Author Topic: [HAMR] Current thoughts on the record attempt?  (Read 252843 times)

Re: Current thoughts on the record attempt?
« Reply #350 on: 07 September, 2015, 02:11:24 pm »
A well thought out reply Hillbilly - many thanks.
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #351 on: 07 September, 2015, 06:47:19 pm »
Hillbilly what I should have posted was:-
What a crock of sheer brilliance!   (You are a master with your words)
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

« Reply #352 on: 08 September, 2015, 09:08:52 am »
Following on from Roger's resignation as money man, I'm wondering how many others in the support team will feel able to continue for another 8 months, and will there be other "casualties"?

As I write this, I am not entirely clear who actually is actively part of the support team, as there seems to be some kind of omertà in place which restricts the flow of information to us for fear of "aiding the enemy".
The sound of one pannier flapping

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #353 on: 08 September, 2015, 09:28:13 am »
There were several changes in the team early on but Roger is the most recent and highest profile.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #354 on: 08 September, 2015, 09:31:34 am »
Is an open forum the best place to talk about it ?

(click to show/hide)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #355 on: 08 September, 2015, 11:35:51 pm »

(click to show/hide)

Given that most of Steve's financial supporters are probably members of this forum, I think it probably is appropriately discussed here.

« Reply #356 on: 08 September, 2015, 11:46:02 pm »
Following on from Roger's resignation as money man, I'm wondering how many others in the support team will feel able to continue for another 8 months, and will there be other "casualties"?

As I write this, I am not entirely clear who actually is actively part of the support team, as there seems to be some kind of omertà in place which restricts the flow of information to us for fear of "aiding the enemy".

i would imagine that it's Jo's summation of the data that presents the most problems. It's a very handy tool for seeing if you're on target.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #357 on: 08 September, 2015, 11:59:11 pm »
I dont think that most financial support has come from YACF members ( might be wrong )--  if you look at the donor list - there are 700 one off donors and 200 standing order donors --where i think you would be right is that the most passionate supporters are on YACF.

By choice I would have  kept passionate supporters well informed of what is going on -- there were original plans for a regular newsletter ( monthly i think) -- but this has fallen by the wayside as nobody was willing or able to do it.

And so passionate knowledgeable supporters are ill informed (even though  we have a better  understanding of the demands of extreme distances than 99.5% of the population ).

But that is the way that the attempt has been run -- obviously Steve himself does not have the  time to communicate with supporters
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

TimC

« Reply #358 on: 09 September, 2015, 12:07:05 am »
You've already said, Roger, that Steve probably has enough money now to see him through to the end of the concurrent attempt, so I guess the point is moot and the remaining team have no need to consider the feelings and desires of the knowledgeable and passionate supporters, but I think that's a bloody shame. It does kind of feel like our money has been taken without adequate acknowledgement. I wouldn't put any of that on Steve - his job is to ride the bike, and nothing else, and that is an enormous workload. I just don't get the 'knowledge is power, and you're not having it' attitude that seems to have become the culture of the team.

« Reply #359 on: 09 September, 2015, 12:29:32 am »
You've already said, Roger, that Steve probably has enough money now to see him through to the end of the concurrent attempt, so I guess the point is moot and the remaining team have no need to consider the feelings and desires of the knowledgeable and passionate supporters, but I think that's a bloody shame. It does kind of feel like our money has been taken without adequate acknowledgement. I wouldn't put any of that on Steve - his job is to ride the bike, and nothing else, and that is an enormous workload. I just don't get the 'knowledge is power, and you're not having it' attitude that seems to have become the culture of the team.

Well said TimC

:facepalm:

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #360 on: 09 September, 2015, 06:01:03 am »

(click to show/hide)

Given that most of Steve's financial supporters are probably members of this forum, I think it probably is appropriately discussed here.

No it's not and I think you may have misunderstood my reply to LWaB. I wasn't referring to the lack of communication to the YACF supporters by the team during Steve's attempt, or to how the team has been run, but to the changes made in the team during the period just before Steve started and as it involves me it's not for public consumption.

If you want to question all the other stuff, then go ahead, but my involvement in the team and the internal politics at that time doesn't get discussed here.

I would however like to take this opportunity to thank the AUK, YACF and other supporters for their generosity when Mike and I were setting up the register for the hosts.

Martin

« Reply #361 on: 09 September, 2015, 10:19:57 am »
The fact is the only thanks I've received for any of my donations was from FB; so I presume this will now stop (and no I don't think this is an inappropriate place to discuss this, it's not an exclusively yacf nor AUK challenge)

If there's enough in the kitty to keep TG going for another 12 months excellent, and best of luck to the team to keep that money rolling in.

Just remember in terms of a level playing field Kurt is entirely self funded according to the interview he shared on YouTube, there will be no 8 month extension for him.

Go Steve!
Go Kurt!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #362 on: 10 September, 2015, 12:37:16 pm »
To be fair though, Kurt hasn't had his ankle broken by a drunk mopedist.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #363 on: 10 September, 2015, 01:19:34 pm »
Watching with great interest Steve's progress over the last 8 months, I fear that his chance of success whilst staying in the British Isles is fairly low.

I am not an audax rider (yet) and I don't pretend to know how someone can ride these distances day in, day out. When Steve didn't ride with (fast) pacers during the summer, he was always going to drop way behind Tommy Godwin. Now, he seems to be following a more 'Kurt-like' approach of days around the 220 mile point, which seems sensible. But... this is going to be really tough to keep up as daylight fades and temperatures drop.

What he needs is a mate with a time-share in Calpe, and cheap flights to Alicante and Novemer to February pedalling up and down the Spanish coast.

Chris S

« Reply #364 on: 10 September, 2015, 01:41:10 pm »
It has been said before, but it's worth saying over and over. Kurt has Alicia, right there - all day, every day. Kurt doesn't need to do anything except ride bikes (which he does really well); Alicia is always there with food, PR, films, and MTFU kicks out of the RV's door.

That's a team with success written all over it, right there.

« Reply #365 on: 10 September, 2015, 01:48:07 pm »
When Steve didn't ride with (fast) pacers during the summer, he was always going to drop way behind Tommy Godwin.

The current expert in Tommy Godwin says Tommy didn't have any pacers either.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #366 on: 10 September, 2015, 03:09:16 pm »
It has been said before, but it's worth saying over and over. Kurt has Alicia, right there - all day, every day. Kurt doesn't need to do anything except ride bikes (which he does really well); Alicia is always there with food, PR, films, and MTFU kicks out of the RV's door.

That's a team with success written all over it, right there.
Yup.

Quite a high-risk strategy though - it's a lot of strain to put on a relationship. If Alicia just decides to drive herself to California one day, Kurt would not be in a good situation. Fortunately this hasn't happened yet  :thumbsup:

Steve went very low-risk; he had plans in place to do everything himself if needed. Ride from home every day. Fix his own bikes. Look after himself - just as he did in his last record-breaking year.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

TimC

« Reply #367 on: 10 September, 2015, 05:11:33 pm »

(click to show/hide)

No it's not and I think you may have misunderstood my reply to LWaB. I wasn't referring to the lack of communication to the YACF supporters by the team during Steve's attempt, or to how the team has been run, but to the changes made in the team during the period just before Steve started and as it involves me it's not for public consumption.

If you want to question all the other stuff, then go ahead, but my involvement in the team and the internal politics at that time doesn't get discussed here.

I would however like to take this opportunity to thank the AUK, YACF and other supporters for their generosity when Mike and I were setting up the register for the hosts.

Ah - sorry, AM, I had no idea about any of that, so obviously that's not what I was on about.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #368 on: 10 September, 2015, 06:21:43 pm »
That's OK TimC, you weren't to know.

Obviously that shouldn't stop you airing your opinion about all the other stuff though.

Cheers AM.

« Reply #369 on: 13 September, 2015, 07:49:45 am »
with Steve having covered 7100 miles on the concurrent attempt he needs only average 207 miles a day and he could well beat 75065. Let's all hope he survives the rigors of Winter and tiredness.

his mileage this year is some 42833 miles.  With an average of 206 a day he will do around another 21942 which should see him achieve 64775 by the end of December.  I believe he will set a record for his age group.

well done Steve and keep going.
 :thumbsup:

hillbilly

« Reply #370 on: 13 September, 2015, 08:29:07 am »
It's noticeable that there is less buzz now. I wonder if it is because whilst people respect what is being attempted, it has a more quixotic feel about it.

red marley

« Reply #371 on: 13 September, 2015, 08:37:07 am »
Arry-R, not sure the arithmetic there is quite right. Steve has 110 days left in 2015. 206 mpd for the remaining time would leave him with around 65,500 for the year. Although to have any chance of eventually beating Kurt's likely total he'd need to be doing more than that this year.

A useful minimum target for his 2015 total would be Bernard Bennett's 1939 distance of 65,127 miles. That would likely give Steve a podium position behind Tommy's and Kurt's totals.

Steve has stated he might expect some of his longest distance days to be ridden this autumn into winter. There is considerable risk from the weather though, especially unfavourable winds. I imagine the network of places to stay with volunteers would be helpful in that respect so he is not forced to make every ride a MK-based loop.

I'm not sure where the capacity for longer distances is likely to be. Looking at his daily movement patterns, he has already managed to shrink his stopped time to one lunch stop and a short teatime stop. Perhaps lengthening his day by 30 minutes might do it, but I know he is acutely aware that he can't accumulate fatigue through loss of sleep. His daily average moving speed seems to be hovering between 15.5-16.5 mph which is about as fast as it has been during the whole challenge and I don't see much scope to improve that given that he must be as fit now as he will ever be.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #372 on: 13 September, 2015, 08:48:13 am »
The easiest option is for Steve to shorten his lunch stop. That would require eating on the bike, which might need somebody handing him up a musette of food (including a thermos/ bidon of hot soup during winter?).
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #373 on: 13 September, 2015, 11:00:50 am »
I'm going to go out and say it:

There just is not enough publicity and feedback to the supporters and sponsors about Steve, his daily progress/feelings/comments and what's going on.  In our modern society we have 24/7 news and we are used to over-analysis of 'the famouses'. I'm glad there is enough money in the kitty to sustain Steve to do what he has always wanted and attempt to break the Godwin record, but I suspect there will be a good number of people who do not continue their SOs and even some who may pull theirs early. 

When there are charities asking for money to feed starving children, keep the air ambulances in flight, save the donkeys etc etc etc, it may become difficult to support a cause that is starting to look one that is severely lacking support.  This is not necessarily my opinion, but it is how it is beginning to appear from the outside world. 

If I was Raleigh, Hope or one of the other big sponsors who had provided kit, I would be also rather mortified by the lack of publicity. Of course they may be perfectly happy with the situation, who knows (well indeed, who does know, as we have heard nothing). The pro riders I know all have to work exceptionally hard not just looking after their fitness and health, but in a 'political' manner to ensure that their sponsors get the thanks they deserve by coverage through social media.  That's the nature of people giving you stuff/money for free and it's the way the world works. 

Kurt and Alicia have this dialled, with the regular updates and it makes the supporters 'feel part' of their attempt.  A bit like the Olympics - it's rarely the performances that get people supporting, it's the post run interviews, the pre-race 'look at their training day' documentaries, the reminders of career up and downs that allow people to feel empathy with their cause.

Lets not forget, the harsh reality is, the vast majority of people in this world don't have the luxury of other people giving them money so they can follow their dream and become top level athletes/record breakers/sponsored professionals.  Most people have to grind out a day to day existence until the day they die.  Even in the UK, with our disposable incomes, growing middle class, luxury lifestyles, there are still starving children and families living in poverty through lack of education/poor parenting/bad luck/drug addiction.

If you are going to have the luxury of following a dream on other people's funding in the modern world, it is an unwritten rule that news and feedback is part of the deal and Steve's team should deal with this.  Or maybe Steve should get himself a new team.
Does not play well with others

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #374 on: 13 September, 2015, 12:58:32 pm »
The funding is tiny, the sponsors are donating very little relatively. Three bikes? That's a drip in a blip in the ocean for the marketing budget of a decent company.
Besides, the story here is completing the target, not the grinding out of every mile.
It is simpler than it looks.