Author Topic: PBP - Reflective vests?  (Read 99632 times)

Re: PBP - Reflective vests?
« Reply #50 on: 27 January, 2010, 09:17:58 am »
I'm pretty ambivalent when it comes to dustbin-man suits. The proportion of accidents on the open road where your lights were not seen, but reflectives would have been must be incredibly small (assuming you have decent lights, of course).

So while I wouldn't avoid a product because it incorporates reflectives, I don't seek them out either (except on my right wrist where I have one of those really bright Scotchlite bands, for signalling with).

It can't be as simple as all that anyway - my girlfriend and I both used to commute up the A90 into Edinburgh, me in a charcoal jacket and she in a luminous one, and guess who had more trouble with close overtakes! :)

To go slightly OT, does anyone know how the French do with pedal reflector / other bike reflector rules? Do I need to dig out the spoke reflectors from our last new bike? ;)

« Reply #51 on: 27 January, 2010, 10:01:49 am »
I was trying to find the pictures of the reflective top I wore for PBP. It was about as minimal as it is possible to get. Just a V shaped of reflective tape (like braces) and a belt. It was high enough that it did not interfere with my access to rear pockets and minimal enough not to bother me in any other way. Passed scrutineering as well. I'll dig out some photos later, although they'll be buried in the PBP photo thread.

« Reply #52 on: 27 January, 2010, 10:04:10 am »
was it like mine ?

« Reply #53 on: 27 January, 2010, 10:07:48 am »
I have a reflective vest from http://www.urban-glow.com/home.ht
Mine is a tour vest-  probably goes to the other end of the spectrum - it is a good bit of kit.
Have a look at their lighter Tristar Urban-Glow front details

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #54 on: 27 January, 2010, 10:53:37 am »
As a Gilet-wearer*, I'm tempted to get something that actually works as a gilet, rather than being something extra that I'll resent carting around.

Whereas I just want the reflective bit to go over whatever I'm wearing and not make me warmer or sweatier.
Yes, i think that's a sensible approach too - what I really don't want, is something inbetween!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #55 on: 27 January, 2010, 10:55:20 am »
As a Gilet-wearer*, I'm tempted to get something that actually works as a gilet, rather than being something extra that I'll resent carting around.

Whereas I just want the reflective bit to go over whatever I'm wearing and not make me warmer or sweatier.
Yes, i think that's a sensible approach too - what I really don't want, is something inbetween!
it's what I want and have. But rules are rules. C'est la vie

Fiona N

« Reply #56 on: 09 June, 2010, 04:26:29 pm »
I'm very tempted to do a bit of DIY as the various vests and gilets I've seen have either been too heavy/bulky or too little reflective material to fulfil the French requirements - running gilets seem to fall into this category, they just have a bit of piping and/or small logos rather than the full width, 5 cm stripes etc.

Pennine Outdoor (as well as other places) sell reflective tape and piping as well as dayglo materials, so I feel an afternoon of sewing coming on  ;D but perhaps not for a while yet  ::-) Or maybe it would be good to do some testing beforehand - I'm signed up for the Galashiels 400 in August so plenty of dark roads there, me thinks  8)

« Reply #57 on: 09 June, 2010, 04:43:19 pm »
Whatever you settle on will have to be capable of going over all your clothes, you'll be wearing it at night when you will have all your warm stuff on and it might be raining.
This film shows the full range of reflective stuff people wore, I assume it all passed inspection.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #58 on: 09 June, 2010, 06:09:35 pm »
Poundland gilets are extremely lightweight, thin and packable, and claim to conform to recent French (not PBP) legal requirement"".  And they cost, er, £1.

"" as such, they are more 'hi-viz' than 'reflective'.  I can vouch that in wet conditions, if worn over a dark garment, they are actually almost invisible.  But legal.  PBP requirement will presumably drop into line with the new French legislation - otherwise you might need to carry 2 gilets, a hi-viz one for day (French law) and a reflective one for night (PBP).
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #59 on: 09 June, 2010, 06:54:32 pm »
I had a reflective vest once.

But I got fed up with it constantly wanting to discuss the meaning of life  :)

IGMC.

« Reply #60 on: 18 August, 2010, 08:38:56 am »
At the recent Semaine Federal I bought the "official" FFCT (Federation Francais Cyclo Tourisme) reflective gilet. IMO it is very good quality and a much better specifically designed item than cheaper options.   It cost 15 euros.

La boutique FFCT - La sécurité

PS   I bought it for general use not for PBP 2011! :hand:

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #61 on: 18 August, 2010, 10:25:00 am »
Good grief - that looks almost usable. It's got a zip. And a drop tail .... hard to tell from photos, but it may actually be a proper cycling gilet!

Which for 15E isn't bad at all.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

border-rider

« Reply #62 on: 18 August, 2010, 10:30:08 am »
Good grief - that looks almost usable. It's got a zip. And a drop tail .... hard to tell from photos, but it may actually be a proper cycling gilet!

Looks a bit sweaty to me....

I've got one of the cheapo mesh ones, which I prefer to the AUK one (that I also have) for that reason.  I'll still stick with a belt-type for PBP though.

Martin

« Reply #63 on: 18 August, 2010, 10:30:31 am »

JJB do jogging ones for about 1/2 the price

DaveJ

• Happy days
« Reply #64 on: 18 August, 2010, 10:44:34 am »
[I'll still stick with a belt-type for PBP though.

Will that be possible?  I thought that French law mandated a reflective gilet now?

Dave

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #65 on: 18 August, 2010, 01:48:04 pm »
Whatever you settle on will have to be capable of going over all your clothes, you'll be wearing it at night when you will have all your warm stuff on and it might be raining.
This film shows the full range of reflective stuff people wore, I assume it all passed inspection.
<a href="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1123364&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA" target="_blank">http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1123364&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA</a>

That's a great bit of film, Damon. Is it part of a series - e.g. first night, third night?

I didn't ride in 07 but I recall the Loudeac problem in 03.  I lost a lot of time queueing for food so once I saw the queues for beds I carried on to Carhaix and grabbed a couple of hours there. Next time I will be aiming to ride straight through to Carhaix before sleeping.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #66 on: 18 August, 2010, 01:51:03 pm »

Will that be possible?  I thought that French law mandated a reflective gilet now?

Dave
I'm guessing MV means the "sam Browne" style i.e. chest-diagonal + belt.

Does anyone have an actual reference for the law, or better still the bit that is believed to have changed since 2007 (when many of us wore the belt type!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

border-rider

« Reply #67 on: 18 August, 2010, 01:55:51 pm »

Dave

Good point.  As Matt says, anyone know for sure ?

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #68 on: 18 August, 2010, 02:28:49 pm »

From PBP site:

A reflective vest or crossbelt or reflective garment MUST be worn when riding at night (this equiment must be presented at the cycle check). If your reflective gear is obscured (perhaps because you are carrying a backpack or riding a recumbent) ensure you have additional reflective material to ensure you are visible. Light coloured clothing is recommended for night riding. It is highly recommended that a rigid helmet be worn throughout the event. It is recommended that the official P.B.P. jersey or a club jersey be worn. Professional cycling team jerseys are prohibited.
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #69 on: 18 August, 2010, 02:45:53 pm »
But on the other hand:
According to French law, a reflective vest is mandatory
when riding at night. Alternatives like a reflective sash or
belt are not acceptable as substitutes. Reflective ankle
bands are recommended as an additional safety feature.
From the 2011 brochure

« Reply #70 on: 18 August, 2010, 04:39:58 pm »
Rapha had some pink tabards with a reflective band at the 24. Some people might like those.

« Reply #71 on: 18 August, 2010, 04:48:06 pm »
<a href="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1123364&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA" target="_blank">http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1123364&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA</a>

That's a great bit of film, Damon. Is it part of a series - e.g. first night, third night?

I didn't ride in 07 but I recall the Loudeac problem in 03.  I lost a lot of time queueing for food so once I saw the queues for beds I carried on to Carhaix and grabbed a couple of hours there. Next time I will be aiming to ride straight through to Carhaix before sleeping.

It's part of a DVD, there was one in 2003, extracts are on Vimeo as Youtube don't like the music.

<a href="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=9211968&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA" target="_blank">http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=9211968&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA</a>
<a href="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=9211423&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA" target="_blank">http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=9211423&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA</a>

Every 4 years brings an advance in technology, in 2011 it should be possible to carry a broadcast quality HD camera, but every PBP stretches the enthusiasm for this sort of thing a bit thinner.

LEE

« Reply #72 on: 18 August, 2010, 04:51:01 pm »
Rapha had some pink tabards with a reflective band at the 24. Some people might like those.

£55 I imagine

(Do they do a Tweed version?)

« Reply #73 on: 18 August, 2010, 04:54:28 pm »

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #74 on: 18 August, 2010, 05:48:14 pm »
Every 4 years brings an advance in technology, in 2011 it should be possible to carry a broadcast quality HD camera, but every PBP stretches the enthusiasm for this sort of thing a bit thinner.
You'd probably get some more zip if Rapha gave you some stuff to wear :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------