Author Topic: Captain Tom  (Read 15519 times)

Re: Captain Tom
« Reply #50 on: 18 April, 2020, 05:22:38 am »
I see that the Collosal Bell End cornered Hancock about MP's following the NZ line and taking a pay cut.

As you'd expect, Hancock came out of it looking like the miserable, tight, uncaring , greedy bastard that I consider him and his tory colleagues to be.

For once, well done Morgan.

When I posted this

https://www.change.org/p/boris-johnson-a-rejection-of-the-mp-s-10000-corona-virus-working-from-home-allowance?use_react=false

The reaction seemed to be that our 'ardwerkin' representatives needed more more money rather than less.
Oh well..
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #51 on: 18 April, 2020, 10:40:40 am »
I think there is a difference between the MP salary and the support to provide equipment for their support staff to WFH.

perhaps we should just furlough parliament?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #52 on: 18 April, 2020, 01:29:51 pm »
I think there is a difference between the MP salary and the support to provide equipment for their support staff to WFH.

Isn't that called a dictatorship?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #53 on: 18 April, 2020, 03:39:01 pm »

Isn't that called a dictatorship?

J
Not really. It happens every summer and at Christmas, Easter and so on.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #54 on: 30 April, 2020, 06:07:09 am »
Then leapfrog him to Honorary Colonel, he can have one of Harry's

Ahem, news this morning reports a birthday promotion.

Colonel Tom it is :thumbsup:
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #55 on: 30 April, 2020, 09:49:21 am »
Wasn't Colonel Tom Elvis Presley's manager?

Back to reality (reality TV more like), it must be the dream autumn of one's life to raise so much money for charity, have a no. 1 single, get a promotion and 140,000 birthday cards, have an RAF fly-by, hava a train names after him and, I hear, there are rumours of an OBE or similar. I am so pleased for him.

I'm going to put my curmudgeons hat on,

It all feels rather like a distraction, lets face it there are loads of people who have volunteered for years supported charity's, the country, etc that never receive any recognition and then this chap comes along a walks up and down his garden and raises millions because well I don't know, and suddenly gets a fly past, military honours, public recognition, and now possibly a gong.

I am a cynic, and wear my cynics badge with pride but we can move on now the things done, leave the old boy alone or there'll be a petition to make him pm soon.

And the number 1 single is bloody awful which reminds why I stopped paying any attention to charts years ago, it's just trying to squeeze as much out of something folks have found to latch onto as possible.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

Davef

« Reply #56 on: 30 April, 2020, 09:54:44 am »

These weren’t for me then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #57 on: 30 April, 2020, 09:55:55 am »

ian

« Reply #58 on: 30 April, 2020, 10:28:57 am »

Back to reality (reality TV more like), it must be the dream autumn of one's life to raise so much money for charity, have a no. 1 single, get a promotion and 140,000 birthday cards, have an RAF fly-by, hava a train names after him and, I hear, there are rumours of an OBE or similar. I am so pleased for him.

It all feels rather like a distraction, lets face it there are loads of people who have volunteered for years supported charity's, the country, etc that never receive any recognition and then this chap comes along a walks up and down his garden and raises millions because well I don't know, and suddenly gets a fly past, military honours, public recognition, and now possibly a gong.

I am a cynic, and wear my cynics badge with pride but we can move on now the things done, leave the old boy alone or there'll be a petition to make him pm soon.

And the number 1 single is bloody awful which reminds why I stopped paying any attention to charts years ago, it's just trying to squeeze as much out of something folks have found to latch onto as possible.

This. It's great for him, I'm sure. But it's a distraction and he's being used. The cheering and clapping sessions, the occasional silences.

All distractions.

« Reply #59 on: 30 April, 2020, 10:33:21 am »
I'd argue that distraction is truly essential for everyone at the moment.

« Reply #60 on: 30 April, 2020, 10:36:00 am »

Could he do any worse than the current incumbent ?
Rust never sleeps

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #61 on: 30 April, 2020, 10:59:46 am »

A sloth on mogodon would be more productive than the current incumbent.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #62 on: 30 April, 2020, 11:12:06 am »

A sloth on mogodon would be more productive than the current incumbent.

Do sloths father 10+ kids randomly?
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #63 on: 30 April, 2020, 11:14:30 am »
I'd argue that distraction is truly essential for everyone at the moment.

Not really, I think we should be holding the government to account.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #64 on: 30 April, 2020, 11:28:19 am »
the two are not mutually exclusive in my view
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

« Reply #65 on: 30 April, 2020, 12:05:34 pm »
In theory no, but in practice they're hiding behind this. It's useful to them. The news on the radio this morning has featured two leading items. Captain Tom and It's Thursday So Get Ready to Clap.

« Reply #66 on: 30 April, 2020, 12:21:28 pm »
I am glad someone else is of similar mind.  I just do not see what is so great about this.  Using a wheeled walking frame an old man did the exercises prescribed for him by the NHS physiotherapist.  If this was the most exercise he has done for a long  time then it will have done him a world of good.  If he did it regularly then what was so special about it?

This is why I do not sponsor people to do things which they enjoy or which are good for them.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #67 on: 30 April, 2020, 12:47:50 pm »

Yes and no.  "Colonel" Tom Parker wasn't really a colonel.  And, because he was born Andreas Cornelis van Kuijk, he wasn't really a Tom either.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #68 on: 04 May, 2020, 09:15:32 am »
Just as a contrast, have you heard of this, anywhere on mainstream media? I hadn't https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20200501-100-year-old-londoner-walks-100-laps-to-help-refugees-this-ramadan

Davef

« Reply #69 on: 04 May, 2020, 09:34:06 am »
The second person to run a four minute mile didn’t get much publicity either.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #70 on: 04 May, 2020, 09:36:14 am »
Just as a contrast, have you heard of this, anywhere on mainstream media? I hadn't https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20200501-100-year-old-londoner-walks-100-laps-to-help-refugees-this-ramadan
I think there are a few centurions who have jumped on the bandwagon since Colonel Tom started his public walking and I, sure I’ve not heard of them all. However i suspect that I’ve not heard of this chap for the reason you may  be alluding to as much as for any other reason.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #71 on: 04 May, 2020, 09:47:12 am »
Yes, I'm struck by the fact that not even local news appears to have picked up on this, based on a Google search of his name.

Davef

« Reply #72 on: 04 May, 2020, 09:53:35 am »
That said he has raised £6000 in less time than capt tom raised his first £1000.

« Reply #73 on: 04 May, 2020, 10:35:17 am »

In theory no, but in practice they're hiding behind this. It's useful to them. The news on the radio this morning has featured two leading items. Captain Tom and It's Thursday So Get Ready to Clap.
I've been advised to stay in for 12 weeks (I'm complying). I've had two hips and a new knee from the NHS that I'm grateful for (after all, I've been paying national insurance contributions and income tax since July 1979), but I'm waning on the outpouring of gratitude every Thursday. I have a similar feeling* to 4th year primary school when Grant Watson didn’t get picked for Manchester Boys South.

*Back in September 1972, each primary school in South Manchester were invited to send two pupils for trials for South Manchester Boys under-11 football team (I was 3rd choice, so wasn’t chosen). Of the two boys who were nominated (coincidently both from my class) Grant Watson didn’t make the cut. When he came back from the trial to be told that he wasn’t picked, he started to cry. Cue the rest of the class following suit. I remember thinking, “you gave it your best, get over it, I’m not going to start bawling and wailing”. 😊

Ok, not the same, but you get the sentiment.

ian

« Reply #74 on: 04 May, 2020, 10:59:05 am »
I think there are a few centurions who have jumped on the bandwagon since Colonel Tom started his public walking and I, sure I’ve not heard of them all. However i suspect that I’ve not heard of this chap for the reason you may  be alluding to as much as for any other reason.

At the current rate, this will kill more really old people than Covid-19.