKpOt
« Reply #400 on: 21 October, 2016, 07:20:05 pm »

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #401 on: 21 October, 2016, 07:27:12 pm »
I've enjoyed following this thread over the last year or so and, like others, have been inspired to add this to my 'must do' list. Now there is chat of a group perm and I'm getting very excited! Only trouble is that I need to get down from Edinburgh first and the dates don't quite work for me, as I have to be back home early on Sunday June 4th. I know it's still a long way out but for those who are driving the organisation of a group bash, have you any thoughts about when you might start on the Thursday? If I could negotiate things with Shaun I could fly to Bristol and, following GPS's lead, start at Keynsham and hopefully approach Poole as you are all setting out. It would be nice to think that there are others out there on the road suffering at the same time as me, even if we don't spend that long in each other's company.

What time would suit you sir?  (I have started at mid day before and the trad time is after work - eight I think?)
Ride through the first night for defo

« Reply #402 on: 21 October, 2016, 07:42:59 pm »
First flight out of Edinburgh is into Brizzle at 0930. Dump bike box at left luggage and tootle over to Keynsham for an 1130 start. Would therefore hope to be making landfall (i.e. Poole) by about the same time on Thursday. As long as I thought I was ahead of the field clearing Poole then it would be nice to have people saying, "Hello," as they overtook me. If I could limp round by lunchtime on the Saturday I'd then spend the rest of the day licking my wounds in The Star in Bath. Kip down with a pal who lives opposite and be back at the airport for the first flight to Edinburgh on the Sunday. Obviously this makes it all sound horribly straightforward. I know it won't be but have to maintain a PMA.
Your next 1200's your best 1200.

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #403 on: 21 October, 2016, 08:09:13 pm »
First flight out of Edinburgh is into Brizzle at 0930. Dump bike box at left luggage and tootle over to Keynsham for an 1130 start. Would therefore hope to be making landfall (i.e. Poole) by about the same time on Thursday. As long as I thought I was ahead of the field clearing Poole then it would be nice to have people saying, "Hello," as they overtook me. If I could limp round by lunchtime on the Saturday I'd then spend the rest of the day licking my wounds in The Star in Bath. Kip down with a pal who lives opposite and be back at the airport for the first flight to Edinburgh on the Sunday. Obviously this makes it all sound horribly straightforward. I know it won't be but have to maintain a PMA.

WHOA!  Start at 12:00 then, or 11:30?

« Reply #404 on: 21 October, 2016, 10:59:08 pm »
As long as there is a dirty laundry bin full of napkins to cover yourself in, you'll be fine.
True story

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #405 on: 22 October, 2016, 09:22:34 pm »
I'm very tempted but haven't done anything longer a (solo) hilly 500.

Would I be setting myself up for failure?

I haven't done the Crackpot, but i'm pretty sure that the answer to your question is not necessarily at all: if your hilly 500 was comparable (i.e. steep), you had a short sleep in the night, finished in reasonable shape with an hour or two in hand, and could've got back on the bike after that couple of hours if you'd had to ...and can do as much or more prep than you did for that before june then it's definitely possible.

...jumping straight to a perm Crackpot, skipping the calendar WSR stepping stone would be a bold move, but by no means impossible.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #406 on: 27 October, 2016, 02:56:37 pm »
I have pencilled the date in. I think it depends on another adventure (LE JoG on a motorbike & sidecar) and my fitness in 2017. 2016 has been the worst year of cycling in over 10 years.

H

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #407 on: 28 October, 2016, 09:20:15 pm »
We reconfirmed intentions and thrashed out some plans in between pints at last night's ACH LTotM drinkies.  It's gonnah be MEGA.

Bring on the hallucinations  :demon:

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #408 on: 28 October, 2016, 09:29:31 pm »
Let's get our swedes together and try and operate as many of the more remote/out-of-hours controls as possible - Bovey Tracey springs to mind as well as Wells

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #409 on: 28 October, 2016, 10:32:47 pm »
Vis a vis what's out of hours, is there a firmer preferred start time? I know what comes roughly when if starting at 8pm but there are other suggestions I note. I'm thinking of providing at least 1 sleep stop if useful. Using my caravan and awning. Dry sleeps under cover for quite a few at a time and grub. For me critical moments were the early hours on Exmoor, a kip somewhere on the Axminser to Wells stretch and again somewhere Codford- ish. Bovey shops were open by the time I got there. Everyone's different and ill go with the flow. The support offer is there whether i ride ir not. Need to keep the legend going.

« Reply #410 on: 29 October, 2016, 01:21:05 pm »
An 8 p.m. start time at Longfleet means less traffic on the A35 to Bere Regis and also gives you a chance to get to Axminster at a reasonable time the next night. Just saying ...

Dunno whether I can ride or help at the mo, but I'm working on it ...

« Reply #411 on: 12 February, 2017, 03:55:34 pm »
OK Folks
Straw poll consensus for the ride timmings appear to be Thursday 01-Jun-2017 13:00 kick off with a finish in Hell at around the same time 3-days later.

Jonah has The CrAcKpOt registered as a DIY with Paul Stewart so just ask for the DIY number when purchasing your DIY Brevets.

Then stop and pause for a while as you contemplate the challenge of dragging your sorry bike and arse around one of the meanest and most beautiful rides this side of Nagasaki.

Smeth

« Reply #412 on: 12 February, 2017, 05:14:02 pm »
The support offer is there whether i ride it not. Need to keep the legend going.

Chatted to an ACH on the Poor Student - he said you had a bakers dozen up for it at that time :thumbsup: The offer quoted from above is still there. A brew and feed here and there and maybe a bivvy station or two. I'm not going to ride having done it last year. Saving dodgy knees for Mille P, LEL and various other daft things but free on your dates. You may well prefer the full "b***bustin" falling asleep while tying your shoelaces, hedge-monster experience, of which I heartily approve. No offence either way and if you don't mind I may stalk your progress and do a few miles with you. (No drafting for you naturally ;D)

« Reply #413 on: 14 February, 2017, 02:14:28 pm »
Thursday 01-Jun-2017 13:00 kick off

Riding over Exmoor overnight - hard core ! Minehead to Bovey in the dark will be something else.

« Reply #414 on: 14 February, 2017, 02:55:52 pm »

Riding over Exmoor overnight - hard core ! Minehead to Bovey in the dark will be something else.

It's best just as the sky lightens. Though with a full moon, a night traverse might be wonderful.

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #415 on: 15 February, 2017, 04:11:08 pm »

Chatted to an ACH on the Poor Student - he said you had a bakers dozen up for it at that time :thumbsup: The offer quoted from above is still there. A brew and feed here and there and maybe a bivvy station or two. I'm not going to ride having done it last year. Saving dodgy knees for Mille P, LEL and various other daft things but free on your dates. You may well prefer the full "b***bustin" falling asleep while tying your shoelaces, hedge-monster experience, of which I heartily approve. No offence either way and if you don't mind I may stalk your progress and do a few miles with you. (No drafting for you naturally ;D)
[/quote]

This is an awesome offer, thank you! ...I've got the dates in my diary too, and am planning to give it a go. Controlling at home, and then setting off to ride to Newbury and back to Poole is going to be a test of character!

« Reply #416 on: 15 February, 2017, 08:12:32 pm »
OK Folks
Straw poll consensus for the ride timmings appear to be Thursday 01-Jun-2017 13:00 kick off with a finish in Hell at around the same time 3-days later.

Hmmmm.... Tempting... Brimstone as a warm-up the Sunday before?!!!

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #417 on: 15 February, 2017, 09:57:58 pm »

It's best just as the sky lightens. Though with a full moon, a night traverse might be wonderful.

I did this very traverse last year - the moon was so bright I switched my dynamo off - for an hour!  Highlight of the ride!  However, the year before was a completely different story because of the driving wind and rain - it was never cold though.

« Reply #418 on: 15 February, 2017, 10:02:57 pm »
Thanks for the offer of support Smeth!  Jonah has advised that his mother and father have also offered to opertae a control from their caravn - they're looking at Kine Bush Farm - Home Of Copse House Cider at c. 750K for Dorset bred hot sausage rolls and Copse House Cider whic is pressed in said farm. 

Smeth

« Reply #419 on: 15 February, 2017, 10:57:15 pm »
Thanks for the offer of support Smeth!  Jonah has advised that his mother and father have also offered to opertae a control from their caravan - they're looking at Kine Bush Farm - Home Of Copse House Cider at c. 750K for Dorset bred hot sausage rolls and Copse House Cider whic is pressed in said farm.

That'll be before the last big push I guess. It's probably early planning stage and for all I know you might have suites at the Plaza booked but let me know at some point of a stretch where an earlier stop might be handy. I'd suggest making it a night stop if no Plaza. Don't worry about exactly where unless you already have info. Just give me a stretch of the route and I'll recce and come up with a suggestion or two.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #420 on: 15 February, 2017, 11:39:09 pm »
My mate has had his heart bypass and is making good progress so my attendance on this weekend is going to be put on hold until another time.

All the best mes amis.

H

« Reply #421 on: 16 February, 2017, 09:26:15 am »
This is shaping up to be quite an event ...

« Reply #422 on: 16 February, 2017, 10:14:44 am »
Riding over Exmoor overnight - hard core !

That would make a real ball-buster of a first day and a half. Bovey tracey would definitely be out of hours (c.3am?) I guess we would be looking to get somewhere between Wells and Thornbury (as the route passes between bristol and bath), c.550km, before stopping on the Friday night ... ouch ...

Copse house (at 664km, by my reckoning?) would be 11/12 ish on the Saturday morning

Second night stop would be around Membury (870km)

I'm tired just thinking about it!

« Reply #423 on: 16 February, 2017, 10:18:23 am »

Smeth

« Reply #424 on: 16 February, 2017, 11:20:52 am »
Riding over Exmoor overnight - hard core !

That would make a real ball-buster of a first day and a half. Bovey tracey would definitely be out of hours (c.3am?) I guess we would be looking to get somewhere between Wells and Thornbury (as the route passes between bristol and bath), c.550km, before stopping on the Friday night ... ouch ...

Copse house (at 664km, by my reckoning?) would be 11/12 ish on the Saturday morning

Second night stop would be around Membury (870km)

I'm tired just thinking about it!

Let me know whenever but it looks like a Devon night feed/hot drink might be useful plus a sleep beyond Wells.