Author Topic: PBP - Reflective vests?  (Read 99303 times)

AndyH

Re: PBP - Reflective vests?
« Reply #350 on: 11 June, 2011, 10:02:09 am »
After all the worry of the hi vis, that I thought would go away after I bought a Hennesey Hi-viz TM, I couldn't resist buying the official one  ::-). Sucker.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #351 on: 12 June, 2011, 04:17:53 pm »
After all the worry of the hi vis, that I thought would go away after I bought a Hennesey Hi-viz TM, I couldn't resist buying the official one  ::-). Sucker.

That Official Hi-Viz really looks smart. I am going for one; better than my floppy fits; it really looks like a super Gilet.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

Andrew

« Reply #352 on: 12 June, 2011, 07:16:15 pm »
it really looks like a super Gilet.

It is a super gilet, a very well thought out design and robust construction. It's made by L2S and I have one, though obviously without the PBP branding.

In all seriousness, you may want to bring your floppy fit one too. The L2S gilet is quite a heavy weight material and some MAY find it too warm, depending on how balmy the nights are or, conversely, if it rains and you need a waterproof too. I didn't wear mine on both my 400 and 600, opting for my doctored-fit ex motorcycle one instead simply because it was lighter and airier.

Not suggesting you cart both around with you on PBP but give yourself the option of deciding between the two once you've seen it.

Simonb

« Reply #353 on: 12 June, 2011, 07:18:49 pm »
[...] depending on how barmy the nights are [...]

Barmy? They're totally insane.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #354 on: 12 June, 2011, 07:43:24 pm »
it really looks like a super Gilet.

It is a super gilet, a very well thought out design and robust construction. It's made by L2S and I have one, though obviously without the PBP branding.

In all seriousness, you may want to bring your floppy fit one too. The L2S gilet is quite a heavy weight material and some MAY find it too warm, depending on how balmy the nights are or, conversely, if it rains and you need a waterproof too. I didn't wear mine on both my 400 and 600, opting for my doctored-fit ex motorcycle one instead simply because it was lighter and airier.

Not suggesting you cart both around with you on PBP but give yourself the option of deciding between the two once you've seen it.

I shouldn't have any trouble with spares as I am doing a Baxters with coach support.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

« Reply #355 on: 12 June, 2011, 07:52:42 pm »
[...] depending on how barmy the nights are [...]

Barmy? They're totally insane.

Yes.
For 'Barmy', please read: 'torrential'.  :)
Garry Broad

KieronY

• N007
« Reply #356 on: 13 June, 2011, 10:53:04 am »
Having seen the official gilets in the flesh whilst doing my 600km qualifier last weekend I can confirm what Andrew has already said.

They are very well made and tailored with elasticated cuffs and neck. They also have slits cut in the back to allow access to back pockets of jersey. The only downside is perhaps the weight of the material.

Given the quality I was expecting a price of around 30E so I think they are very good value at 20E.

« Reply #357 on: 13 June, 2011, 10:55:52 am »
I've ordered the official one in what I think is the right size.

But as a backup (and because we'll be driving down and therefore need them in the car anyway) I'll be taking a locally sourced mesh one, and make the decision on the day which to actually carry around with me.

« Reply #358 on: 18 June, 2011, 01:08:38 pm »
I just received the Mavic Vision H20 jacket (own pics, not the useless stuff on the Mavic website)
It feels very unbreathing(plastic), so I'm not too sure about it yet. Lucky for me the current weather is great for testing it.

The back has an opening, which will be very useful for uprights... (I ride a recumbent)
But if this saves me from bringing a vest and a jacket, I reckon it's worth it.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

« Reply #359 on: 19 June, 2011, 12:11:31 pm »
Decathlon are doing one now(I checked for next weekend) although oddly enough I can only find it on the UK website. Mind you I think there's a glitch on the French site as it's not showing any gilets at all!

Julia
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #360 on: 19 June, 2011, 02:17:22 pm »
I wonder if the new Rapha ones comply? The blurb seems to suggest they will - Although a merino top + mesh hi-viz seems like a better value option?!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #361 on: 19 June, 2011, 03:28:21 pm »
I wonder if the new Rapha ones comply? The blurb seems to suggest they will - Although a merino top + mesh hi-viz seems like a better value option?!

I thought compliance needed at least 2 x 5cm bands encircling the torso. These don't.

« Reply #362 on: 19 June, 2011, 03:55:42 pm »

I thought compliance needed at least 2 x 5cm bands encircling the torso. These don't.
[/quote]

I didn't think they would pass scrutiny either. This is the bit I wondered about:

"All riders are required to meet strict visibility criteria and the Brevet Jersey has two high-visibility stripes around the chest, one in high-visibility pink and another in a stylish perforated Schoeller fabric."

- The pictures show 2 bands front & back - don't look 5cm wide though. Also not sure that pink counts as night-time hi-viz either!

border-rider

« Reply #363 on: 19 June, 2011, 04:26:44 pm »
I didn't think they would pass scrutiny either.

My guess is that scrutiny at the bike check will consist of:

"Est-ce que cette veste haute visibilité est conforment à la norme EN471 ?"

If it's got the label, it'll be OK.  If not - not.

« Reply #364 on: 19 June, 2011, 05:19:49 pm »
My guess is that scrutiny at the bike check will consist of:
"Est-ce que cette veste haute visibilité est conforment à la norme EN471 ?"
If it's got the label, it'll be OK.  If not - not.

Or EN1150. EN1150 is in the regulations, the PBP-vest is EN1150 too, not EN471.
I think the two 5cm bands are EN471, since my EN1150 jacket has bands of about 2cm.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

« Reply #365 on: 21 June, 2011, 12:01:36 am »
Decathlon are doing one now(I checked for next weekend) although oddly enough I can only find it on the UK website. Mind you I think there's a glitch on the French site as it's not showing any gilets at all!

Julia

I've seen them at my local Decathlon. Quite thin fabric so it should be quite ok.

« Reply #366 on: 23 June, 2011, 02:14:46 pm »
From my quick researches, most internet sellers in UK selling hi viz have EN471 for adults and EN1150 for childrens wear.

I have  an EN471 hung up behind me which looks perfectly adequate, but I do not want to fall foul of bureacracy at the last minute. I have looked on Decathlon and cannot find as others have.
O'LEL what have I done!

Assasin

• It can only get better
« Reply #367 on: 23 June, 2011, 03:20:21 pm »
Get the Stylish PBP version.

It must comply with their own requirements

Good pose value afterwards.

JJ

« Reply #368 on: 23 June, 2011, 03:31:11 pm »
+1, but I bet no one checks labels.  "Montrez votre chasuble svp.  C'est bon.  Suivant"  Anything plausible will do.

border-rider

« Reply #369 on: 23 June, 2011, 04:00:00 pm »
From my quick researches, most internet sellers in UK selling hi viz have EN471 for adults and EN1150 for childrens wear.

The difference seems to be that 471 is for use at work and 1150 for the public/leisure. Anything that meets 471 automatically meets 1150, but not vice versa

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #370 on: 23 June, 2011, 04:55:25 pm »
+1, but I bet no one checks labels.  "Montrez votre chasuble svp.  C'est bon.  Suivant"  Anything plausible will do.

Might not even check them before the ride. There is wiggle room for sharing them at the bike-check. On the first night riders can be visually inspected en masse, and transgressors picked out for a forcible sale of an official Gilet (+surcharge).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #371 on: 24 June, 2011, 09:00:14 am »
Posted by: mattc

There is wiggle room for sharing them at the bike-check.

I seem to remember in 2003 when there was a full bike check (it was cancellled in 2007 because of the weather) your reflective item was marked by the examiner so that it coukdn't be used by a.n.other.
Why don't you just order the official one, no problems then.

« Reply #372 on: 24 June, 2011, 11:20:34 am »
Good pose value afterwards.

That's why I bought one.  I have no intention of wearing it on PBP!  ;D

« Reply #373 on: 16 July, 2011, 08:38:40 pm »
At night your cycle MUST have white front and red rear lights lit. It MUST also be fitted with a red rear reflector (and amber pedal reflectors, if manufactured after 1/10/85).

From the Highway Code.

Just had to get new pedals but they came with no reflectors, luckily the unfitted ones from the old ones do  :)
When you're too tired to continue you fall off                            

200(7) 300(4) 400(4) 600(3) 1200(1) 1400(1)

border-rider

« Reply #374 on: 21 August, 2011, 09:37:34 am »
...and in the end the check on the reflective vest (for me anyway) amounted to "have something vaguely yellow in your hand" :)