Author Topic: PBP - Reflective vests?  (Read 99688 times)

Re: PBP - Reflective vests?
« Reply #200 on: 28 October, 2010, 01:49:13 pm »
I'll be using my LEL ankle straps (and no panniers). The same type of motion and just as visible (if not more) than pedal reflectors and showing an attempt to comply with the spirit of the law.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #201 on: 28 October, 2010, 01:50:59 pm »
Do you mean this?

It does but the point is that a number of us want to take the skimpiest, most lightweight and packable piece of mesh that we can get away with, which that isn't.  We may alternatively be prepared to go for a proper cycling gilet that complies, but we don't want to spend nearly £20 on a dustman's garment that is flappy when being worn and relatively bulky when stowed in a saddlebag.

I was trying to be helpful, i have ordered one of these and can comment further when it arrives. i was taken in by

Features:
A cycle specific hi-viz waistcoat that meets and exceeds EN471, class 1, level 1
EN471 is the highest safety standard for reflective clothing
Bright yellow and orange material with reflective silver stripes
Soft-touch material and an easy-to-use zip
Extended tail for extra visibility when riding
LED light loop

I have an easily stowable lightweight one but it doesn't comply.

When you're too tired to continue you fall off                            

200(7) 300(4) 400(4) 600(3) 1200(1) 1400(1)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #202 on: 28 October, 2010, 01:54:39 pm »
It's also an offence if your pedal reflectors are obscured at any point, for example if you have panniers fitted.

Or are riding on certain types of lying-down-stylee machinery.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #203 on: 28 October, 2010, 02:05:46 pm »
Hold on, are you seriously telling me that recumbents are illegal in France?

« Reply #204 on: 28 October, 2010, 02:14:19 pm »
At night your cycle MUST have white front and red rear lights lit. It MUST also be fitted with a red rear reflector (and amber pedal reflectors, if manufactured after 1/10/85).

From the Highway Code.

« Reply #205 on: 28 October, 2010, 02:15:06 pm »

No, a recumbent isn't illegal in France, nor is one illegal in the UK.

But there seems to be no way to legally ride one in the UK after dark and comply with the requirements for visible pedal reflectors as laid down (no pun intended) by the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989.

I'm guessing the same is true in France.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #206 on: 28 October, 2010, 02:16:44 pm »

But there seems to be no way to legally ride one in the UK after dark and comply with the requirements for visible pedal reflectors as laid down (no pun intended) by the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989.

Obviously a system of mirrors should be employed.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #207 on: 28 October, 2010, 03:22:59 pm »

A few years ago I rode Windcheetah 002 back from a do at Bikefix after dark, legally, as it was built before 1985.  The chain climbed into the back wheel outside Holloway prison which left Mr Larrington wearing said trike for a hat.  TWFKAML was more concerned about the state of my jersey than the state of my sorely-abused bod - the jersey had been a crimbling-yule present from her family and Cost Money, whereas new husbands can be obtained for free from various charitable organisations, gigs, pubs, nightclubs, etc. etc..

Neither of my road-going recumbents has a legal reflector, but all rearward-facing bits of both are slathered with retro-reflective tape and/or stickers which stand out like a sore wossname.  Only the most pedantic member of the five-oh would get a strop on if approaching it after dark.  I've even got reflective tape on the underside (forward-facing bit) of the pedals...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #208 on: 28 October, 2010, 03:46:10 pm »
 Just used the yahoo translater to translate the et apris bit

And after…? Beyond the port of your waistcoat high-visibility, your cycle must be provided with fires before and back and reflectors on the pedals, c' is obligatory. Think of replacing the lightings provided to l' purchase of your bicycle, those are often of poor quality. Lastly, it is strongly advised to carry a helmet in conformity with the standards of dryness

« Reply #209 on: 28 October, 2010, 06:04:08 pm »
I object to being asked to conform to any standard of dryness.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #210 on: 28 October, 2010, 06:07:32 pm »
Pick two:-

a) Inexpensive
b) lightweight/easy-to-stow/not-flappy
c) EN standards compliant

As mentioned before, our local Poundland gilets tick all 3 boxes.
And are almost invisible when wet.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #211 on: 28 October, 2010, 07:17:48 pm »
More worried about the pedal reflectors than dryness, mind you the way the health is going  ;D

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #212 on: 28 October, 2010, 07:23:48 pm »
Pick two:-

a) Inexpensive
b) lightweight/easy-to-stow/not-flappy
c) EN standards compliant

As mentioned before, our local Poundland gilets tick all 3 boxes.
And are almost invisible when wet.
Our <poundland equivalent> had something; the reflective bits would not be invisible (except in complete darkness). Frankie's may be different!

(didn't take it out of the packet, so it might have been flappy ;) )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #213 on: 28 October, 2010, 07:25:51 pm »
Yep, as with panniers it's illegal to ride a recumbent at night. Still, I view this more in the same way as it's illegal to ride with a light that is not kite-marked - it's pretty much irrelevant.

If I had anything less than the ridiculous amount of space I get when I ride at night, it might be another matter. But as it is, even at night the forcefield gives some benefit...

« Reply #214 on: 28 October, 2010, 11:48:55 pm »
More worried about the pedal reflectors than dryness, mind you the way the health is going  ;D

So far I've ridden three without pedal reflectors - if that helps.

« Reply #215 on: 29 October, 2010, 03:03:59 pm »
Do you mean this?

It does but the point is that a number of us want to take the skimpiest, most lightweight and packable piece of mesh that we can get away with, which that isn't.  We may alternatively be prepared to go for a proper cycling gilet that complies, but we don't want to spend nearly £20 on a dustman's garment that is flappy when being worn and relatively bulky when stowed in a saddlebag.

I was trying to be helpful, i have ordered one of these and can comment further when it arrives. i was taken in by

Features:
A cycle specific hi-viz waistcoat that meets and exceeds EN471, class 1, level 1
EN471 is the highest safety standard for reflective clothing
Bright yellow and orange material with reflective silver stripes
Soft-touch material and an easy-to-use zip
Extended tail for extra visibility when riding
LED light loop

I have an easily stowable lightweight one but it doesn't comply.

It arrived and will soon be on its way back. Stitching issue, i always get the duff one l/Xl also too big for me. Larger bands so not very flexible and expect many will suffer from this. Cyclists flap and extra vision stuff good idea. If it fitted well it would do the job but not for me unless nothing better transpires. 2011 could well look like a binmens conference.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #216 on: 29 October, 2010, 04:03:07 pm »
2011 could well look like a binmens conference.

fortunately all that will show up in the photos is reflections from the Hi-Viz (just like previous years, only more so).

So outsiders will never be exposed to the full horror !!!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #217 on: 29 October, 2010, 05:49:27 pm »
2011 could well look like a binmens conference.

fortunately all that will show up in the photos is reflections from the Hi-Viz (just like previous years, only more so).

So outsiders will never be exposed to the full horror !!!

Not at all. Just take a DSLR and some fast lenses.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #218 on: 30 October, 2010, 10:43:29 am »
<Londoncentric point>

A fellow Barnet Cyclist was wearing a 'good going' vest at our meeting a couple of days ago. It seemed lightweight and meshy.
I checked; it is certified and has the requisite label.

I think these were free goodies at Bike week a while back...

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #219 on: 30 October, 2010, 01:28:28 pm »

So far I've ridden three without pedal reflectors - if that helps.

This was the spirit of my remark. I would be surprised if they check the labels. If they do -assuming I can't find a suitable one with a label - I will show them a cheap one from a service station with label and wear something sensible (ie high viz and breathable) during the event.

Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #220 on: 30 October, 2010, 09:15:35 pm »
You aren't sneaky enough. If your good one looks the part but isn't approved, then snip the label out of a cheap one and sew it in (using a sewing machine so it looks the part, rather than hand sewing).

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #221 on: 02 November, 2010, 10:50:05 am »
I'm really disappointed in you lot. We have still only managed to talk about PBP reflective gear for 15 pages. I won't be happy until we get to at least 30.   ;)
Owner of a languishing Langster

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #222 on: 02 November, 2010, 01:03:59 pm »
I'm really disappointed in you lot. We have still only managed to talk about PBP reflective gear for 15 pages. I won't be happy until we get to at least 30.   ;)

I did try hard to introduce pedal reflectors to boost the count but with moderate success.
Chief cat entertainer.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #223 on: 02 November, 2010, 01:06:47 pm »
Relax. Audax is about pacing yourself - it's 2 months before even the quallies start.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Plodder

• More of a lurker than a poster!
« Reply #224 on: 02 November, 2010, 06:37:56 pm »

The law says that you must wear a gilet with the necessary reflex-reflective bits.
Does that mean that, if you have a jacket (with sleeves) that otherwise meets the requirements, you have to wear a suitable gilet (defined as sleeveless) over the top to comply with said law?

Fetches coat... and gilet

The Portsmouth Wednesday Night Pub Ride Group - "a drinking club with a cycling problem".