Author Topic: PBP - Reflective vests?  (Read 99580 times)

Re: PBP - Reflective vests?
« Reply #300 on: 18 January, 2011, 09:37:52 am »
PBP is not just enforcing the law though - they required hi viz before it was a legal requirement, so concievably they might have asked for a higher standard than 1150 even though there's no legal basis for doing so.

After all, plenty of events in the UK mandate helmet use and/or hi-viz without any legal basis, don't they.

Glad to hear it isn't so. Now to find the least retina-searing 1150 jacket going...

Andrew

« Reply #301 on: 18 January, 2011, 11:21:47 am »
they required hi viz before it was a legal requirement

Did they? I didn't know that!

Clarification from the organiser as to their exact expectations is always a good thing, even at the risk of being a p-in-the-a. I certainly wouldn't want to fail pre-ride checks because my gilet was the wrong kind of high-viz!

« Reply #302 on: 18 January, 2011, 12:04:39 pm »
You're lucky - you just have to have a standard sort of bike that will get a standard sort of check!

Quite what they'll make of mine is another question entirely. For starters I'm switching to two front brakes (rim and disc) because there's not enough weight on the back one to make it a very effective stopper. I think for the purposes of inspection I'll have to fit a temporary back brake...  :facepalm:

« Reply #303 on: 18 January, 2011, 12:18:33 pm »
Isn't two front brakes a standard configuration on trikes, so not that unusual for the PBP bike check?

Of course, fitting an additional back brake may be worth it just for your stress levels.

« Reply #304 on: 18 January, 2011, 12:27:39 pm »
If you want a nice logo'd one then I suppose it's probably worth it, but I don't wear one often enough to be desirous of that myself.

The logo'd one appeals since it's a nice memento. I'll take my Audax UK one just in case I don't like the logo'd one and leave it in the tent if I prefer the logo'd one.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #305 on: 18 January, 2011, 12:50:14 pm »
Isn't two front brakes a standard configuration on trikes, so not that unusual for the PBP bike check?

Of course, fitting an additional back brake may be worth it just for your stress levels.

In the UK recumbents are road legal with just one brake* but, of course, it's sensible to have more than one system on something which has such a high terminal velocity - hence putting the extra on the front, where it will actually do some good if I ever need to use it.

However in France, I understand each wheel much be equipped with a "braking device", on pain of an 11€ fine. Of course this does not apply to l'étranger during PBP**, but only legally. The PBP inspector can set whatever bar he wishes...

Anyway, this is all very OT and I apologise!

* because the seat height is less than 635mm (pedal cycles construction and use regulations 1983).

** as our bikes abroad are covered by the 1968 Vienna convention on road traffic, which mandates only that you must "have an efficient brake".

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #306 on: 18 January, 2011, 05:37:39 pm »
As mentioned above, there has never been a problem at PBP with upright trikes only having brakes on one wheel.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

border-rider

« Reply #307 on: 18 January, 2011, 05:44:11 pm »
I think (and this is just based on my experience) that the bike checkers are cyclists mostly, with a bit of technical knowledge, and understand such stuff  - or or open to persuasion.  IIRC they were mostly interested in lights (the correct number and [2003] that you had spare bulbs*) and hi viz, and that the machine looked capable of making the trip.

*which were frequently shared between riders :)

steveindenmark

« Reply #308 on: 23 January, 2011, 10:37:43 pm »
I cannot believe a vis vest thread has managed to drag out for 21 pages.

We will all need a vis vest with a zip. I think that about covers it.

I will ahve my Altura night vision with me as well.

Steve

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #309 on: 24 January, 2011, 10:19:08 am »
I'm afraid that does not appear EN471 compliant...

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #310 on: 24 January, 2011, 08:24:47 pm »
Just bought mine from Ian Hennessy  :thumbsup:

Linky:  http://www.ukcyclist.co.uk/shop
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #311 on: 25 January, 2011, 07:53:41 am »
Just bought mine from Ian Hennessy  :thumbsup:

Linky:  http://www.ukcyclist.co.uk/shop

Ooh, that's handy!  So handy, in fact, that it would be daft not to...  Order placed. 

Thanks Ian (and fungus)

aptstarfish

« Reply #312 on: 25 January, 2011, 11:08:36 am »
The refective vest from Ukcyclist does tick a number of boxes... mainly cost and EN compliant but it does look as though it could become a sail an flap about. Has anyone bought one of these and modified it to minimise flapping?

AndyH

« Reply #313 on: 25 January, 2011, 12:06:26 pm »
I'll let you know how mine is after the weekend Alex, but Panoramix has one and he seemed pleased with it - no significant flapping.

EDIT hows the winter miles going? Shouldn't it read Winter miles = Cold feet ?

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #314 on: 25 January, 2011, 12:27:02 pm »
The refective vest from Ukcyclist does tick a number of boxes... mainly cost and EN compliant but it does look as though it could become a sail an flap about. Has anyone bought one of these and modified it to minimise flapping?

I'm pretty small so will probably be modifying mine a little, fortunately I know a seamstress or 2  :thumbsup:
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #315 on: 25 January, 2011, 01:05:45 pm »
[Paris-Brest-Paris 2011]    Re: PBP - Reflective vests? by Oranj        Today at 01:01:52 PM

Made me smile! I guess some will be orange ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #316 on: 25 January, 2011, 01:17:08 pm »
My local builders merchant sells EN471-compliant vests, £3 each. Why would you need anything more?

Well, do they do small sizes, or just one Big FO Builder size?  Are they 'solid' (= hot & sweaty) or mesh?  Do they pack up to a small size?  etc etc etc, which is why we're on page 22.

Chris N

« Reply #317 on: 25 January, 2011, 01:35:13 pm »
I'm pretty small so will probably be modifying mine a little, fortunately I know a seamstress or 2  :thumbsup:

I'll be modifying my reflective vest too - raise the front a few inches so it doesn't bunch when you lean forwards, take the sides in a bit so it's less flappy and add a couple of slits in the back so that I can get to my shirt pockets while I'm wearing it.

I might also see if I can find an EN 471:2003 or EN 1150:1999 label to stitch into the collar while I'm at it. O:-)

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #318 on: 25 January, 2011, 01:48:56 pm »
I heard Ready Brek makes you EN471 compliant

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #319 on: 25 January, 2011, 01:51:45 pm »
I want a string-vest style version but can't seem to find anything.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

AndyH

« Reply #320 on: 25 January, 2011, 02:22:08 pm »
I heard Ready Brek makes you EN471 compliant
I think it only conforms to the old British Standard, and has not been approved by Brussels

border-rider

« Reply #321 on: 25 January, 2011, 02:27:39 pm »
My local builders merchant sells EN471-compliant vests, £3 each. Why would you need anything more?

Well, do they do small sizes, or just one Big FO Builder size?  Are they 'solid' (= hot & sweaty) or mesh?  Do they pack up to a small size?  etc etc etc, which is why we're on page 22.

On an earlier page somewhere last week I said I'd got mine for a couple of quid from Lidl.  It's mesh (although not a string vest mesh - that I'd prefer), not sweaty and packs down to quite tiny.  Several sizes (were) available, but you know what Lidl are like.

« Reply #322 on: 26 January, 2011, 11:06:27 am »

Those who've ordered: thanks, and I'll be posting them tomorrow.

About flappiness: if you choose the right size they fit snugly and are actually quite short - think waistcoat dimensions.

aptstarfish

« Reply #323 on: 26 January, 2011, 12:40:22 pm »
Ow do AndyH... seems ages ago since the DIY MK 600... the weather up here recently has been positively tropical... so plenty of smiles racking up the miles... did a DIY 200 a couple of weeks ago... it took 13 hrs but it was my first long ride for ages and the wind was brutal... first BRM calender event will be the Nippy Sweetie from Edinburgh 6 Feb... All my rides I've signed up for so far are up north or Scotland... I see from the AUK site you are already racking up the miles and points... good lad...

Happy cycling...

Andrew

« Reply #324 on: 05 February, 2011, 02:00:49 pm »
I thought this thread needed a bump!  ;)

I've just read on the French PBP forum that the 'official' gilet will be priced at €20, is ordered at registration time and collected when you collect all the other gubbins on sign-up day.