Author Topic: Which GPS bike unit?  (Read 13782 times)

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
Re: Which GPS bike unit?
« Reply #75 on: 03 March, 2013, 09:29:04 am »
Hi

I have copied over osm, openfarts ;-) and velomap. I think I prefer osm but will keep velomap on, as its good for route finding. I was thinking that they might have vastly different looks but I guess they are all just slightly different tweeks of the original.

I do like OS maps but I think its way too expensive for my liking.
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #76 on: 03 March, 2013, 09:37:09 am »
Hi

I have copied over osm, openfarts ;-) and velomap. I think I prefer osm but will keep velomap on, as its good for route finding. I was thinking that they might have vastly different looks but I guess they are all just slightly different tweeks of the original.

I do like OS maps but I think its way too expensive for my liking.

One affordable solution if you would prefer OS maps is to purchase Birdseye https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=86339 for a specific area. This gives an OS map overlay to your installed routing map be it OSM OFM or Velomap. The overlay has no routing capabilities so does not affect the autorouting of your enabled map. The result is a zoomable high quality OS map image.

If buying an Etrex, some models ship with a £20 Birdseye voucher.

« Reply #77 on: 03 March, 2013, 01:29:37 pm »
If I was to get an eTrex 20 - is this mount any good?  http://www.buybits.com/Product/15559/Garmin-Etrex-10-20-30-Locking-Strap-Golf-Trolley-Mount-sku-15559.aspx

If not - which is best regarded?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #78 on: 03 March, 2013, 02:42:28 pm »
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Bike-Mount-Colorado-Oregon/dp/B0012MI7QE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362321690&sr=8-1  Is the official one.  I'm using two of those with an eTrex 30.  It's secure and unlike the older eTrex bike brackets, can be attached to a vertical tube (eg. stem).

« Reply #79 on: 03 March, 2013, 02:56:07 pm »
You can still buy brand new Garmin Edge 705 units on ebay for £188, absolutely incredible value. I use OSM and have never had a problem navigating. From cities to Dartmoor.

« Reply #80 on: 03 March, 2013, 05:41:02 pm »
How do you find the battery life on the 705?

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #81 on: 03 March, 2013, 05:49:44 pm »
The quoted length of 15 hours is about right for a new/decent condition battery- like all rechargeables, it'll go eventually, but replacements are pretty cheap and easy to fit, not long replaced the one in mine. Obviously that will depend on use- cane the backlight, flip between screens a lot, and have turn-by-turn directions on for 200k,  and it'll be rather less. For long runs a USB battery pack of some kind is a good idea (I use ones that take two or three AAs).

« Reply #82 on: 03 March, 2013, 08:30:19 pm »
I used mine on a 200k yesterday in navigation mode and it was on from 7.30am until 6.30pm with still half battery remaining. So, not bad.

« Reply #83 on: 03 March, 2013, 09:09:16 pm »
Is a unit like the eTrex Vista Hcx only for mapping functions or can one get speed/distance output totals etc?  Just wondering if it's only the Edge that has the overlap with what one would get off the normal non-GPS bike computer?

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #84 on: 03 March, 2013, 10:31:26 pm »
Any of the Etrex models will tell you your speed, average speed, max speed, distance, elapsed time, moving time, time of day, elevation etc.
So just about everything that a bike computer will do (except cadence/heart rate, only the Etrex 30 does that).

« Reply #85 on: 03 March, 2013, 10:42:58 pm »
Any of the Etrex models will tell you your speed, average speed, max speed, distance, elapsed time, moving time, time of day, elevation etc.
So just about everything that a bike computer will do (except cadence/heart rate, only the Etrex 30 does that).

Excellent thanks.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #86 on: 03 March, 2013, 10:43:51 pm »
You get speed/distance etc with all models based on GPS info anyway, but only a limited number have direct sensor inputs (Edge 705 and 800?).

Note that the Edge 605 DOESN'T have non-GPS speed and cadence, nor an electronic compass, but is otherwise the same as the 705.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #87 on: 04 March, 2013, 09:17:04 am »
(except cadence/heart rate, only the Etrex 30 does that).

If you buy or have the required ANT+ sensors

« Reply #88 on: 04 March, 2013, 09:48:43 am »
Another option, if you want added versatility are the handheld units like my Oregon 450T which I've used walking, cycling, driving (in Furrn parts)

The thing which you will probably have gathered from all these comments is that there is a bit of a learning curve getting to use it to its best effect, no matter which unit you get. Sure, you can use them to good effect out the box, but their usefulness increases the more effort you put into to getting to know it.

As far as routing is concerned, here's a radical thought: you are on a bicycle. You can choose which roads you ride on, you don't have to ride on the M1 EVEN if the GPS tells you to. Trufact.

With a flexible unit (I can only speak for my Oregon but many others will do this) you can set the endpoint then zoom to see the likely route, zoom into the map and then just ride. If you really want to, you can set waypoints at places: towns, road junctions, POIs and just route to those. If you come across a road you don't want to ride..... you just don't.

You've got a route you want to detour somewhere else, just do it. You want to get back to your route, look at the map, drop a waypoint and head for it.

If you expect to have a bike GPS work like a car GPS but for bikes, you will be sore disappointed. It stands to reason that unless the quality of each road or track is ridden and assessed (and never subsequently changes) it will be impossible for routing GPS to work properly for bikes, get over it. Let's face it, most car GPS won't work well for HGVs. If you expect your bike GPS to provide flexibility to keep you rolloing with a smile on your face knowing you always know where you are, it will do that.

« Reply #89 on: 04 March, 2013, 11:20:17 am »
Well I went for an eTrex Vista Hcx in the end.  I've ordered a bar mount (£7), which I may fettle (as others here) to place on the stem sitting on something shock absorbent.  But apparently some tape in the mount will prevent rattling of the unit.   

So it takes AA batteries - will probably use NiMH.  If the batteries need changing mid ride - is this possible?

Also any info on the software to combine maps that Fuaran mention may be needed?

What format of route file needs to be saved for the Hcx?

Cheers
Andy

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #90 on: 04 March, 2013, 11:38:38 am »
Well I went for an eTrex Vista Hcx in the end.  I've ordered a bar mount (£7), which I may fettle (as others here) to place on the stem sitting on something shock absorbent.  But apparently some tape in the mount will prevent rattling of the unit.   

So it takes AA batteries - will probably use NiMH.  If the batteries need changing mid ride - is this possible?

Also any info on the software to combine maps that Fuaran mention may be needed?

Cheers
Andy

I doubt you'll be able to change batteries mid-ride without saving  & reloading data, but an external USB power source would keep it running (unlike the Edge, it won't charge the batteries).

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #91 on: 04 March, 2013, 11:39:18 am »
I agree with Ham.  Although it is annoying, there is a learning curve involved with everything.  Take the Edge 705 I have, for instance.  Select an endpoint, select route.  If in parts furrin it doesn't necessarily understand that some roads are just not for cyclists (especially if your maps are out of date).  So go old school, start the route by using a paper map, avoiding the major routes, where bikes are not allowed.  Eventually you get to a point where the GPS unit gives up and allows you to go your way.  You can almost hear it sigh is disgust.  GPS units should be treated like maps, or recipes.  They are a suggestion as to the way to go, not a "set in stone" route that you must follow at all costs.  Start thinking like that and you will get the most out of your GPS.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #92 on: 04 March, 2013, 11:45:34 am »

Cheers
Andy

I doubt you'll be able to change batteries mid-ride without saving  & reloading data, but an external USB power source would keep it running (unlike the Edge, it won't charge the batteries).

No, you can change the batteries whenever you want (or switch the unit off in the caff) and the only effect will be to put an artificial break in any tracklog you are recording.  No big issue at all - it will still be just the one tracklog file, and it is easy to edit the track segments out on a PC if should need to do so.  Otherwise, when you switch back on it should start up where you left off.

I'll leave the other questions for others to answer more precisely than I can.

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #93 on: 04 March, 2013, 11:57:46 am »

Cheers
Andy

No, you can change the batteries whenever you want (or switch the unit off in the caff) and the only effect will be to put an artificial break in any tracklog you are recording.  No big issue at all - it will still be just the one tracklog file, and it is easy to edit the track segments out on a PC if should need to do so.  Otherwise, when you switch back on it should start up where you left off.

I'll leave the other questions for others to answer more precisely than I can.

Yes I have an old eTrex I sued to use (no mapping function) and when I stopped to change batteries the GPX track had not break. There must be some internal button battery which is used to save preferences etc.. as well as minimal data for when changing batteries.
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #94 on: 04 March, 2013, 01:35:07 pm »
I suspect it's not as sophisticated as that.  When you turn it back on it just starts again.  It knows where you are (obviously!) and just carries on to the next routepoint.  The unit will only produce one tracklog file per calendar day however often you start and stop the device.  With each part defined as a track segment within that file.

« Reply #95 on: 04 March, 2013, 02:31:00 pm »
Let's face it, most car GPS won't work well for HGVs.

Agreed, but fortunately my Etrex works much better than my Truckmate GPS ::-)

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #96 on: 04 March, 2013, 03:59:44 pm »

The tape is quite important - to reduce any rattle between the GPS and the mount, which is the main source of some unreliability.
Stem mounting is a bit problematic unless you're lucky enough that it sits at the right angle for you.

Unless you're in the habit of not recharging your batteries - they won't run down mid-ride.  Good ones can last 30+ hours in an Etrex.  Carry a (cased) pair of lithiums as spares because they weigh little and have good storage life - like carrying a tyre boot you'll never need.

Changing bats takes about 20 secs and there is no data loss.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #97 on: 04 March, 2013, 05:42:48 pm »
(except cadence/heart rate, only the Etrex 30 does that).

If you buy or have the required ANT+ sensors

Except that - according to posts elsewhere on yacf - there seems to be an issue with having separate speed/cadence sensors, whereas the combined one works (allegedly) - which is a bit rubbish for a recumbent.

The old-stylee-old-Polar-like Garmin HRM works fine tho' - the later soft strap version with a rectangular podule on the middle seems to have some issues (IIRC fixed by using just the strap section of the equivalent Polar in the case of dropouts)

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/08/solution-to-heart-rate-dropoutsspikes.html
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/08/how-to-fix-heart-rate-strap-chaffing.html

« Reply #98 on: 05 March, 2013, 09:50:25 am »
Except that - according to posts elsewhere on yacf - there seems to be an issue with having separate speed/cadence sensors, whereas the combined one works (allegedly) - which is a bit rubbish for a recumbent.

My only experience of such sensors is using a Bryton with a combined sensor and a HRM sensor. I note from the Etrex manual that the unit will only record HR and Cadence. It may be that the unit would not be able to match up with a speed sensor?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #99 on: 05 March, 2013, 01:07:33 pm »
but ... but ... but ...   ???

A friend of mine disconnects his van speedo for 10 months of the year, to keep the 'clocked' mileage down (!!) - uses his satnav to display the speed.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll