Author Topic: Which pedals  (Read 10209 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Which pedals
« Reply #25 on: 05 April, 2021, 11:11:11 am »
Sidi Dominators are pretty stiff, but the price is ridiculous given that they offshored manufacture to some Eastern European sweatshop (Romania, for my latest pair).
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #26 on: 05 April, 2021, 11:11:55 am »
They are also made for people with elf feet

rogerzilla

« Reply #27 on: 05 April, 2021, 11:20:15 am »
Mine are "5 Fit", which means they're full of marketing bollix.  I have pretty wide feet.

Tbh, I bought them not for fit or function but because my first Dominators lasted over 15 years and I only retired them because the soles had worn so the cleats were wearing on the ground (granite setts around the office).  For cycling, they were still fine, but two pairs of cleats a year aren't cheap.  The new ones have already needed a replacement buckle - a potentially ride-ending fault - so these will probably not do 15 years.

« Reply #28 on: 05 April, 2021, 11:26:06 am »
Not to deny your experience, but my experience of Sidi was really really bad. A pair of top level road shoes about 13 years ago and the started falling apart within a few rides. They had barrel adjusters in the soles for stiffness (didn't seem to do anything) and these both fell out. The heels dropped off. The buckles snapped. This all happened within a couple of months. 

« Reply #29 on: 05 April, 2021, 01:55:47 pm »
I had a pair of SIDI Dominators which lasted almost 20 years too. They got pretty battered as they were my only cycling shoes in that time. Eventually the ratchet thing broke away from its moorings and they couldn't be rescued. I didn't replace them like-for-like because they were mega money.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #30 on: 05 April, 2021, 02:16:56 pm »
I've got a pair of Sidis (not the Dominators) that are about two and a half years old, including most of a year's constant touring, and they're looking pretty good.  It looks like Flatus got unlucky.

« Reply #31 on: 20 April, 2021, 09:57:41 am »
Ebay is where I got my latest pair - Sidi Jarin. Lovely shoe but @£300 too spendy but a pair turned up on ebay and I got them. Sole is stiff though. Gaerne are nice and I've got some spiuk which were in a sale and are excellent. Planet X do (or did) a mtb shoe which looks ok and not mad money https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/SHPXSDCMTBS/planet-x-single-dial-composite-mtb-shoe

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #32 on: 20 April, 2021, 10:10:00 am »
I had a pair of Gaerne shoes æons ago.  Mostly blue but with some natty pinky-purplish stripes.  When it rained the dye leached out of the stripes and turned my socks and feet a funny colour :'(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #33 on: 21 April, 2021, 11:32:49 am »
The biggest problem I have is finding cycling shoes, any cycling shoes, wide enough for my feet. Any suggestions gratefully accepted.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #34 on: 21 April, 2021, 03:46:18 pm »
Lake do wide options, and even their standard options are wider than most.  They're spendy, but very nice.

« Reply #35 on: 21 April, 2021, 05:28:54 pm »
Bont seem sensibly wide in the forefoot.

Riot are ‘normal’ price and Vaypor S are £300. Riots are certainly available for SPDs (Riot MTB).

Vaypor in wider sizes too.

They have a decent sizing page too

https://bontcycling.com/items/support/size-chart.html

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #36 on: 21 April, 2021, 05:32:55 pm »
Lake do wide options, and even their standard options are wider than most.  They're spendy, but very nice.
Yep, Lake wide shoes have been a revelation for me. I'd been getting increasing levels of hotfoot on long audax rides to the point where I began to question my ongoing involvement in this type of cycling. I had tried Shimano and Sidi wide shoes but with no impact. Interestingly, they both felt fine to put on and never really felt cramped and various sources (including YACF) pointed me to Lake. I got the cheapest SPD pair and then did LEL 2017 and didn't have a problem (well I did but not a foot related problem). I bought another pair the following year as future proofing but I think I need to do that again this summer as I'm going to have a big problem if Lake disappears. Salt Dog cycling is the place to go for Lake shoes https://www.saltdogcycling.com/
In case of any doubt or ambiguity ... I really like Lake shoes  :)

« Reply #37 on: 21 June, 2021, 09:50:34 am »
intersting. lake (like Bont) are a bathtub construction on the sole whereas other brands are a flat sole attached to the uppers. That might be the difference

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #38 on: 16 June, 2022, 10:49:37 pm »
Shimano AK47's for me.

I tried a pair of Wank Brothers once and the right pedal started to freeze on its axle on that large A-road downhill section about 100K into Brimstone (on the way to that roundabout with the modern sculpture, on the edge of a trading estate). 

Not such an issue when riding a skimmer aye?!  I can still feel the fear...

rogerzilla

« Reply #39 on: 17 June, 2022, 06:34:52 am »
Did they actually call pedals AK47?  Are they popular in disaffected banana republics?

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #40 on: 17 June, 2022, 09:06:12 pm »
I am aware that Shimano actually calls them 540s but the similarity between the characteristics of said clipless cycle peddle and semi-automatic assault rifle are somewhat limitless...

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #41 on: 17 June, 2022, 09:16:12 pm »
Did they actually call pedals AK47?  Are they popular in disaffected banana republics?

Are you referring to Hackney..?!?