Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1627337 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #5175 on: 30 August, 2014, 06:56:43 am »
My local bike shop is taking ages to do a few bits to my bike. I was supposed to get it back earlier this week as I had a ride planned for today. No phone from them and when I called the dopey lad, (who I try to avoid asking taxing questions like "when is my bike going to be ready"), he could not find the paperwork, the bike and then didn't ring me back.  Usually they are really good. 

Also I had to hang around in town Wednesday evening and went for a coffee in McDonalds. All the sugars and milks etc were now behind the counter to stop people nicking them. Ffs surely they make enough profit that they can bear a little sugar loss. 

Life is good even in a cockle shell.

« Reply #5176 on: 30 August, 2014, 08:32:05 pm »

Also I had to hang around in town Wednesday evening and went for a coffee in McDonalds. All the sugars and milks etc were now behind the counter to stop people nicking them. Ffs surely they make enough profit that they can bear a little sugar loss.

As a cyclist you should be aware of the risks of low sugar!

« Reply #5177 on: 30 August, 2014, 08:36:12 pm »
Why does everyone think that they are a comedian - ahem!?

The butchers usually have sensible names for their sausages like pork, beef, cumberland etc.  Today they have decided to call one welsh dragon pork, so I ask what's in them.  A smartarse female customer, not actually part of the conversation, pipes up with welsh dragons.  What they lack in intelligence around here they make up for in wit, just not today.

« Reply #5178 on: 30 August, 2014, 08:50:27 pm »
What did you expect?  Then, I'm a vegetarian.....

ian

« Reply #5179 on: 31 August, 2014, 12:10:11 pm »
I spent yesterday clambering over the broken stiles of East Sussex yesterday. Which is fine, I can clamber, and pretty much expected. Then we got to the last bit of our walk just outside Uckfield. A big 'footpath closed' sign. Apparently the staircase by the train track crossing was in a bad way. But it was getting dark and past beer o'clock so what the hell, we've clambered this far, let's ignore the notice.

Glad we did. The footpath was closed because of one slightly broken step. A man with a replacement bit of wood and a few tools could have fixed it in 30 minutes. Instead, it's taken both East Sussex CC and National Rail all the effort (and cost) of getting a closure in place (one with no defined end point). Bejeebus, I've just clambered over 30 km of broken stiles, I'm not likely to come a cropper on one slightly sloping step.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5180 on: 31 August, 2014, 02:46:12 pm »
I'm in the supermarket and, of course, my list is on the kitchen table.
Bugger.
Let's see how I do.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #5181 on: 31 August, 2014, 03:10:22 pm »
I predict you'll come back with a bottle of wine, a piece of stilton, a large several of items that were on special offer, and you'll have NO milk for your coffee tomorrow morning. Or coffee.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5182 on: 31 August, 2014, 05:08:59 pm »
I predict you'll come back with a bottle of wine, a piece of stilton, a large several of items that were on special offer, and you'll have NO milk for your coffee tomorrow morning. Or coffee.

;D
Actually, I did quite well.  The only thing I forgot was the turmeric, and we're not actually completely out of that.  No wine or special offers.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #5183 on: 31 August, 2014, 07:09:22 pm »
Local farmer (presumably) or someone not too far away has sprayed their fields/gardens with shhh manure and it stinks to high heaven. This is not a normal earthy/country smell but rank and unpleasant. Hopefully rain tomorrow am will tone it down a bit. 
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Ruth

« Reply #5184 on: 31 August, 2014, 07:16:37 pm »
We've been getting the same thing, intermittently, for a couple of weeks now.  It's muck spreading season.

It's worrying how much like human faeces it smells.  I hope it's just sileage they're planning to grow in that.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #5185 on: 01 September, 2014, 11:09:41 am »
It's worrying how much like human faeces it smells.

That's probably because it is.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #5186 on: 01 September, 2014, 11:53:50 am »
It's worrying how much like human faeces it smells.

That's probably because it is.
Sewage sludge or something.  There was a pile in a field down thus way. The tomato plants sprouting out of it gave a clue as to its origins.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5187 on: 01 September, 2014, 11:55:59 am »
IIRC Thames Water had a fertilizer arm (called Terra Eco I think) when I worked there. I think that looked after composting waste as well but it also used digested sewage to make some of the product.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #5188 on: 01 September, 2014, 12:01:53 pm »
Yes, quite a few farms here use sewage sludge (where else do you think it goes?).  There are regulations on how long you have to leave it before planting food for human consumption, or putting animals out to graze on it.

Other strong smelling fertilisers include chicken shit, which is arguably a worse smell than human shit (high ammonia).  It makes you positively enjoy the smell of cow shit.

essexian

« Reply #5189 on: 01 September, 2014, 12:37:48 pm »
"They" are using dried human waste byproducts to build the new part of Stafford Castle Golf Course, so it is said:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/STOP-the-smell-coming-from-Stafford-Castle-Golf-Club-construction-Site/356785437807747?fref=nf

When the wind is in the wrong direction, it smells to really badly.... when the winds in the other wrong directions, we get the pong off the fields 200m away.  :facepalm:

« Reply #5190 on: 01 September, 2014, 04:41:22 pm »
What I thought was regular milk with a blue top is actually Buttermilk. A whole litre of the stuff:-(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #5191 on: 01 September, 2014, 05:08:44 pm »
What I thought was regular milk with a blue top is actually Buttermilk. A whole litre of the stuff:-(

Make some biscuits. :)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5192 on: 01 September, 2014, 06:15:01 pm »
Or scones :P
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #5193 on: 01 September, 2014, 06:18:43 pm »
Pancakes!

« Reply #5194 on: 01 September, 2014, 06:47:36 pm »
Soda bread.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5195 on: 01 September, 2014, 07:06:37 pm »
Whizz it in a blender with raspberries, blueberries or whatever soft fruit you fancy. It makes a delicious and filling milkshake.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #5196 on: 01 September, 2014, 08:40:47 pm »
I'm camping! It may do on porridge but I don't fancy drinking it.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #5197 on: 01 September, 2014, 08:41:55 pm »

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #5198 on: 02 September, 2014, 09:21:29 pm »
It's September, Summer is over.  Tourists - go home!  The people of London would like their city back.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5199 on: 03 September, 2014, 04:09:10 am »
In the time it took me to upload today's photos to flickr I could have got a carrier pigeon to take them to Sunnyvale.  Frontier Motel of Lone Pine, CA, your Pipe is clogged up with Fluff.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime