Author Topic: Camping & Caravanning Club  (Read 10618 times)

vantage

• As quick as a slug on crutches towing a snail whilst wading through a salt mine!
Re: Camping & Caravanning Club
« Reply #50 on: 01 September, 2020, 11:17:42 am »
Not even close. We only stayed at 3 c&cc sites.
We'd have to do an awful lot of camping to get enough in discounts to cover the £41.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx

« Reply #51 on: 01 September, 2020, 12:02:16 pm »
I've cancelled my membership. The £40 odd a year is a bit much when we as a family don't actually camp that much.
I paid the extra to join the ALC section and this annoyed me after reading about the clubs beginnings. Started by cyclists who camped. Paying extra as a cyclist who camps I feel is taking the piss. I only attended 2 meets since joining due to distance issues although I was made very welcome by other members there.
I've yet to be turned away from a campsite and never been asked to show my c&cc membership. My dad and I have just completed the Way of the Roses over 6 days and all sites including 2 certificated sites were pre booked.
The C&CC can shove their hefty membership fees.

At one time I was a member of the C&CC and ALC although I enjoyed the few ALC meets I attended it did not warrant the membership cost.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #52 on: 01 September, 2020, 06:41:42 pm »
But would not the member's discount at CCC sites pay for the£41 annual membership fee after your six nights using them?
If you are a cycle camper, it's more like 20 nights at C&CC sites to recoup the £41 in reduced charges. Given the limited holiday time for someone in full time work and the normal proportion of non-C&CC sites, my view is that paying membership is only worth while if you want access to the member-only certificated sites.

The 6 nights will be for motorised campers (it will vary depending on big tent/caravan. electric hookup etc).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #53 on: 01 September, 2020, 08:42:26 pm »
But would not the member's discount at CCC sites pay for the£41 annual membership fee after your six nights using them?
If you are a cycle camper, it's more like 20 nights at C&CC sites to recoup the £41 in reduced charges. Given the limited holiday time for someone in full time work and the normal proportion of non-C&CC sites, my view is that paying membership is only worth while if you want access to the member-only certificated sites.

It gets slightly better if you go to a decent number of section meets, which tend to be cheaper still, but yes, this is a point of much annoyance amongst the ALC types.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #54 on: 03 September, 2020, 01:24:42 pm »
I've cancelled my membership. The £40 odd a year is a bit much when we as a family don't actually camp that much.
I paid the extra to join the ALC section and this annoyed me after reading about the clubs beginnings. Started by cyclists who camped. Paying extra as a cyclist who camps I feel is taking the piss. I only attended 2 meets since joining due to distance issues although I was made very welcome by other members there.
I've yet to be turned away from a campsite and never been asked to show my c&cc membership. My dad and I have just completed the Way of the Roses over 6 days and all sites including 2 certificated sites were pre booked.

My biggest dilemma was the discount we get when going to certain shops. Buy some expensive boots or waterproof jacket at Go Outdoors and the C & CC discount can give you a big chunk of your membership back.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #55 on: 03 September, 2020, 01:32:46 pm »

My biggest dilemma was the discount we get when going to certain shops. Buy some expensive boots or waterproof jacket at Go Outdoors and the C & CC discount can give you a big chunk of your membership back.

I have various sources of such discounts; such as club membership of the MCofS (who are currently seriously pissing me off but anyway...), but my CCC membership is largelly based around motorhome insurance although the broker has never asked for proof of club membership since the policy was set up, hm...