Author Topic: Denmead 300k: 26th April  (Read 16445 times)

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
Re: Denmead 300k: 26th April
« Reply #50 on: 21 April, 2008, 03:29:32 pm »
Actually, the first 100k is fast and as long as there is no flippin' headwind, the stretch around to Blandford should be quick too.

Dunno about the leg back to Denmead from Salisbury.

Hey, with any luck, we may even make last orders at the Fox and Hounds  :P

H

Martin

« Reply #51 on: 21 April, 2008, 03:31:56 pm »

PBP 2011 is the reason I was out this morning for 3 hours in the cold and rain.  If I manage to complete PBP I doubt if I'll break down in tears of joy, rather I'll think "Thank feck that's crossed off my list".  I can't imagine I'll do PBP twice or even do an SR again once I don't need to as a qualifier for something.

that's exactly how I feel at the moment; the BCM is a great ride but I can't ever see myself doing it again.

If there was a nice well attended 1000 (the longest distance I've managed unscathed so far) maybe...

LEE

« Reply #52 on: 21 April, 2008, 03:45:40 pm »
Metcheck is saying, and this is too good to be true:

1) Weak Southerlies to lunchtime
2) Stronger Southerlies in the afternoon (to blow us to Blandford)
3) Westerlies in the evening (to blow us back to Denmead)

Are we taking bets on this actually happening?

Hummers

« Reply #53 on: 21 April, 2008, 05:08:18 pm »
Metcheck is saying, and this is too good to be true:

1) Weak Southerlies to lunchtime
2) Stronger Southerlies in the afternoon (to blow us to Blandford)
3) Westerlies in the evening (to blow us back to Denmead)
4) The Fox & Hounds have sucessfully applied for an extension to 2am
5) Micks Burger Van are opening a satellite outside the Coop in Denmead
6) All Randonneurs completing the event will receive a naked massage from Cameron Diaz/Paul Whitehead
7) For those looking for 'afters' cocktails will be served until sunrise in the Nest's outdoor heated spa

Are we taking bets on this actually happening?

I think all of that is likely.

H

« Reply #54 on: 21 April, 2008, 06:18:25 pm »
L @ TJ (A36)                               251.3
1st exit @ RAB into OWER Services      254.2       
CONTROL in Ower services               254.2
Opens: 15.30            Closes: 23.59

STAGE 6...51 6.8KM   
1st exit @ RAB (SP ROMSEY)                    254.5
2nd exit @ RAB (SP Winchester)              259.3
1st exit @ RAB (SP Winchester             259.7
2nd exit @ RAB (SP Winchester)            259.9
SO @ RAB                     260.2
R @ X  (SP Otterbourne)                       268.8
1st L and Imm. L to ARRIVEÉ at Scampi's House  261km

Excellent!
Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...

Hummers

« Reply #55 on: 21 April, 2008, 06:26:45 pm »

STAGE 6...51 6.8KM   

Excellent!

Aye up.

Looks like that illusive late night tea stop is sorted chaps.  :P

H

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #56 on: 22 April, 2008, 02:29:35 pm »

STAGE 6...51 6.8KM   

Excellent!

Aye up.

Looks like that illusive late night tea stop is sorted chaps.  :P

H

I hope you will be providing suitable signage to our additional late night tea stop? I suspect you will be back way before me ;)
Owner of a languishing Langster

LEE

« Reply #57 on: 22 April, 2008, 02:49:40 pm »

STAGE 6...51 6.8KM   

Excellent!

Scampi, can you position your TV to face out of the window and put Match of the Day on please?  also a flask of coffee on the doorstep to drink whilst watching it.

Thanks awfully.

LEE

« Reply #58 on: 24 April, 2008, 05:57:29 pm »
Typical.  I just bought a Montane Featherlite Velo jacket for the rain during the final couple of hours and it's not going to rain anymore.

Please send your thanks (for the improved weather) to me attached to a fiver.

Treewheeler

« Reply #59 on: 24 April, 2008, 07:18:42 pm »

STAGE 6...51 6.8KM   

Excellent!

Why... ? are you planning on packing.../

Hummers

« Reply #60 on: 25 April, 2008, 09:02:37 am »

STAGE 6...51 6.8KM   

Excellent!

Why... ? are you planning on packing.../

Oi, you leave young Scampi alone.  >:(

He's making our double egg ham and chips.  :P

H

frere yacker

« Reply #61 on: 25 April, 2008, 12:29:55 pm »
Remember to pack some sun cream and loose change for an ice lolly  8)

LEE

« Reply #62 on: 25 April, 2008, 01:24:33 pm »
Remember to pack some sun cream and loose change for an ice lolly  8)

Good point(s).  Hard to believe we are now talking about sun cream.  Seems like years since I used it.

I can't believe how jammy we are with the weather.  If the wind wasn't so strong it would be absolutely perfect conditions. Good job as I need as much in my favour as possible.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
« Reply #63 on: 25 April, 2008, 01:34:34 pm »
Looking forward to this now - although I'm not expecting to need ice lollies. I came very close to deciding on a DNS this morning as I have had this cold hovering in the background all this week - and all the family have had it.

Thankfully it now appears to be fading so I should be 100% for tomorrow AM. Odds are I will be as sick as a dog by Monday though ;)

« Reply #64 on: 25 April, 2008, 01:50:39 pm »
...are you planning on packing.../

No ... but as a result my ride will be starting (and ending) slightly earlier than yours, and also without the sheer pleasure of driving up and down the M27 or turning it into a 400km sufferathon.

I really couldn't care less about the actual brevet ... I'm just looking forward to a good ride.

See you all there!

Hummers

« Reply #65 on: 25 April, 2008, 08:23:16 pm »
I really couldn't care less about the actual brevet ... I'm just looking forward to a good ride.

I tried this line on Mrs H but had quite unexpected results.

H

Hummers

« Reply #66 on: 26 April, 2008, 09:09:10 pm »
Oh well. My aunty Gladys used to say the she had had excellent sufficiency and any more would be superfluity

I got to Salisbury (224k) in good time but felt pretty wiped out and exhausted.

The heat, a lack of miles of over the last 7 weeks and one too many Russian beers last night left me pretty dehydrated.

I decided that it had been a lovely day but if I 'pushed through', it would become a pain fest.

Mr Sponer suggested that I'd probably get on my bike and feel OK. I got on my bike and didn't feel OK at all. My knees really hurt and so did my arse.

I am 45 years old and if I've learnt anything it's that if something isn't fun and you don't have to do it, don't do it.

Good to see Lee and Dave going strong on their first 300k.

I have to go and have a bath now and a Russian beer.

Chtob vse byli zdorovy  :thumbsup:

H

urban_biker

« Reply #67 on: 26 April, 2008, 11:44:57 pm »
Oh well. My aunty Gladys used to say the she had had excellent sufficiency and any more would be superfluity

I got to Salisbury (224k) in good time but felt pretty wiped out and exhausted.

The heat, a lack of miles of over the last 7 weeks and one too many Russian beers last night left me pretty dehydrated.

I decided that it had been a lovely day but if I 'pushed through', it would become a pain fest.

Mr Sponer suggested that I'd probably get on my bike and feel OK. I got on my bike and didn't feel OK at all. My knees really hurt and so did my arse.

I am 45 years old and if I've learnt anything it's that if something isn't fun and you don't have to do it, don't do it.

Good to see Lee and Dave going strong on their first 300k.

I have to go and have a bath now and a Russian beer.

Chtob vse byli zdorovy  :thumbsup:

H

Thanks Mr H. Sounds like you made the right decision, well apart for the Russian beer last night ;)

To sum it up - great route, superb weather and superb company all the way around. Arrived at Pilbeam towers at 10:59 feeling pretty strong.

First 300k probably shouldn't be that much fun but this one was.

Right - now I'm going to gulp down this wine and turn in.

Night all!

Cheers,

Dave

« Reply #68 on: 27 April, 2008, 12:54:47 am »
Just got in from this.

It was a lovely day (started topping up my deeply silly cyclists tan), a good route and good company courtesy of Mr Spooner, Hummers, Lee and UrbanBiker.
I arrived back a few minutes after Lee and UrbanBiker - which I blame on making the ride a stuff-your-face fest :-) Jacket potato overlooking the Solent, Cottage Pie in Blandford, a sandwich picnic sitting on the floor outside Tescos and more food at the services.
I'm quite happy with the time at a tad over 16 hours for a first 300, especially as I was feeling pretty good at the end (although with a definite slowing down on the hills). My new Audax MK3 frame performed well (holding the wheels and saddle where they should be), I'd been a bit worried about that as I've not done more than 70k in a day on it.

Hummers

« Reply #69 on: 27 April, 2008, 05:04:32 am »
Well done chaps!  :thumbsup:

H

« Reply #70 on: 27 April, 2008, 10:10:12 am »
Yep as others have said, you couldn't fault the weather. It was perfect - sunny all day and not too hot.

As mentioned ^^^ my ride started at Romsey at (whisper it) 5am so I had a v.quiet ride to Demead via the Morestead Road, just the Owl and the Pussycat for company (plus a hedgehog).

We were waved off by Dave P. somewhat early as per usual so we were off at 6.45 rather than 7 (explains why I didn't see Hummers).

Set off riding at a steady pace with Barry and we remarked that it wouldn't be long before Tuggo et al would be along. Sure enough, a volley of abuse from behind announced their arrival  :) and we were rolling nicely along through Micheldever, taking the obvious short cut to the Bear & Ragged Staff.

Goodbye to Tuggo et al here as Barry stopped to tighten a loose routeholder bracket. We had a pretty fast ride over the Forest and decided to give the Ancient Highway a miss and use the main road instead (the "rough road" description on the routesheet really is stretching the definition of "road"...). The track also caught out frere yacker who apparently took a tumble at one point.

We arrived at Milford as the others were leaving and a large rock cake went down nicely here. The next bit is a bit too busy for my liking and it was a relief to get the Ringwood/Ashley Heath bit done with and be off in the lanes again.

The temperature was hotting up and a stop at the pub in Shapwick was called for. The lane from here to Blandford really was unbelievably gorgeous, it was almost a shame to reach Blandford but the control (hello to Danu/Yorkie/Tuggo as they left) was great. We must have looked pretty done in as the neighbouring table donated half their chips to us to fuel us onward.

The ride back across the lowland Cranborne Chase was great, as predicted by LEE last week the wind did seem to change during the day and get behind us to push us home. The lane from Downton was hard work and Salisbury couldn't come soon enough. The stop seemed to do me some good and I picked up for the last bit back to Romsey. The inclusion of Dean Hill after ~240km (280 for me) was a bit mean I thought. Barry (on fixed) was reduced to zig-zagging his way up it but made it OK). Glad to reach the top but the descent past bright yellow fields of oil seed rape made up for it.

The sunny A27 was a blast and it was on to Ower services. Sitting on bags on charcoal on a garage forecourt swigging orange juice shouldn't have felt as good as it did...

The last bit for me, only 7km, up the hill and a swoop down to Romsey. Farewell to Barry as he left for the last bit back to Denmead, and I turned off to finish at my front door, 185 miles so a smidgin under 300km I guess.

As I type, we have had rain, thunder and lightning here this morning so I guess we were pretty lucky.

Hummers

« Reply #71 on: 27 April, 2008, 10:26:27 am »
Good RR Scampi and I'm glad I wasn't the only one who found the road from Downtown tough going.

I didn't leave The Nests until *ahem* about 7:30 so it is no surprise we missed each other.

H

frere yacker

« Reply #72 on: 27 April, 2008, 11:46:53 am »
Aha, I now know Scampi's fizzog.

Not much to add to what others have said.  An adequate 300, first 150km perfect for fixed (would have ideally had a bigger gear) with the second 150km not as pretty but more interesting from a cycling aspect.  Only one nasty climb on the whole ride, over a ridge on the stage to Ower, but plenty of undulations around Salisbury.

Truth be told, I had an off day in the saddle - found the warm weather challenging and like the illustrious Mr Hummers found myself feeling a bit ropy by Salisbury due to not taking on board enough fluid.  I found myself wishing for a burst from the heavens come 4pm, just to open up my sweat clogged pores.  Result was I came in about an hour and a half down on what I should have been capable of, inshahallah.

I woke up the morning with the arms, legs and face of a boiled lobster.  Cycling tanlines are developing nicely.

border-rider

« Reply #73 on: 27 April, 2008, 01:54:17 pm »
  Only one nasty climb on the whole ride, over a ridge on the stage to Ower

Marshall's Leap.  Get him to tell the tale :)

Result was I came in about an hour and a half down on what I should have been capable of, inshahallah.

I've oft found this a slowish 300 - even though it shouldn't be.  I think there's a propensity to dawdle in places, and there are indeed a few rolling sections.

Mr Tuggo and I did it as a perm last year and just snuck back at dusk after a lot of buggering about and a bit of going wrong.

LEE

« Reply #74 on: 27 April, 2008, 03:33:59 pm »
Talk about being lucky with the weather, that was almost perfect. 

The only downside to the ride was, as usual, the final stretch from Otterbourne Denmead (Bishops Wlatham, Wickham etc).  Nothing wrong with it as such, I just know the road too well, find it boring and always 5 times longer than I remember.

Other than that I felt pretty good the whole way around.  I had a mild panic around 170k when I went from "I wouldn't mind a sandwich" to "Oh my god I'm starving and about to bonk" in the space of about 5k.  I had to rely on UrbanBiker towing me to a Co-op supermarket so I could mainline 1litre of Smoothie in 30 seconds. Once that kicked-in I felt fine for the rest of the ride (I'm forever telling people to eat before they feel hungry so it's annoying to fall into the same trap).

Best bits
- Seafront at Milford.  Bowl of chips and a cuppa sat outside in the sun. 
- Familiar faces.  Hummers, MattH, UrbanBiker, John Spooner, Richard Wareham
- Meeting new faces (will remember your names in time)
- Realising early on that I felt strong and was going to get my 300k medal without too much of a struggle.
- Cycling from a sunny early morning into a dark late evening in one go.  What a strange and impressive thing to do.

I always have a problem remembering which bit of road was which but I remember nice bits of road/lane for most of the ride.

Worst Bits
- Cycling past so many country pubs on a Sunny day
- Otterbourne to Denmead (Just my own mental problem, so near and yet so far)
- The nearly bonking part, surely the worst feeling you can have when cycling.

So, sunny and lots of nice lanes (That's all I remember and why I am unlikely to ever have a ride report published)