Author Topic: Chris Bennett 300 26th April Newton Abbot  (Read 1641 times)

Chris Bennett 300 26th April Newton Abbot
« on: 19 March, 2014, 11:00:27 am »
The second official running of this event.
Last year was fantastic weather.

About
.This challenging 300K Audax cycling event was devised by Chris Bennett shortly before his death in April 2012, and takes place annually in his memory.
Description
The 'Chris Bennett 300' is an annual 300K Audax held annually in memory of the man himself. He devised the route shortly before his death in April 2012, and thanks to the tireless effort of his cycling buddies this event has become a reality.

This year, the event will take place on Saturday 26th April 2014, starting and finishing in Newton Abbot, Devon. The route spans the very best of Devon and ...Cornwall, and can be found through this link: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/150280379

If you would like to take part in the 2014 event, sign up here at the Audax website: http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/13-277/

Some background about Chris Bennett, from his eldest daughter Grace:
Bikes were one of our father’s greatest passions. Whether he was taking them to pieces on a Saturday afternoon, debating the merits of one type of hub sprocket over another, (here, we show our ignorance of bicycle mechanics), or even building them from scratch for his cycle commuter daughter, bikes never ceased to fascinate him. More importantly, however, it was about the challenge of a steep climb on the Dartmoor Devil, the single mindedness of long distance cycling events (he would say to me, 'there is room for nothing else in your head other than the sheer determination to get to the top') and the camaraderie and friendship that he found through his local CTC section.

Being something of an 'honorary Devonian' having moved there with his young family many years ago, he loved nothing better than being out on his bike in the Devon lanes, watching the seasons change. He would often say how lucky he felt to have such beautiful countryside on his doorstep. It was this that led him to idea of creating a 300k Audax event around Devon and Cornwall (his 'true' home), to enable other cyclists from around the UK (and perhaps further afield?) to combine their passion for epic cycling events with experiencing 'the best of the South West' for themselves.

Chris was intending to do a trial run, had he not suddenly and unexpectedly passed away on a Sunday ride with his local CTC section on a sunny April 1st 2012. A brave group of local cyclists decided to undertake this challenge last April - http://www.bikeweb.org.uk/chris_bennett300.htm - and, thanks to the hard work and commitment of Chris's cycling buddies, they turned his vision of a 300k Audax in Devon and Cornwall into reality in April 2013. Last year's event was a great success, and we hope to repeat that in 2014.

A note from the organisers, Rod and Lisa Pash:
For those of you that have not taken part in an Audax before, the wikipedia definition below may help to make it all a little clearer: Audax is a cycling sport in which participants attempt to cycle long distances within a pre-defined time limit. Audax is a non-competitive sport: success in an event is measured by its completion.

Chris Bennett 300 – Additional Information (please note, this is a rough guide, applying only to the 2013 event - not yet updated for 2014)

THE HALL
• Start/Finish located at Scout Hall, Wolborough St, Newton Abbot TQ12 1LJ. The Hall is located centrally in a municipal car park (All day parking charged at £3.80, charging period 9am – 6pm)
• The Hall is available from 20.00 on Friday evening for those coming from afar. Please inform organisers if you’d like to sleep over and bring your own sleeping mat/bedding.
• A light breakfast of tea/coffee/cereal/toast will be available from 05.15 prior to 06.00 start. On return, light food/soup etc will be available.
• A safe place to store baggage will be provided.
• At the end of the ride participants will be able to feed and sleep until 06.00 on Sunday at which point the Hall must be vacated.

CONTROLS
• The first 3 Controls are cafes where your cards will be stamped:
1. Torrington 70k The Green Lantern
2. Widemouth Bay 120k Bay View Inn
3. Polzeath 172k Galleon Beach Café
• The final 3 Controls are 24hr service stations from which you’ll need to purchase a receipt as proof of passage:
4. Camelford 198k BP/Londis
5. Launceston 226k Texaco/Co-op
6. Okehampton 260k BP/Budgens

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/13-277/

https://www.facebook.com/ChrisBennett300#!/ChrisBennett300

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
Re: Chris Bennett 300 26th April Newton Abbot
« Reply #1 on: 19 March, 2014, 12:03:39 pm »
I recommend this ride to anyone who's tempted - I really enjoyed it last year, and it was lovely to meet some of Chris' family at Polzeath. Unfortunately I'm unable to ride it this year.
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

fossala

« Reply #2 on: 19 March, 2014, 03:17:15 pm »
I'm doing this one, my second audax and my first 300km. Let's hope for better weather than my first (200km).

« Reply #3 on: 20 March, 2014, 07:01:54 am »
Best of luck with the event. I can't make it this year, but am interested for next time around  :thumbsup:

« Reply #4 on: 27 March, 2014, 08:14:11 am »
Just to confirm that the hall is available the night before from 8.

fossala

« Reply #5 on: 02 April, 2014, 09:06:52 pm »
Is there a GPX file for this ride so I don't get too lost...

« Reply #6 on: 03 April, 2014, 11:09:00 pm »

« Reply #7 on: 27 April, 2014, 08:10:56 pm »
I rode this event yesterday and had an absolutely wonderful day out. Honestly the weather was trully awful with a very strong head/cross wind for all of the final 245k. I recorded 4950m of climbing making it comparable to Yr Elenydd but the conditions on the day meant an extra 2.5 hours out on the bike compared to that event of 2 weeks ago.

The scout halll was available to sleep the nights before and after the event. This encouraged me to cycle to Newton Abbott on the Friday. I nearly didnt make it there at all. First the horrors of Telegraph Hill (A380) on a bike with luggage in the Friday rush hour (note to not do that again, I feel lucky to still be alive). Discouraged by the main road, I diverted onto the minor roads to break a spoke nipple. I limp8ed to Dawlish station and took the train to Newton Abbott. Thanks to the organiser Rod for dashing home and furnishing me with the necessaries to allow me to repair the rear wheel. Bizarrely as I was pumping up that tyre the front tyre exploded spontaneously. I'd just ridden 260k on it so this was weird.

There were only 13 of us starting in the morning after a few dropped out. A stunning ride up to Torrington set the tone for the day of coat on/coat off. Then off into the wind and boy what a wind; it blew me to a stop on one short climb. Lots of beautiful wild flowers and close encounters with Buzzards (the Holsworthy variant seems extinct at least) helped offset the terrible weather.

Finally rolled into the finish at 11 which I think makes this my slowest ever 300. Not encouraging for the horror pleasure of what awaits next weekend. Nevertheless I'd recommend this event to anyone wanting a challenging ride. The event team will look after you well, accommodation and breakfast all in and an ever cheerful event team.

Many thanks to you all and thanks Rod for saving my ride this weekend. A real gent.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #8 on: 27 April, 2014, 09:02:24 pm »
I missed out on this and expect I have/will miss out on the Torplex 200. Any event in Devon is likely to be scenic and outside of the holiday season, will be a cracking day out.

Almost makes me wish I still lived down there  :'(

H

« Reply #9 on: 27 April, 2014, 10:20:19 pm »
I missed out on this and expect I have/will miss out on the Torplex 200. Any event in Devon is likely to be scenic and outside of the holiday season, will be a cracking day out.

Almost makes me wish I still lived down there  :'(

H

"Almost"? And you claim to be proper Devon?

« Reply #10 on: 28 April, 2014, 01:35:48 pm »
I think I was a lucky one, chasing rainbows for 30km kept me out the rain for a bit. On the other hand I was riding a rear tyre with a sidewall which was threatening to completely fail on me for the last 60km!

Thanks to Rod+Lisa P and Kathy and the Bennetts for making it possible again!