Author Topic: PBP - Reflective vests?  (Read 99624 times)

Clandy

Re: PBP - Reflective vests?
« Reply #325 on: 05 February, 2011, 02:26:28 pm »
You can buy reflective vests in the Pound shop, in the car section.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #326 on: 11 March, 2011, 02:44:50 pm »
this poor thread has been neglected for too long. after 22 pages I expect a lot of us have forgotten what was said earlier - do you think we can go round again?
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #327 on: 11 March, 2011, 04:07:59 pm »
Do you reckon I could attach some of these to my gilet?

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #328 on: 01 April, 2011, 12:46:10 pm »
Just impressed myself: I clicked the "New" link into this thread, and it opened on page 3, postings from circa Jan 2010.
I skipped the next 20 pages. Did I miss much?

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #329 on: 01 April, 2011, 01:20:11 pm »
Not really. Other than GrahamG wants a string one. And IanH is flogging them on his website.
Mojo is being awakened.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #330 on: 01 April, 2011, 05:58:32 pm »
Thanks  :thumbsup:. I now feel completely up to date on all the important matters regarding PBP.

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #331 on: 01 April, 2011, 07:01:53 pm »
Thanks  :thumbsup:. I now feel completely up to date on all the important matters regarding PBP.

Not yet. You haven't considered your valve caps. Which should be clear. Or match your frame. Or left off all together. Then there's the lock nut. Some are adament these should be left off in case you get a visitation at 3am on the second night in the pi**ing rain and the Belgian you've been towing for the last 4 hours  goes off up the road leaving you all alone with a Dynahub which won't show you what you're doing. But then perhaps you should have battery lights.
Mojo is being awakened.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #332 on: 01 April, 2011, 08:49:39 pm »
Come come! You're confusing matters now. I'm sure those lesser yet still important subjects you mention must have their own thread somewhere, which no doubt I'll stumble upon in due course and hopefully in good time before the great event itself.
Whilst the thought is much appreciated, there's no need to sully this nice concise thread with spurious complications.

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #333 on: 01 April, 2011, 11:08:41 pm »
You're right. I shouldn't deny others their fun.
Mojo is being awakened.

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #334 on: 02 April, 2011, 04:30:14 pm »
this nice concise thread
Indeed. 23 pages and there's only 20 weeks to go. Plenty of time to get to the point!

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #335 on: 02 May, 2011, 06:06:47 pm »
rumages in cupboard
finds nice orange thingy with 2 stripes of wotsit all the way round
checks label
EN471 compliant
job done
(bought umpty years ago in Lidl, one size is far-too-big-for-arabella.  so far icba to take it in, in any case that'll mean no label for inspectors to view ...

so ther's your excuse - of course it had a compliance label but I had to take in the sides etc. (bien sûr que ce gilet conforme au norme EN471, mais il était un peu large donc je l'ai réduit de largeur)
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #336 on: 02 May, 2011, 08:24:11 pm »
If you reduce the size or make other alterations it's no longer compliant, unfortunately (even if you preserve the label).  ::-)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #337 on: 02 May, 2011, 10:58:05 pm »
If you reduce the size or make other alterations it's no longer compliant, unfortunately (even if you preserve the label).  ::-)

Yebbut if your sewing's neat enough, they'll never notice!

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #338 on: 02 May, 2011, 11:00:23 pm »
The perfect excust to go on not getting around to doing anything.

Seems a bit unfair on those suffering from one-size-is-far-too-big/small-for-me though.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #339 on: 30 May, 2011, 06:50:48 pm »
<..where was that thread about vests?..>

went to my local decathlon today, saw some small hi-vis vests, tried one on - fits perfectly (my chest is 95cm)! well, it says "kid vest" on the packaging, i suppose it's for "larger" kids. the vest is short, so doesn't restrict access to rear jersey pockets. £3.99 - deal done.

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #340 on: 03 June, 2011, 08:14:42 pm »
i see that only the thread about qualifying rides has had more veiws than this one so after next  weekend, when pretty much all the qualifiers will have been done, I expect - nay, hope - that this thread will once again begin to receive the attention it truly deserves.  :demon:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #341 on: 03 June, 2011, 08:19:47 pm »
<..where was that thread about vests?..>

went to my local decathlon today, saw some small hi-vis vests, tried one on - fits perfectly (my chest is 95cm)! well, it says "kid vest" on the packaging, i suppose it's for "larger" kids. the vest is short, so doesn't restrict access to rear jersey pockets. £3.99 - deal done.
that sounds very promising (mainly for the pocket access, that is).

Could you describe the thing? Mesh, velcro, sweaty-looking? Have you test-ridden it yet?
(I'm quite a way from a Decathlon, so any info is appreciated).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #342 on: 03 June, 2011, 10:29:53 pm »
I haven't yet ridden with mine, may be I should use on the 600.
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #343 on: 03 June, 2011, 10:32:34 pm »
I really don't wanna be high vis.  :sick:
I think I will worry about this on the road to Paris and not before then!

« Reply #344 on: 04 June, 2011, 04:01:07 pm »
i see that only the thread about qualifying rides has had more veiws than this one so after next  weekend, when pretty much all the qualifiers will have been done, I expect - nay, hope - that this thread will once again begin to receive the attention it truly deserves.  :demon:

I had been wondering what I should do now I have qualified - I see a few hours (days?) pondering the treasure trove of wisdom that this thread contains is a necessary prerequisite to my first PBP.
What other areas of vital importance might I have overlooked?!

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #345 on: 04 June, 2011, 04:18:11 pm »
that sounds very promising (mainly for the pocket access, that is).

Could you describe the thing? Mesh, velcro, sweaty-looking? Have you test-ridden it yet?
(I'm quite a way from a Decathlon, so any info is appreciated).

it's very similar design to what builders wear, only smaller and with horizontal velcro for adjustability. there are two versions - packaging with red stripe and blue. red is a softer fabric, blue - stiffer, springy. i liked the softer one better. there are two reflective bands around, no vertical. the label with en1150 is present, size on the label is xs, made by oppenhejm-jansson.com. folds small and weighs 77g (just weighed ;D). i prefer this to a tabbard style as i wouldn't need to remove helmet to put in on/off. imo it would fit someone with a chest size of 90-97cm, but better try before buying.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #346 on: 04 June, 2011, 04:22:16 pm »
What other areas of vital importance might I have overlooked?!
A quick review suggests these are the neglected gems:

PBP 2011 - Coiffeurs

PBP Finish to Isle Of Wight

PBP - Interview with Jennifer Wise in Paris

PBP - valve caps

PBP on drugs

And of course
So, how boring is PBP ?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

simonp

« Reply #347 on: 04 June, 2011, 04:47:47 pm »
Go to France. Ride your bike for 1227km.

If you have overlooked the 27km then don't worry it's only 2h2m you lose through BRM rules out of the 90. If you do the 80h start then you only use 1h48 so maybe that's better.  ???

rob

« Reply #348 on: 05 June, 2011, 09:19:17 am »
Yay.

The Ikea one I picked up for 2 quid years ago is EN471 compliant.

Another less thing to worry about.    Just need to ride 600k next weekend.

Rob

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #349 on: 10 June, 2011, 04:36:09 pm »
Lucky me.  I do Bikeability with my County Council and they 'loan' me EN471 Reflectives to issue to the kids and me. So I can choose vest or 3/4 sleeves (with pockets) from my 'work' kit.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.