Author Topic: UK frame building supplier, not Ceeway?  (Read 1465 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
UK frame building supplier, not Ceeway?
« on: 02 May, 2021, 08:27:57 pm »
I am looking at getting a steel fork made. The arrangement looks mostly normal but is unique, so there is no fork available off the shelf.

Ceeway is out of the type of fork crown that I am looking for and will remain out of stock for many months. Framebuilder suppliers in every country don’t want to export to the UK (fucking Brexit again).

What other UK frame building supplier is out there?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Re: UK frame building supplier, not Ceeway?
« Reply #1 on: 02 May, 2021, 11:48:15 pm »
When they resprayed my Roberts frame (admittedly quite a few years back now), Argos of Bristol made me a fine pair of Columbus steel forks to replace the carbon forks that originally came with the frame.

(Edit: apologies, I see now that you are looking for a supplier of frame building parts, so my suggestion is of limited usefulness. I failed to read your post correctly.)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2 on: 03 May, 2021, 07:50:34 am »
You could try Doug Pinkerton at Redditch (he made a new fork for a friend of mine about a year ago) - 07778 429313   or   https://pinkertonclassiccycles.co.uk/

He also repaired a crack lug on my, now sold, CB Majestic (the one I rode Dun Run on in 2003!)

[Doug is the son of the late John Pinkerton - bike historian and big collection of bikes now in a museum]

« Reply #3 on: 03 May, 2021, 08:58:25 am »
Is it a very unusual crown, or just a specific one? I’d suggest looking at the ( increasingly diminishing) uK frame builders and see if any of them are using the type you want; in which case they may have stock. It may be that the corollary is that they build the forks.
Jason Rourke has all the stock and jigs etc from Longstaff’s - after being very good to the family to help them complete orders etc following Mr Longstaff’s death. He might be worth an enquiry.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 03 May, 2021, 09:33:07 am »
I already have a framebuilder, the one who built the frame the fork will be going into. I think I will have to get the details of which fork crowns Ceeway actually has in stock. Resorting to private import of a fork crown is a possibility.

« Reply #5 on: 04 May, 2021, 11:34:46 am »
I already have a framebuilder, the one who built the frame the fork will be going into. I think I will have to get the details of which fork crowns Ceeway actually has in stock. Resorting to private import of a fork crown is a possibility.

Do you have (know of) a supplier on the continent - preferably anglophone or francophone? Going from a private individual on the continent to a private individual in UK might be an easier way of doing it. The worst that i could see happening is that you end up paying VAT in both countries (and I am not sure how likely that is; UK Customs and Excise - if that's what they call themselves these days were saying that the computer systems wouldn't be up and running before july). The last couple of parcels that we have sent - between family members but without a matching surname - have passed without problem.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: 05 May, 2021, 07:15:58 am »
Frame building suppliers in the USA, UK and even Australia are easy to find but my limited language skills means I have not yet found any European supplier of fork crowns. I don’t think there are as many custom and hobby frame builders in Europe as in Anglophone countries, though there are several small manufacturers.

The vast majority of investment cast frame parts are made by Everest nowadays, regardless of who’s name is on them. That doesn’t mean you can order them directly. http://www.everest-ind.com.tw/english/produce.htm