Author Topic: PBP - Reflective vests?  (Read 99663 times)

Re: PBP - Reflective vests?
« Reply #250 on: 08 November, 2010, 08:16:58 am »
Also interested in the tabbard, what would be the international shipping?

Postage £1.85 to the Nederlands, so call it £7 total. That might make it more expensive for you than off the internet.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #251 on: 08 November, 2010, 09:28:41 am »
Surely those wearing a tabbard will be flying in the face of l'instruction from ACP on wearing a gillet?

Isn't that a flagrant flouncing of the rules?

H

« Reply #252 on: 08 November, 2010, 09:42:24 am »
Surely those wearing a tabbard will be flying in the face of l'instruction from ACP on wearing a gillet?

H

I might draw a little zip in felt pen up the front.

Oh, the rebelliousness!

« Reply #253 on: 08 November, 2010, 12:55:01 pm »
Having just watched some Kraftwerk whilst riding the rollers, I think I'd prefer some Aero Dynamik reflectives. Unfortunately, even though they are visible from all sides they are probably not EN471 compliant  :(

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #254 on: 08 November, 2010, 04:43:14 pm »

H

I might draw a little zip in felt pen up the front.

Oh, the rebelliousness!

I'm starting to think that people may not be taking this thread seriously.
Owner of a languishing Langster

« Reply #255 on: 10 November, 2010, 05:15:35 pm »
Hi

The law here says exactly how the reflective vest must be. If you have found the one that drivers must carry, that's what you need as a cyclist. You must wear it at night outside built-up areas. You can buy them for a few euros at any supermarket and many big service stations.

It is unlikely the police would stop you if you were wearing a reflective vest of a different design. But the safety controllers at the start of PBP could possibly not allow you to start, because to allow you to start would be tantamount to suggesting you broke the law.

bonne route à tous et à toutes

french boy

Hummers

« Reply #256 on: 10 November, 2010, 10:55:52 pm »
Thank you French Boy but are you suggesting we can only buy these vests in France?

H

« Reply #257 on: 11 November, 2010, 06:47:36 am »
Thank you French Boy but are you suggesting we can only buy these vests in France?

H

Hi Hummers

Sadly I can't tell you if you can buy them in Britain. I don't live there. I am indeed a French Boy! But I doubt that our leaders in Paris, for all their faults, were likely to insist on a reflective vest that until then had never been made. So perhaps, yes, you can buy one in Britain. But the truth is that I don't know.

Sorry.

french boy

Hummers

« Reply #258 on: 11 November, 2010, 09:32:16 am »

H

Hi Hummers

Sadly I can't tell you if you can buy them in Britain. I don't live there. I am indeed a French Boy! But I doubt that our leaders in Paris, for all their faults, were likely to insist on a reflective vest that until then had never been made. So perhaps, yes, you can buy one in Britain. But the truth is that I don't know.

Sorry.

french boy

Merci, mon frere en bras - sans bras quand on apport un gilet.

Naturellement.

I can't help thinking that ACP have missed a trick here. Thay could have cleaned up with an ACP approved reflective vest emblazened with PBP logos and stuff.

H

« Reply #259 on: 11 November, 2010, 10:18:02 am »

[/quote]

Tu roules sans bras? Ca, c'est impressionant! Ou veux-tu dire « sans manches » ?!

bonne route

french boy

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #260 on: 11 November, 2010, 11:23:49 am »

H

Hi Hummers

Sorry.

french boy

Naturellement.

H

I think that the honourable resident of Hampshire got "bras" and "sans bras" confused with "les papa à poux pas papous" and "les papas papous pas à poux". I must admit that this gallic concept of classifying people depending on their  (or absence of) papuan origin, their breeder status and whether their scalp is colonised by lice may seem gratuitous. Nevertheless I would encourage the ambitious forummer to grasp this very important concept; some historians argue that it played a major role in the making of a nation populated by happy cheese eating  strike mongers. As most inhabitants of this garlic perfumed wonderland know, characterising garments or even people by the absence of arms is counter-productive and can only lead to sterile debates. Those who need convincing may read Jean Paul Sartre treaty on arms existentialism.

In case a rider were to find himself engaged with an official ACP controller debating over the counter-productiveness of arms for riding a bicycle, my advice would be to remind him the fundamental philosophical issue mentioned above. Assuming your debating skills are up to scratch, he should shrug shoulders and let you proceed to the start. I must warn the unwary reader that the concept explained above is so powerful that its abuse may lead to the local authorities depriving you of your freedom, they may argue looniness but really they would just be trying to preserve the established order.
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #261 on: 11 November, 2010, 03:09:16 pm »
It's a shame we only skirt Laval.
La cavale de Laval avala l'eau du lac, l'eau du lac lava la cavale de Laval.

I wonder if any aristocrats will ride, the 2007 rain may have put them off.
Les chaussettes de l'archiduchesse sont elles sèches, archi-sèches

« Reply #262 on: 11 November, 2010, 03:13:30 pm »
Mais moi, j'adore les gonzesses « sans bras »: blague bilingue!

french boy

Plodder

• More of a lurker than a poster!
« Reply #263 on: 11 November, 2010, 04:38:23 pm »
Tu roules sans bras? Ca, c'est impressionant! Ou veux-tu dire « sans manches » ?!

bonne route

french boy

Rouler sans bras? Pah! C'n'est rien. Rouler sans jambes, ça, c'est impressionnant!  ;)
The Portsmouth Wednesday Night Pub Ride Group - "a drinking club with a cycling problem".

« Reply #264 on: 11 November, 2010, 05:59:15 pm »
do not worry if your vest fails the bike check,you will be pointed to the stand selling the right ones.
 french ctc stand if i am right.

Andrew

« Reply #265 on: 11 November, 2010, 07:20:38 pm »

HOU la!!! Mais oui, n’oublie pas les jolies fesses! Gilet ou sans gilet!!

« Reply #266 on: 11 November, 2010, 07:23:13 pm »

HOU la!!! Mais oui, n’oublie pas les jolies fesses! Gilet ou sans gilet!!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-O6QE20TXCI&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/-O6QE20TXCI&rel=1</a>

Hummers

« Reply #267 on: 12 November, 2010, 12:50:30 am »

bonne route

french boy
[/quote]

Zut alors!

Mais oui, sans manches.

H

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #268 on: 12 November, 2010, 03:57:28 pm »
I've just received the latest CTC Cycle Clips.
It looks like Hampshire Police are doling out free gilets. The pattern of reflective strips suggests these my well be EN471 compliant.

Can any Hampshire AUK investigate?

Plodder

« Reply #269 on: 13 November, 2010, 11:29:02 am »
It looks like Hampshire Police are doling out free gilets. The pattern of reflective strips suggests these my well be EN471 compliant.

I have some contacts within Hants Police. I'll see what I can discover...
The Portsmouth Wednesday Night Pub Ride Group - "a drinking club with a cycling problem".

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #270 on: 13 November, 2010, 03:04:06 pm »
There is a possibility that the photo used in Cycle Clips was a stock photo, rather than anything handed out.

Plodder

« Reply #271 on: 16 November, 2010, 05:02:44 pm »

I have some contacts within Hants Police. I'll see what I can discover...

Thanks to HellyMedic for the info. It appears that this was a local initiative restricted to the New Forest as none of my contacts, who are all in the east of the county, has heard of it.

Hummers

« Reply #272 on: 16 November, 2010, 06:52:26 pm »
Shame.

H

« Reply #273 on: 16 November, 2010, 07:02:22 pm »
Zoom... passengers in a car don't have to have vests. Only the driver has to have one.

french boy

« Reply #274 on: 16 November, 2010, 07:11:09 pm »
There are many places here in France that sell legal-standard reflective vests by mail order. The first I happened to find, with a link to the very item, was

gilet sécurité pour velo&nbsp;-&nbsp;LeCyclo

It's a very long address.

So is

signalisation et sécurité pour vélo&nbsp;-&nbsp;LeCyclo

which is the page of the catalogue.

You can order on-line using a credit card. For those who haven't caught up yet, there is no import tax thanks to the EU.
Hope that helps.

french boy