Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1627044 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #3500 on: 21 June, 2013, 12:07:46 pm »
You know if your car has a rattle in the boot, and you take it to the garage, and they fix that rattle but you find (for example) your engine's now overheating and you wonder if the garage are a bunch of fucking cowboys and have deliberately done something to make you go back so they can have more of your money?

Does that work with Osteopaths? Back- bit better. Knee- fucking agony. Out of nowhere. What the veritable fuck.

Fucking agony out of nowhere is what knees do best.

Actually, since having my bladder proddled last week, I've been remarkably pain-free.  But my left patella is wobbling about like a very wobbly thing.  Not painful, but extremely disconcerting.  Maybe it's the same effect?

« Reply #3501 on: 21 June, 2013, 12:33:51 pm »
You know if your car has a rattle in the boot, and you take it to the garage, and they fix that rattle but you find (for example) your engine's now overheating and you wonder if the garage are a bunch of fucking cowboys and have deliberately done something to make you go back so they can have more of your money?

Does that work with Osteopaths? Back- bit better. Knee- fucking agony. Out of nowhere. What the veritable fuck.

Fucking agony out of nowhere is what knees do best.

Actually, since having my bladder proddled last week, I've been remarkably pain-free.  But my left patella is wobbling about like a very wobbly thing.  Not painful, but extremely disconcerting.  Maybe it's the same effect?

On my last trip to France on the trike, we had to do a section of very badly surfaced road, and were shaken constantly for about 4 miles.  I had to check at the end that my kneecaps hadn't shaken round to the back of my legs...

Back when I handled animal bones a lot, I always found myself slightly amused by cow patellas. No idea why, they aren't an especially funny shape. I think it was just the idea that cows have kneecaps.  Just always made me smile.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3502 on: 21 June, 2013, 12:53:25 pm »
I think I might have lost my iPod :(
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3503 on: 21 June, 2013, 10:16:37 pm »
I haven't been to an optician for about eight years.  (my bad). 
My glasses are almost falling to pieces and it's very obvious to me that I also need a new script as I can't see a bleedin' thing these days.
So, I booked an appointment, booked some flexi time off this afternoon and went for it.
Having a severe nickel allergy, I have to go for titanium frames.

Yup.  New script definitely needed.

The grumble?
How fucking much? :o
*puts debit card back in wallet - proffers credit card*  :(

Other news. 
As an official "Old Bastard", I also get free hearing tests, so I organised that as well. 
Hmm.  I knew that I wasn't hearing too well these days but I hadn't realised how bad it was on one side.
If you're sitting to my left - I'll almost be able to hold a conversation in a crowded pub.  If you're sitting on my right, the best you can hope for is "heh, heh, heh" <grin> as I pretend I've got any idea of what you're saying.

WHAT?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #3504 on: 21 June, 2013, 10:19:55 pm »
My dad is completely deaf in his right ear, Basil - he finds it very useful, as if anyone's annoying him down the club, he can tell them to come and sit at his right, and be cheerfully ignorant of their shite for the rest of the night.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #3505 on: 21 June, 2013, 10:26:22 pm »
Heh.  Right ears, eh?
Bleedin' useless they are, innit?

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3506 on: 21 June, 2013, 10:29:30 pm »
My mother has been deaf in one ear since birth - strangely enough hers is the right ear as well
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #3507 on: 22 June, 2013, 08:53:03 am »
Hmm, sounds like there is a design flaw - my right is my bad one too. I wonder if we can get a manufacturer's recall?

« Reply #3508 on: 22 June, 2013, 09:47:56 am »
Basil old thing give these a ring. Allegedly up to 75% off only need your prescription.

http://www.all-eyes.co.uk/
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3509 on: 22 June, 2013, 10:35:22 am »
My youngest brother became totally and permanently deaf in his right ear overnight at the age of 24. Right ear wrong ear!

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #3510 on: 22 June, 2013, 10:41:56 am »
Hang on.  This is getting weird. 
Although perhaps not.  The above sample of right ear deafies is self selecting.
Or is it?  Is there something about tight ear hearing loss that makes it more common?

« Reply #3511 on: 22 June, 2013, 11:08:00 am »
Basil old thing give these a ring. Allegedly up to 75% off only need your prescription.

http://www.all-eyes.co.uk/

....or if you just want a spare pair, £6 + £5 postage is VERY hard to beat http://www.selectspecs.com/

Quality is good, service is slowish for these cheapies, but even so.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #3512 on: 23 June, 2013, 06:41:53 pm »
This should be a rant but I don't think I can be arsed now.

I have fucked up.

We are selling our house and buying another. Sometime in March we had a house to buy and a buyer for ours. There was a short chain. We had it suggested to us that a moving date of 28th June would be fine. I thought great - plenty of time.

At this moment the chain stretches to infinity in either direction.

When we started I fondly assumed that I'd wait until we had exchanged contracts before firmly booking a removal firm. A few weeks ago I realised that the exchange wasn't going to happen any time soon and started getting quotes for removal. At this point I discover that the last Friday in June is the most popular date in the whole year for moving. By the time I get the quotes the companies are fully booked.

So here we are, sitting in a sea of cardboard boxes. Supposed to move next Friday. Contracts have not been exchanged (but might be this coming week). It ain't going to happen on Friday. No way.

Tomorrow morning I shall toddle across the road to the solicitor and tell them I can't do it then - I need at least another week. And piss off, no doubt, the rest of the chain.

With the wonderful system we have any fucker in the chain can still pull out and send the whole thing crashing down.

There really ought to be a better way of doing this.

There's no vibrations, but wait.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3513 on: 23 June, 2013, 06:45:23 pm »
There is, but it means moving to Scotland.  ;D
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #3514 on: 23 June, 2013, 06:48:18 pm »
I draw the line at that.

Er...

Sorry.

I need this:

;)

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #3515 on: 23 June, 2013, 06:51:38 pm »
At this point I discover that the last Friday in June is the most popular date in the whole year for moving. By the time I get the quotes the companies are fully booked.

*waits for some very interesting pics from nicknack on the "I carried this on my Bicycle" thread.*
 :D

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #3516 on: 23 June, 2013, 06:53:08 pm »
I might struggle with the piano.

I used to wonder what people meant when they said they were having a nervous breakdown.

I've now got the idea.

I have been heavily self-medicating - currently a very nice white from Pays D'Oc.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #3517 on: 23 June, 2013, 06:56:09 pm »
Wimp.

;)

nicknack

• Hornblower

LindaG

« Reply #3519 on: 23 June, 2013, 11:23:32 pm »

I used to wonder what people meant when they said they were having a nervous breakdown.

I've now got the idea.

I have been heavily self-medicating - currently a very nice white from Pays D'Oc.

Nom!

Sympathies from here - house full of packing cases and a house move that will coincide with a change of job and a change to single status!

Giz a glass of that will you?

At least you aren't a murderer of wild creatures like I am. You know when you go for a run at dusk, and try really hard not to step on any snails, but then you get that little 'crunch'?

:-(

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #3520 on: 23 June, 2013, 11:35:24 pm »
Its been done before :

http://www.pianoacrossamerica.com/

Good luck with the move ours is about to start ...
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #3521 on: 26 June, 2013, 09:24:16 am »
To wear proper shoes in the office you have to wear proper socks.
To wear proper socks you have to remember to put a pair in your bag :facepalm:
White trainer socks don't go with black oxfords.

Raggedy old trainers today then :-[
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #3522 on: 26 June, 2013, 09:30:51 am »
I keep a spare pair of sock (along with other items) in the office at all times.  Has saved me from my own stupidity more than once.

My grumble:  When I pour milk into my coffee I do not expect it to come out lumpy.  Good thing I can drink my coffee black (just prefer it with a bit of milk).
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #3523 on: 26 June, 2013, 09:32:07 am »
I keep a spare pair of sock (along with other items) in the office at all times.  Has saved me from my own stupidity more than once.

Me too.  :)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3524 on: 26 June, 2013, 09:33:34 am »

My grumble:  When I pour milk into my coffee I do not expect it to come out lumpy.  Good thing I can drink my coffee black (just prefer it with a bit of milk).

You obviosuly didn't grow up in our house! I learnt, at a very early age, to check milk for lumps and bread for mould before consuming.

Food rotation was not my parent's strong point.  I still remember the time my mum put the oven on for Sunday dinner to find that she had left the carcass of the chicken for the previous week in there.  When she took it out she found it crawling with maggots.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State