Author Topic: Optical Symptoms - Migraines  (Read 40080 times)

Re: Optical Symptoms - Migraines
« Reply #100 on: 24 January, 2019, 06:32:21 am »
Ok, so despite working 7 days a week 12 hour days under a lot of stress and pressure, I've seen a 30-35% reduction. Severity is down, triptans effectiveness is up.
I sleep better and I poop better.  It's not a cure, but it's a significant improvement. This is after 2 doses. Would love to see what low pressure, more healthy lifestyle would do to it. (which is still a month or so away).

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #101 on: 14 February, 2019, 10:15:51 pm »
And I'm currently experiencing migraine aura, probably the first time in more than a decade. A bit like this
[image snipped]

It feels wrong to refer to it as migraine, because I don't get any headache or nausea, and it doesn't last more than 30 minutes or so. For me it's just a minor inconvenience, compared to what others suffer. But migraine is what the neurologist called it, and who am I to argue?

And in the time it's taken to compose this post, it's almost gone.

And I'm currently experiencing the first since that one. So just over a year ago.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #102 on: 14 February, 2019, 11:22:46 pm »
You can have migraines with just aura and no headache etc. I rarely get aura - maybe once every 2 years or so, but often don't get a headache after, just severe photosensitivity...

Delighted to see improvement for you Jakob. My review with migraine clinic was pushed from Feb to April so we'll see what they say then. I'm still struggling with lighting (more cheap shit flickering LEDs everywhere) and have given up on all the drugs including triptans which were worse than the migraines.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #103 on: 15 February, 2019, 01:28:38 pm »
And I'm currently experiencing migraine aura, probably the first time in more than a decade. A bit like this
[image snipped]

It feels wrong to refer to it as migraine, because I don't get any headache or nausea, and it doesn't last more than 30 minutes or so. For me it's just a minor inconvenience, compared to what others suffer. But migraine is what the neurologist called it, and who am I to argue?

And I'm currently experiencing the first since that one. So just over a year ago.
And again today, this time for the first time ever with a headache.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #104 on: 15 February, 2019, 02:26:25 pm »
I occasionally had patchy blind spots without headache.
Don't think I've had this since I stopped working >15 years ago.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #105 on: 17 February, 2019, 02:18:40 pm »
[image snipped]

And again today, this time for the first time ever with a headache.
And today. Nothing for a year and now 3 in 4 days. The novelty is beginning to wear off.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #106 on: 17 February, 2019, 05:13:46 pm »
GWS Salvatore!

barakta

« Reply #107 on: 06 March, 2019, 10:58:55 pm »
Had myself a delightful flashy migraine job on Sunday, think that's the first in 13 months since the three back to back just after Gran's funeral in early Feb 2018...  I am still definitely not right. Blue lenses definitely help. Have just stayed in them at work although I don't usually do my student work in them cos they're a bit less friendly (can't see/read my face so well).

It was weird at work on Monday, I couldn't handwrite properly, my grapho-motor skills (and general motor skills) were awful. Fortunately I work with largely dyslexic students who are sympathetic to "I'm having spelling fail today". Weird cos my spelling is normally amazing and I could spell while typing at that point (although today typing isn't so great).

Brains... Fascinating.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #108 on: 06 March, 2019, 11:16:28 pm »
Much neurology was learned from patchy brain fail.

Both MS and migraine can cause very curious weirdnesses.

Clever folk can pinpoint the exact location of the brainfail.

barakta

« Reply #109 on: 06 March, 2019, 11:27:19 pm »
Add to that the fact my vision already makes neurologists go "eh?" cos in theory it shouldn't work as well as it does but it does work till it doesn't. I suspect migraines largely reduce my ability to compensate so I see the distortion which is my norm. 

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #110 on: 06 March, 2019, 11:48:56 pm »
Suspect your brain does a lot of 'filling in' when not migrained.

I know mine does for my left eye, whose bitmap is moth-eaten.

barakta

« Reply #111 on: 07 March, 2019, 10:11:18 pm »
*nods* when I'm tired without migraine it is harder to converge and stop my double vision being annoying. Apparently adults with lifelong double vision shouldn't notice it ever, but that's clearly bollocks as I've always noticed it...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #112 on: 07 March, 2019, 10:15:40 pm »
Seldom get double vision but am fascinated how brain 'colours in' desaturated left eye view through closed but not covered right eye - lid giving 'red' input. (Covering obliterates this.)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #113 on: 07 March, 2019, 10:28:32 pm »
Back in the 1990s, video cameras had mono CRT viewfinders (which were much better than this modern pixellated rubbish).  You could get interesting effects when comparing your vision in one eye, the other eye and both eyes immediately after using one for a prolonged period.

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #114 on: 07 March, 2019, 11:38:36 pm »

Apparently adults with lifelong double vision shouldn't notice it ever, but that's clearly bollocks as I've always noticed it...

I would agree that it is bollocks. I have had quite bad double vision since birth and I have always noticed mine (51.5 years and counting, so far!)

I have also suffered with migraines for decades - sometimes aura, sometimes headache, sometimes both. 
Funnily enough, I haven't had a migraine since giving up playing large brass musical instruments in top section contesting brass bands about 5 years ago. Don't know if they're linked. Don't care anymore, either!
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #115 on: 23 March, 2019, 11:17:52 am »
[image snipped]

One yesterday morning - it must have started while I was asleep, because I only caught the tail end of it when I woke up.

And again this morning while buying handlebar tape. I've delayed cycling home until it's over, which it nearly is.

« Reply #116 on: 24 May, 2019, 06:45:42 am »
So, I went to Japan for vacation for 3 weeks.  This trip did have several alcoholic encounters, but for spme reason, the overprocessed Japanese beer has always been kind to my migraines...and it was the same this more.
More curiously, I only had 1 non-alcohol related migraine....but the moment I got back, *bang*, hello chronic headache.
I conveniently forgot my toothpaste and had to buy a (by my taste) weird Japanese one....could I really be allergic to Colgate?
I shall experiment!

« Reply #117 on: 24 May, 2019, 07:32:09 am »
So, I went to Japan for vacation for 3 weeks.  This trip did have several alcoholic encounters, but for spme reason, the overprocessed Japanese beer has always been kind to my migraines...and it was the same this more.
More curiously, I only had 1 non-alcohol related migraine....but the moment I got back, *bang*, hello chronic headache.
I conveniently forgot my toothpaste and had to buy a (by my taste) weird Japanese one....could I really be allergic to Colgate?
I shall experiment!
check for eugenol content.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #118 on: 24 May, 2019, 08:17:37 pm »
Googled for alternative toothpaste...and promptly ended up on anti-vaxxer like sites....will require more careful research, I think

« Reply #119 on: 03 June, 2019, 05:24:17 am »
So, I'm starting to suspect I may be allergic to dogs. Last years trip, I spent the majority of my time in dog house holds. This year, I met one dog in 3 weeks.
At home, we're kinda/sorta semi-separated (It's complicated!). It means we have 2 households and Hana, our Great Dane, splits time, depending on schedules, etc. She's been with my wife all week and I slowly improved over the week....went there this weekend, and I'm definitely reacting to something.
I think it's time to go to the GP and ask for an allergy test.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #120 on: 03 June, 2019, 12:52:43 pm »
I think it's time to go to the GP and ask for an allergy test.

Good idea.  It's helpful to know what you are and aren't allergic to.  I was surprised to learn that I'm not at all allergic to cats, but make up for it with all the pollen, and a horrendous reaction to house dust.  When I was younger and more prone to acute respiratory problems my dog allergy never showed up simply because I was too terrified of them to get exposed.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #121 on: 06 June, 2019, 08:41:27 pm »
I'm having what I assume is aura now. Like some sort of flashy wavy northern lights out the side of one eye. It's quite distracting.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

barakta

« Reply #122 on: 06 June, 2019, 08:56:14 pm »
Ugh hope it passes soon and you don't get nasty headache or pain.

I've had 3-4 days of constant severe photosensitivity not helped by an hour in my opticians waiting for lens cutting/swapping under their evil lighting.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #123 on: 06 June, 2019, 09:38:30 pm »
Only had it a couple of times. No headache thankfully. It seems to have passed now.
Tonight's one was preceded by a view that looked like I'd looked directly into the sun, even though I was indoors at the time, which confused me.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #124 on: 20 June, 2019, 05:19:48 pm »
Damn migraines are back.

Not serious yet, just continuous low level headache, vague dizziness and memory fog. Some dysphasia
<i>Marmite slave</i>