Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1627036 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #16525 on: 25 August, 2023, 09:16:01 pm »
Generally but not absolutely, charging and discharging at faster rates is synonymous with reduced battery life.  Of course, it's simplicity itself to change the battery isn't it ...

It would be nice if you could configure the charging rate by a menu option on the phone (like the one for selecting whether it's going to be a USB-Storage device).  I know you can knobble the QC/PD stuff with a USB condom[1], but that's a level of complication that's rarely justified.

[1] Anna Daptor that isolates the USB data lines, while passing the power supply through.  PCs and suspicious public charging sockets, for the use with.

« Reply #16526 on: 25 August, 2023, 09:19:45 pm »
I thought most buses were tap-in now. That seems simpler than either using an app, buying from a shop, or paying cash (which requires change and slows the bus down).
My local buses do tap in, but you have to tap out too. The app is scan in, and has the convenience of no tapping out and also knowing when the bus is coming. They also have another special card, with no apparent advantage to me, and cash but no change.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #16527 on: 25 August, 2023, 09:41:55 pm »
I thought most buses were tap-in now. That seems simpler than either using an app, buying from a shop, or paying cash (which requires change and slows the bus down).
My local buses do tap in, but you have to tap out too. The app is scan in, and has the convenience of no tapping out and also knowing when the bus is coming. They also have another special card, with no apparent advantage to me, and cash but no change.
Interesting. You can tap out too here, but you don't have to, and only in certain circumstances is there any advantage. There's also an app and I think for a time tickets were cheaper on the app, but not anymore. I don't use buses enough to download it, though the live timetable feature sounds useful. I've supposed that if you pay cash, you get change, but perhaps you don't. I'll have to ask someone who uses the buses more.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #16528 on: 25 August, 2023, 09:57:57 pm »
Generally but not absolutely, charging and discharging at faster rates is synonymous with reduced battery life.  Of course, it's simplicity itself to change the battery isn't it ...

It would be nice if you could configure the charging rate by a menu option on the phone (like the one for selecting whether it's going to be a USB-Storage device).  I know you can knobble the QC/PD stuff with a USB condom[1], but that's a level of complication that's rarely justified.

[1] Anna Daptor that isolates the USB data lines, while passing the power supply through.  PCs and suspicious public charging sockets, for the use with.
Most newer phones have some sort of "optimized charging". So that will charge at a slower rate overnight, and only charge to 100% shortly before you are predicted to wake up. Not sure if you can manually switch it on during the daytime.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #16529 on: 27 August, 2023, 09:23:34 am »
I am ill.  I hope it’s just a clod and not Teh Plague >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #16530 on: 27 August, 2023, 09:26:38 am »
Fingers crossed and thumbs pressed.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #16531 on: 27 August, 2023, 02:32:28 pm »
My very good friend: it's been 2 months since you were here and we discovered that the ebike battery wouldn't fit your frame. You went away knowing that a couple of rivnuts would do the trick. Only now, a week before we try again to convert your bike, do you decide to fit the rivnuts.

And then when you struggle to drill the holes, you tell me that you've tried a centre punch to no avail. Only you hadn't, had you? All you'd done was stick tape on the frame thinking that would help you drill into painted steel. So go and buy a punch - preferably one of the sprung ones, and give that a go.

And you spelled 'pedal' 'peddle'. That's the worst faux pas of all 🙂
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #16532 on: 27 August, 2023, 11:54:57 pm »
Fucking health.

Since August 11th: respiratory tract infection, COVID-19, oral thrush & now shingles!

I feel tired & weak. But at least I spotted the shingles early. Got drugs prescribed by Urgent Care thingy in town centre today, collected from Boots coz it was open today.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16533 on: 28 August, 2023, 07:43:29 am »
GWS.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #16534 on: 28 August, 2023, 10:33:21 am »
It would seem that a mosquito got inside our mosquito net last night, and was a somewhat greedy thing because we’re both sporting nasty red itchy spots this morning. Did I mention that they itch!
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #16535 on: 28 August, 2023, 10:38:39 am »
It would seem that a mosquito got inside our mosquito net last night, and was a somewhat greedy thing because we’re both sporting nasty red itchy spots this morning. Did I mention that they itch!
You have mozzy nets in Naarch? :o

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16536 on: 28 August, 2023, 10:48:44 am »
One of the bloody things had a suck at my left eyelid the other night.  The eye was half-closed and secreting some kind of watery gleh at one point, now receding after exhibition of a Noye's-Fluddesworth of eye-drops.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #16537 on: 28 August, 2023, 11:18:52 am »
You have mozzy nets in Naarch? :o
We’re a little further south than Naarch, on the hills over looking the valley of the River Deben and those few miles make all the difference, let me tell you.

The nets were a cheap and worthwhile investment, with bites being an infrequent occurrence rather than the pre-investment almost nightly event.

nb. Hills and valley are used as relative terms and are with respect to the landscape topography hereabouts. I’ve had mosquito bite reactions that were greater than some of the pimples the locals refer to as hills.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #16538 on: 28 August, 2023, 05:23:34 pm »
Toolstation.
Why is that when I search your website for 'window lock' and select an item from the choices available, what you actually sell me is a window handle and not a lock.
Which I do not discover until I have traipsed down to your shop, bought the item, traipsed back home with it and opened the package.
What your website does not tell me is that you do not actually sell window locks.
Gah! and what is more, ftmch!

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #16539 on: 30 August, 2023, 04:14:47 pm »
 Now then, Community Speedwatch people. The very least you can do when an enthusiastic cyclist approaches is to point your gadget and shout out the speed. OK?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #16540 on: 30 August, 2023, 05:37:31 pm »
Happened to me several times on my Birmingham commute. They would often shout out my speed, but the gits usually chose an uphill section where my speed was somewhat unimpressive.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #16541 on: 30 August, 2023, 05:54:07 pm »
Quote from: Basil
They would often shout out my speed, but the gits usually chose an uphill section where my speed was somewhat unimpressive.
The good burghers of Quenington I am looking at you. The sarky comments along the lines of, "C'mon you're only doing {redacted to spare my blushes} MPH" weren't appreciated either.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16542 on: 31 August, 2023, 12:50:59 am »
Happened to me several times on my Birmingham commute. They would often shout out my speed, but the gits usually chose an uphill section where my speed was somewhat unimpressive.

This.  I did suggest to the ossifer that it would be more impressive in the other direction.

« Reply #16543 on: 01 September, 2023, 07:40:46 pm »
I knew that would happen.  I couldn't find my long, fine tip screwdriver so I toddled off to B&Q and bought a replacement.  Guess what I've just found in the bottom of the toolbox that I checked twice yesterday.....    :facepalm:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #16544 on: 01 September, 2023, 08:04:36 pm »
Have another look in your toolbox and see if there's a pair of struts for 30" span Slingsby Prefect would you?  I put them somewhere "safe" late last year and now I can't find them.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #16545 on: 01 September, 2023, 08:16:29 pm »
I knew that would happen.  I couldn't find my long, fine tip screwdriver so I toddled off to B&Q and bought a replacement.  Guess what I've just found in the bottom of the toolbox that I checked twice yesterday.....    :facepalm:
your No4 or No5?

« Reply #16546 on: 01 September, 2023, 08:46:14 pm »
your No4 or No5?

I was clerical, a Commo.  Then somehow I jumped tracks & got made a TO on the say so of a chap called Roy Corrin (Thanks Roy).  After that I passed my CCNA exam & they made me a D1.  I was never issued a tool set !
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #16547 on: 02 September, 2023, 01:49:14 am »
It is a Bank Holibob weekend in Leftpondia, which means hotel rooms are two or three times the price they are normally.

Bah!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #16548 on: 02 September, 2023, 08:12:13 am »
We came back from camping yesterday with most things damp and our bell tent needs to dry before being packed away

Also have a week's worth of washing and bed stuff we changed for our house sitter

Now first grumble is the weather's awful for drying today. Dead calm and overcast.

Second grumble next week when I'm back at work and kids are back at school weather's looking brilliant for camping

« Reply #16549 on: 02 September, 2023, 12:30:06 pm »
Went into the West End this morning as a shirt vendor had invited me to come in and 'try some for size' only to find that when I got there 'Oh, we don't have any of those in stock'  ::-)
To make a bad day better, instead of getting the Tube/Overground home I got off the Tube at Battersea Power Station, boarded a Thames Clipper and headed for home via Greenwich Pier.
Best part about the trip being that once the boat is east of the HQ of the River Police at Wapping, they're allowed to apply full throttle which turns the boat ride into something of a funfair ride  :thumbsup: