Author Topic: Bridge?  (Read 1588 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Bridge?
« on: 28 November, 2008, 07:04:14 pm »
I've just had a sudden urge for a game of bridge, which I haven't played for a long time but 30-odd years ago occupied a lot of my time.

I've had a quick look round and there are, of course, free websites and this one looks OK, although I haven't tried any of them.

Does anyone else play on line bridge? And does anyone fancy a game?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
Re: Bridge?
« Reply #1 on: 28 November, 2008, 08:54:53 pm »
1 No Trump

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #2 on: 28 November, 2008, 09:56:55 pm »
Can I ask your partner what she understands by that bid?

« Reply #3 on: 28 November, 2008, 10:16:53 pm »
Strong 15 - 17 points balanced hand no void, singleton or two doubletons.

Matthew

p.s. Bridgebase is one of the bigger sites, also host live coverage of major international and national compertition hands with commentry.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4 on: 28 November, 2008, 10:18:41 pm »
OK.  Does someone want to point me to a site that gives a numpties guide to the bidding please?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #5 on: 28 November, 2008, 10:33:11 pm »
""www.bridgeclublive.com ""is the web based bridge on line site of the EBU.

cant say that I have used it - but it will be ACOL based -- and as far as I understand is friendly and helpful.

Bridgebase online is more often linked to Standard American - but there are thousands of players - so many different languages and systems - it is good if you want to watch the very highest level of competition - with informed commentary as play takes place in the Vugraph area of the site. Inside the site there is an ACOL club - usually has 7 or 8 tables playing ( if I remember correctly)

I play duplicate about twice a week at various clubs in Norfolk, so have a modicum of knowledge here ( more than can be said about most other things)

Difficult to work up a good partnership understanding on line - as rarely playing with same person - and little scope to discuss what has happened and learn from it.

Hope this is useful - if you need any thing extra - I could for example point you at clubs in your neck of the woods -- then pm me.
Roger
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #6 on: 28 November, 2008, 10:51:37 pm »
OK.  Does someone want to point me to a site that gives a numpties guide to the bidding please?

I've just had a google and I couldn't see one which I'd properly recommend. Are you familiar with the basics?

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #7 on: 28 November, 2008, 10:55:09 pm »

I've just had a google and I couldn't see one which I'd properly recommend. Are you familiar with the basics?

Basic basics, yes.

I used to play inexpertly hundreds of years ago.  I've completely lost it now though.
Particularly the expected responses etc.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #8 on: 28 November, 2008, 11:05:17 pm »
I've not played for years either. One of the sites I fundamentally disagreed with. They seemed to be recommending an "artificial" bidding system without covering basics first - opening on 3-card suits and stuff.

In a nutshell, each bid shows the likely minimum number of points in a hand. From memory, it's 13+ points to open one of a suit, 6 points to respond at the one level and 9 at the 2 level. Opener bids 1 of the longest, strongest suit and responder can do a whole load of stuff depending on various factors, which probably isn't a lot of help. Generally you should have at least 4 cards in a suit to open and the idea is that your successive bids should leave each other with a more precise idea of what your partner has.

cc93

« Reply #9 on: 28 November, 2008, 11:10:50 pm »
Remember to perform a jump takeout when in danger of losing the rubber

(I think that was bridge)  ???