Author Topic: PBP - Reflective vests?  (Read 99627 times)

Matt-T

• Oops !
Re: PBP - Reflective vests?
« Reply #75 on: 30 August, 2010, 03:51:05 pm »
Looks a bit sweaty to me....

I went to France for a ride at the weekend and bought one of these - definitely not sweaty as the material is a fine mesh.

After wearing it for three days non-stop the design seems to be pretty well thought out (loads of reflective material, cut-outs to access jersey pockets) and it's CE marked.

15 euros seemed a bargain and the FFCT shop were really helpful, letting me try on different sizes.

robbo6

« Reply #76 on: 03 September, 2010, 12:49:47 am »

I'm guessing MV means the "sam Browne" style i.e. chest-diagonal + belt.

Does anyone have an actual reference for the law, or better still the bit that is believed to have changed since 2007 (when many of us wore the belt type!)

Le site de la Sécurité Routière - Gilet et triangle de présignalisation  

- Les cyclistes (conducteur et passager), doivent revêtir un gilet de sécurité pour circuler hors agglomération de nuit, ou de jour lorsque la visibilité est insuffisante, à compter du 1er octobre 2008. Dès le 1er octobre, le non-respect de ces mesures sera passible pour les cyclistes, d’une contravention de deuxième classe d’un montant de 35 € (22 € pour l’amende minorée).

« Reply #77 on: 03 September, 2010, 01:26:32 am »
I made the mistake of ordering a fluoro pink high vis vest from Sustrans once, they claimed to be 'one size' but the one size is actually XL and would fit myself and 2 other similarly sized people in it simultaneously. Maybe one day I will get out my sewing machine and alter it  ::-)

border-rider

« Reply #78 on: 03 September, 2010, 09:40:56 am »

robbo6

« Reply #79 on: 08 September, 2010, 06:25:56 pm »
One other little thing that has come in recently is that two abreast riding is prohibited after dark.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #80 on: 08 September, 2010, 06:29:17 pm »
Could someone please despatch a ROFL-copter?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #81 on: 09 September, 2010, 01:07:10 pm »
One other little thing that has come in recently is that two abreast riding is prohibited after dark.

PBP rules, French law, or a joke?

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #82 on: 09 September, 2010, 02:01:39 pm »

That should make the first night interesting as 4,000 cyclists leave Paris in single file
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #83 on: 09 September, 2010, 02:04:53 pm »
If riding 2 abreast is banned, simply ride 3 (or more) abreast.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #85 on: 09 September, 2010, 06:14:25 pm »
Or just do like the locals, ignore inconvenient laws!
Chief cat entertainer.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #87 on: 09 September, 2010, 09:31:05 pm »
http://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichCodeArticle.do?cidTexte=LEGITEXT000006074228&idArticle=LEGIARTI000006842339&dateTexte=20100909

I read this as referring to motor bikes and scooters rather than pedal cycles

According to my French, it does apply to pedal cycles not towing a trailer. ;)

BTW I didn't know this!
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #88 on: 09 September, 2010, 10:29:59 pm »
Quote from: google_translation
The drivers of two-wheeled cycles without a trailer or sidecar shall never ride more than two abreast on the roadway.

They must be in single file after the fall of day and in all cases where traffic conditions require, in particular when a vehicle wanting to go beyond listing his approach.

Mrs G says that's a pretty reasonable translation.

So, never more than 2 abreast during the day, and at night, single file.

Comedy 'beyond listing his approach' left in on purpose...

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #89 on: 10 September, 2010, 09:38:02 am »
Or just do like the locals, ignore inconvenient laws!
The problem comes on an event, run by the locals, where they can impose penalties for breaking any laws.

I'll be interested to hear what the organisers have to say about this.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Andrew

« Reply #90 on: 18 October, 2010, 06:43:11 pm »
The 'official' French ones (i.e. the approved ones as sold by/for the FFCT) are reduced in price from €79 to €45 until the end of the month...

---> L2S-Shop.com

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #91 on: 18 October, 2010, 06:56:06 pm »
LEL - free ankle-bands!

PBP - €45 surcharge to buy the official vest (or €79 next month).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Andrew

« Reply #92 on: 18 October, 2010, 07:07:04 pm »
sheesh... you try to offer info to people who might be interested and what do you get?  ::-)

It's not the official PBP gilet at all. It's a night-time use regulation conforming gilet as recommended by the FFCT. You are quite free to wear something else for PBP if you wish (subject to scrutineers approval of course). 

Personally, I think it's a decent product and have ordered one, not just for PBP but for night-time wear generally. It's a functional gilet, good thought into design and legal high-viz.

« Reply #93 on: 18 October, 2010, 07:18:20 pm »
sheesh... you try to offer info to people who might be interested and what do you get?  ::-)

The mattc attackbot kicks in!   ;D

« Reply #94 on: 18 October, 2010, 07:26:07 pm »
They don't seem to want to accept an online order from outside France - anyone successfully ordered one?

« Reply #95 on: 18 October, 2010, 07:32:20 pm »
I have a black Gore Xenon vest/gilet that has reflective patches and piping on it. I wonder if it will be enough:-

This one: Google images result for 'Gore Xenon Gilet'

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #96 on: 18 October, 2010, 07:32:51 pm »

The mattc attackbot kicks in!   ;D
... and with Pavlovian reflex, the Flatus spoon of stirring whips into action!

Andrew, I wasn't having a go at you  :-*

I just object to wearing stuff we don't need on an event. And as this is the only vest officially approved (that I know of, so far) it does verge on a money-making venture, doncha think?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

simonp

« Reply #97 on: 18 October, 2010, 07:43:55 pm »
sheesh... you try to offer info to people who might be interested and what do you get?  ::-)

The mattc attackbot kicks in!   ;D
... and with Pavlovian reflex, the Flatus spoon of stirring whips into action!

Andrew, I wasn't having a go at you  :-*

I just object to wearing stuff we don't need on an event. And as this is the only vest officially approved (that I know of, so far) it does verge on a money-making venture, doncha think?

I'd be very surprised if that was the only CE approved reflective vest.

(Edit: The required standard is EN1150, which is what the FFCT gilet meets, apparently.  I probably already have a vest that meets this; I'll have to check whether it's marked though)

« Reply #98 on: 18 October, 2010, 07:55:34 pm »
(Edit: The required standard is EN1150, which is what the FFCT gilet meets, apparently.  I probably already have a vest that meets this; I'll have to check whether it's marked though)

A small run of labels stating EN1150 compliance would be much cheaper.

« Reply #99 on: 18 October, 2010, 11:24:13 pm »
If anyone would like a fluoro pink high vis Sustrans gilet with reflective stripes all over it in size Large (and it is large), let me know. It could provide me with spacious outdoor accomodation but is a lot too big to actually wear. (They were sold as 'one size'  ???)