Author Topic: eBay listing Issue  (Read 954 times)

eBay listing Issue
« on: 22 July, 2020, 08:47:46 am »
I'm selling a watch on eBay. It's listed with a Make an Offer feature. I have set, repeatedly, the minimum I will consider as £50. This is on the listing and shows up with that value when I use the app on my phone to view the item.
eBay keeps resetting the minimum value to £15 - for example, last night it was at £50. This morning it's back to £15, so I got an offer of £30 which I had to decline. I just tried using eBay's chat help, but got nowhere, so I'm wondering if I'm doing anything wrong. Any ideas?
Edit: I've removed the option to make offers, but I'd like to know if it's something I'm doing wrong.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Re: eBay listing Issue
« Reply #1 on: 22 July, 2020, 09:26:55 am »

ISTR that if you get a lower offer than you'd like you can send the bidder a counter offer that is an acceptable amount rather than simply decline. 

I recently made an offer I thought was a fair start to negotiations but the seller just ignored me totally so I bought the same thing elsewhere at his BIN price.  The item did not sell, I very likely would have bought it if there'd been communication.

Any reasonable interest is better than none and I have seen items with a 99p starting price make very good money whilst sellers who start high get no bids. 

I think it is called the 'Art of the Deal' but I could be wrong. ;)
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #2 on: 22 July, 2020, 10:21:57 am »
Is the limit you're setting higher than the bid/BIN price? eBay stupidly requires it to be lower.

I recently made an offer I thought was a fair start to negotiations

Sellers get endless offers from chancers lowballing them. I've never viewed it as the potential start of a negotiation, just spam.

I only pay attention to offers if they're in the vicinity of the typical selling price.

« Reply #3 on: 22 July, 2020, 11:10:00 am »
Is the limit you're setting higher than the bid/BIN price? eBay stupidly requires it to be lower.

I recently made an offer I thought was a fair start to negotiations

Sellers get endless offers from chancers lowballing them. I've never viewed it as the potential start of a negotiation, just spam.

I only pay attention to offers if they're in the vicinity of the typical selling price.

Would I make a stupid offer? No. It would be near market value.  But to decline a even a stupid offer is just a click and they amuse me. 

If a buyer gets in touch with me, I will be reasonable; I once got a buyer in Canada wanting to buy a simple antique item for many times its UK value plus postage to Canada.  What's more he left glowing feedback!!

I sold a 15 year old bike by auction for an amazing price, low reserve, 99p start (to be fair, it was a Brompton). 

No reflection on the OP but it annoys me to see all the BIN items for which the seller is in rip-off territory.  The other side of the coin.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #4 on: 22 July, 2020, 11:28:10 am »
I often low ball. You can go up but you can never go down. This week I offered £300 against something that had a BiN of £500. We met near the middle at £390.
Other times I have just clicked BiN. It depends on how urgently I want something and how expensive it is.
It's eBay its designed for haggling so why not low ball. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't but its always up to the seller to refuse an offer so no harm done.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #5 on: 22 July, 2020, 03:24:02 pm »
Sellers don't get to see, actively, offers that fall below the minimum amount set, so 'silly' low offers aren't ignored, they just aren't shown to the seller. Buyers get 3 chances to make offers, then lose the option.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #6 on: 22 July, 2020, 04:01:10 pm »
Sellers don't get to see, actively, offers that fall below the minimum amount set, so 'silly' low offers aren't ignored, they just aren't shown to the seller. Buyers get 3 chances to make offers, then lose the option.

If you start your auction with a low starting bid you can't set the offer threshold to a higher value, so you still get the lowball offers. Because of this I don't pay much attention to offers.