Author Topic: West Midlands finally gets a bike hire scheme  (Read 6912 times)

Re: West Midlands finally gets a bike hire scheme
« Reply #25 on: 21 May, 2021, 07:48:07 am »
My nearest dock is the other end of Lea Rd.
By the time I have walked to there I am half way to the centre so I just keep walking.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #26 on: 21 May, 2021, 09:31:26 am »
Seems I was wrong to say the docks are mostly within the ring rd in Wolverhampton:
https://www.wmcyclehire.co.uk/stations/
I think your point is a good one, if you've had to walk (or cycle as I would probably) to get to your nearest docking station, why would you then transfer to a hire bike which might not be as good for carrying baggage.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27 on: 21 May, 2021, 12:52:33 pm »
Seems I was wrong to say the docks are mostly within the ring rd in Wolverhampton:
I think your point is a good one, if you've had to walk (or cycle as I would probably) to get to your nearest docking station, why would you then transfer to a hire bike which might not be as good for carrying baggage.

Transferring from bike to hire bike seems unlikely, unless you're reviewing the hire bikes.
From walking?  Well, bike is quicker and easier, even if it's only part of the journey.  See also: Buses (maybe not the quicker part).

But ultimately, the utility comes down to the proliferation of bikes and docking stations.

« Reply #28 on: 21 May, 2021, 01:36:39 pm »
The walk from my house to the nearest bike dock between me and town is three quarters of a mile. It is downhill. From the dock it is the same distance to the centre - Queens Square - all uphill. If I stop at my first usual point - Oxfam - it is only half a mile from my nearest dock.
It doesn't make sense paying to use the bike for the uphill stretch.
Diane round the corner cycles to town several times a week to shop on her Pendleton. She isn't going to walk to the dock.
If the docks come further out into the suburbs I can see a case for hiring a bike, but I wonder if they are being kept very close to the centre because that is where the useful bike infrastructure is being built. The car/bike interface outside of Wolverhampton ring road still requires an aggressive taking of space by the cyclist.
I think an expansion outwards would be best but, early days yet, and may be it will work anyway.

« Reply #29 on: 21 May, 2021, 01:40:52 pm »

Looking at that map I think those docking points are on 'good' cycle routes into the city centre

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #30 on: 21 May, 2021, 02:10:55 pm »
If the docks come further out into the suburbs I can see a case for hiring a bike, but I wonder if they are being kept very close to the centre because that is where the useful bike infrastructure is being built.

They're being kept close to the city centre because it's the best way to use a limited number of docks/bikes.  Remember the scheme was downsized from 5000 bikes to 1500.  They can always expand outwards if they prove to be popular (as the Voi scooters have, greatly increasing their utility).

The car/bike interface outside of Wolverhampton ring road still requires an aggressive taking of space by the cyclist.

It really does  :hand:

« Reply #31 on: 21 May, 2021, 03:12:53 pm »
They're being kept close to the city centre because it's the best way to use a limited number of docks/bikes.  Remember the scheme was downsized from 5000 bikes to 1500.  They can always expand outwards if they prove to be popular (as the Voi scooters have, greatly increasing their utility).

Ah, I didn't know that.
It will be good if it does work

« Reply #32 on: 21 May, 2021, 03:45:16 pm »
I, too, would be happy to see it work in Wolverhampton but I think that a potential weakness is that anyone who feels confident and competent to cycle on the roads as they currently are probably already owns their own bike. Members of Wolverhampton's Cycle Forum did come up with counterexamples:

-Need to get to the station for a train journey but don't fancy leaving your own bike parked there overnight
-You live in (rented) accommodation that prohibits the storage of bikes indoors.

There are plans afoot for improvements, but whether those come before the hire company loses patience who knows.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #33 on: 21 May, 2021, 03:48:52 pm »
-Need to get to the station for a train journey but don't fancy leaving your own bike parked there overnight

This is the sort of scenario where I'm most likely to use them.  Indeed, I've used the London hire bikes on several occasions because it's less hassle than bringing my own bike.

The lack of sensible/secure/permitted cycle storage thing is I'm sure a significant factor in the popularity of e-scooters (both hired and privately owned).  They tend to be easier to carry and store than all but the most expensive folding bikes.

Si

« Reply #34 on: 31 July, 2021, 05:21:52 pm »
Have seen quite a few people wobbling around Sutton park on them over the last few weeks.  The wobbling suggests that they are attracting lapsed riders.  Also a fair few being pushed up hills.

Alas, the segregated cycle paths that linked the town centre to suttnn park was taken out before it was properly opened thanks to the media-hungry local councillors.

Also, alas, this hire scheme replaces the free hire scheme that got canned when the Sutton and erdngton leisure centres were changed from community facilities to  businesses.  Main advantage that these have over the old scheme is visibility - you can just grab one out of the stand rather than having to go into the liesure centre and get a member of staff to get one out the store for you.

One step forward, two steps back?