Author Topic: Frequent Ibuprofen Gel Use  (Read 1349 times)

Frequent Ibuprofen Gel Use
« on: 26 January, 2021, 10:26:38 am »
For a couple of years I've suffered with bastard ear ache in the late evenings. The ENT man couldn't find a specific cause but put me on Amitriptyline, 10mg at bedtime. Initially this was like magic and I was pain free for the first time in ages. Then the effect started to wear off, so - as suggested by the GP - I doubled the dose, which had no effect other than making me feel like poo.
I've stopped taking it, and have no hope of getting back to see ENT again any time soon (my review was meant to be in December, and I've had two letters say "delayed - don't know when")

I've found - almost by chance - that plastering my jaw joint and around my ear with Ibuprofen gel an hour before bedtime, again at bedtime, and every time I get up in the night for a wee, has made the earache subside to next to nothing.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't carry on with this (possibly excessive) use of the Ibuprofen?
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Geriatricdolan

Re: Frequent Ibuprofen Gel Use
« Reply #1 on: 26 January, 2021, 10:38:05 am »
Most side effects of non-steroid painkillers are for the digestive system, so you avoid all of that with topical application.
I also assume the amount you use is pretty small, so you won't have much of the stuff in your blood stream... if it's a temporary solution, while you wait for tests, I would continue... but just in case, I would also give a call to my GP

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 26 January, 2021, 10:53:10 am »

Anyway, Mike, here is the topical 'Caution' bit from BNF

With topical use

avoid contact with eyes (in adults); avoid contact with inflamed or broken skin (in adults); avoid contact with mucous membranes (in adults); not for use with occlusive dressings (in adults); topical application of large amounts can result in systemic effects, including hypersensitivity and asthma (renal disease has also been reported) (in adults)
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 26 January, 2021, 12:37:11 pm »
Have you ruled out temporomandibular joint disorder?  Earache could be a symptom, and I could imagine that applying ibuprofen gel might help ease the tension.

I suffered with it badly (locking and clicking) in my teens.  Saw an incredibly dismissive maxillofacial bod, which didn't really help.  It eased off almost immediately when I stopped living with my parents, so presumably stress-related.  It's had a mild recurrence over the last year, but mostly it's only a problem when I have to hold my mouth open for prolonged periods for the dentist, which can be more painful than the drilling.

« Reply #4 on: 26 January, 2021, 01:57:32 pm »
Have you ruled out temporomandibular joint disorder?  Earache could be a symptom, and I could imagine that applying ibuprofen gel might help ease the tension.

I suffered with it badly (locking and clicking) in my teens.  Saw an incredibly dismissive maxillofacial bod, which didn't really help.  It eased off almost immediately when I stopped living with my parents, so presumably stress-related.  It's had a mild recurrence over the last year, but mostly it's only a problem when I have to hold my mouth open for prolonged periods for the dentist, which can be more painful than the drilling.
Hi Kim - While waiting for the ENT appointment I resorted to Dr Google and was convinced it was TMJ pain, the ENT bloke wasn't at all dismissive and examined me thoroughly for it - although I'm starting to wonder if I (and you) are correct. I have a 'clicking TMJ when moving my jaw side-to-side which he said was not abnormal (and demonstrated his doing the same).
I've often wondered if stress was the issue, and now you're confirming it even more.
Thanks
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #5 on: 26 January, 2021, 03:19:04 pm »
Is there any reason why I shouldn't carry on with this (possibly excessive) use of the Ibuprofen?

I developed digestive issues after taking ibuprofen orally for several months because of chronic pain. I asked about using gel instead, but was told by whichever health professional I was seeing at the time that it would still end up in my stomach.

I don't know how concentrations compare between oral and topical use, but I guess with gel you're not also doing the 'take with a meal' thing. *shrug* Maybe just keep an eye out for possible side effects.

« Reply #6 on: 26 January, 2021, 03:39:52 pm »
Two observations:
Maybe check with a dentist. Earache can be traced to dental problems, and the fact that applying along your jaw makes a difference makes me wonder.

Instead of ibuprofen, try a low dose of aspirin instead. Take it with fresh orange juice (Vit C counteracts some  of the deleterious affects of aspirin on the stomach).
<i>Marmite slave</i>