Linked Events

• Bryan Chapman 600km Audax: 16 May, 2009

Author Topic: Bryan Chapman Memorial 600 (16-MAY-2009)  (Read 135833 times)

TOBY

• hello
Re: Bryan Chapman Memorial 600 (16-MAY-2009)
« Reply #750 on: 18 May, 2009, 09:42:21 pm »
Busy day at work today but feeling good if a bit tired - made maximum use of my ability to delegate ;D
I've really enjoyed reading through these posts, so many different ways to experience the same thing, unfortunately I can only stretch to a bulleted list:

• Passing a guy on a Big Wheel Unicycle doing about 20-25kph!  :o
  • Being caught in hail twice - The second lot of hail coming in at 40mph off the sea like frozen peas fired from a canon - I hid behind a wall
  • Having fried rice with sweet and sour sauce and a cup of tea on the way back from Menai with my 2 companions
  • Getting to the YH for 12:20am
  • Waiting in Aberhafsp for the rain to stop for about 40minutes then just
  • leaving in the rain anyway
  • Being stared down by a horned cow in the road, so determined to not let me by I was forced to wait for a car to follow
  • Pleasant ride from Weobley with Jwo, leaving in heavy showers but experiencing great spells of sunshine and conversation until we became detached shortly after Monmouth
  • Flying up out of Tintern in the pouring rain knowing I wasn't going to stop to put my jacket on
  • First 600 first SR  :thumbsup:

Thanks must go to Mark and all involved for the great job and hard work they put in - very much appreciated  :thumbsup:

Shame on Pumpe who stayed home to watch Eurovision  :hand:

I must still be tired as this post contains an unacceptable level of "emoticons"  :-\

« Reply #751 on: 18 May, 2009, 09:44:39 pm »
Well done to all those who finished. Commiserations to those who didn't. It's a mammoth task for Mark, organising a long event for so many people.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #752 on: 18 May, 2009, 10:19:11 pm »
PS.  I just remembered my favourite moment.  The view along Harlech beach and dunes.  Quite stunning.

Did you see the cottage nestling in the dunes just back from the sea? Mrs Blacksheep reckoned it was available for rent but does anyone know how you can book it?

H

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #753 on: 18 May, 2009, 10:30:18 pm »
I'm very very tired and my legs feels like they are made of wood but I made it and completed my first SR.  I still need to unwind the ride in my head as I have so many blanks at the moment and will post a full ride report tomorrow.  But I really want to say a huge thank you to Mark and all the support team who were so friendly, helpful and patient ...I felt very well looked after ...the control in Menai was like an oasis after the madness in the mountains!  congrats to all the finishers and commisertions to those that tried.  Particular congrats to Urban_Biker and Swarm_Catcher for their first SR as well.
appearing in a tea room near you

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #754 on: 18 May, 2009, 10:33:32 pm »
Congrats CM, that is some achievement.

« Reply #755 on: 18 May, 2009, 11:30:11 pm »

That descent also ranks as one of the scariest 5 minutes of my life.  My bike decided to go into a 'shimmy'  whenever I touched my brakes.  Once it started it progressively got worse and worse.  Anyway, the combination of my brakes not working very well in the deluge, the shimmy, the gradient etc.  left me feeling very scared and relieved once I managed to get the bike to stop on a flat section.  I was going much faster than the recommended healthy speed for falling off a bike (anyone else had 'shimmy' problems using a rack and rack pack?  I never had it before and I'm usually pretty quick on descents).

I got the shimmy of death in exactly the same place on the 2004 Bryan Chapman.  That descent is very unforgiving if your bike doesn't behave itself.  It frightened me to the extent I bought a new frame! 

Old Spot

« Reply #756 on: 18 May, 2009, 11:51:29 pm »
The BCM is a very hardcore ride and getting as far as you did in that awful weather shows just how strong you are.

Although you're always going to get wet on a Welsh 600, maybe 2010 will bring us better conditions...  :demon:

I wouldn't say always!
BCM 2004 was as dry and sunny as a dry and sunny thing.  8)

BCM 2004

I must admit to getting a thorough soaking on the other occasions i've ridden it  :(

« Reply #757 on: 19 May, 2009, 01:37:28 am »
Hummers is back

I saw a lot of weird things, since I was at the HQ basically from midday until it closed, but the most remarkable was Hummers coming in apparently as fresh as a daisy, looking like he'd just ridden round the block rather than across Wales twice.

« Reply #758 on: 19 May, 2009, 04:29:22 am »
That really was quite surreal. He didn't even look damp, and was bouncing around the place.

border-rider

« Reply #759 on: 19 May, 2009, 07:36:58 am »

I wouldn't say always!

it was.  But even that year one spot of rain fell upon the Volio Personage on  the climb alongside Cader Idris, after Corris. The ride has a reputation to uphold, you know :)

Chris N

« Reply #760 on: 19 May, 2009, 08:00:21 am »

Stonking tailwind all the way to Llangurig - recorded my Vmax coming down the new bypass into Bronllys: 66km/h, 193rpm. 

That was always my test of spin-ability.  I used to just be able to hit 200 rpm down there.  It's a nice, smooth, open descent :)

On a lower gear I probably would have just topped 200, but I stuck with 71".  Seemed about right, though my right ankle is aching now from all the climbing.  A smaller gear may have helped into the wind, but would have held me back on the way north, and I couldn't be bothered to swap my wheel over.

Back at the YH by 2.15, managed to ride all the way up the drive

Impressive.   Only done it once, and never at the second visit.

I was determined not to let it beat me.  The first two bits were ok, but I'd forgotten about the third, steeper section the first time round.  I tried just a little bit harder the second time.

Hello, you got home alright then, how long did it take you to get to Dolgellau after?

4 1/4 hours, I think.  Had to stop for a kip on the way back too.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #761 on: 19 May, 2009, 08:16:00 am »
What a fantastic ride and well supported and organised event.

Firstly, thanks to all of you who made this event possible and all your hard work throughout the weekend. Lots of familiar faces made controls something to look forward to. Special thanks to Mr Blacksheep who puts so much of himself into organising this and is a very fine chap indeed.

To much stuff and not enough time for a RR but:

Highlights:

Friday night; Upper Sedbury house campsite, putting some more YACF names to faces, meeting some Plymothian aristocracy and the (mostly) excellent beer courtesy of the Coach and Horses.

Saturday daytime; Atmosphere and hot cross buns at the start, views up over the hills to the mountains, Honey Cafe food and service, Scenic diversion up over the Elan Valley, getting past the point where I packed in 2006 even though it all felt very familiar, looking over the countryside from the high road to Aberyswyth, grabbing an unscheduled bacon sarnie from a burger van on the way to Clettewr cafe (under new management), not walking up the YHA drive (I), Kings Youth Hostel and welcome from the crew along the ride.

Saturday night: Mr Blacksheep informing me that the paddock had been prepared for my return (although they would need to put a ring through my nose), Mr Blacksheep spotting all was not well and giving me some encouragement, talking myself out packing and silencing the negative voices in my head, pairing up with Mrs Blacksheep for the night section from Barmouth in the capacity of her moble windbreak, Barmouth and Harlech sea views, evening sun on the mountains, the climb up from Beddgelert to Pen Y Pass, the soup at Menai, not walking up the YHA drive (II), food and a bed (however briefly) at the Youth Hostel on Sunday morning.

Sunday: Switching to full blown bimbly tourist mode for the last 220k as if Saturday and  the previous 400k had never happened, having the benefit of Mrs Blacksheep's company and knowledge of the ride back, the climb up over the mountains first thing in the morning and the descent the other side, the winding climb out of Newtown and views, Aberhafesp control and friendly faces, the pub stop at Lingen and some damn fine coffee, the dramatic change in scenery as we crossed the borders, realising that LlanLumpy was the last of the A466 rollers, flying up the climb from Tintern through the mist and thinking "God I love riding my bike", finishing the ride in the company of Mrs Blacksheep with an hour in hand, seeing Chillmoister, Urban_Biker and Keeks rolling into the control in time, finding out that Manotea had finished in time, knowing that Swarm_Catcher was still out there and finished the ride.

Monday: Ride debrief with Mr Spooner and Chris N in the pub over a fry up and a pint of BEER at 9:30 on a Monday morning. Having my son for company for the drive home after picking him up from Newport.

Lows

Drinking far too much beer on Friday night and regretting this for most of Saturday morning, making a mistake on the way to the Elan Valley and having to drop down into it and climb back up the the main road again,  the headwind climbing into the Elan Valley and having to pedal down to Devils Bridge, feeling knackered after only 180k, following Mel Kirkland and not the route sheet and missing the Scenic diversion to Dolgellau, feeling exhausted, cold and miserable at Kings and going through that rationalisation and justification wrestling match associated with packing, my very sore ass for most of Sunday, a farm dog biting through my rear tyre sidewall (yes, really) and puncturing 3k from Weobly,  finding out that Pompey Phill and LEE had packed.

As for this:

I can understand PBP.   I can almost understand LEL.  I can't understand the BCM at all.  Must be a masochistic thing.

As I try to negotiate the stairs today, you might be right about the masochism but then again, maybe that's just me. I guess the only way to know for sure is to ride all three and find out for yourself.

H

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #762 on: 19 May, 2009, 08:28:47 am »
*wipes tear from eye*

Good post, H.  It's a rollercoaster ride in more than one way  :thumbsup:

BCM 2004

Dammit, will you stop publishing fabulous pictures like those - you're making me give serious consideration to riding this idiot event again in the future!

;D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #763 on: 19 May, 2009, 08:29:42 am »

Excellent. Achievement, Reports, Organisation. Thanks and congrats. Excellent indeed!

Bez

• Carpe Cerevisi.
« Reply #764 on: 19 May, 2009, 09:04:55 am »
a farm dog biting through my rear tyre sidewall (yes, really) and puncturing 3k from Weobly

I think that dog had a go at every bike that went past.

I was about to fend it off with my shoe when I remembered I was clipped in and had to draw on energy I didn't know I had left to get away.   

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #765 on: 19 May, 2009, 09:28:27 am »
a farm dog biting through my rear tyre sidewall (yes, really) and puncturing 3k from Weobly

I was about to fend it off with my shoe when I remembered I was clipped in and had to draw on energy I didn't know I had left to get away.   

If you mean the dog a couple of k from Weobley, it had a go at the rider in front of me so I charged in with a squirt of energy drink.  Two bikes at once and being fired at with liquids seemed to confuse it for long enough for us to ride off

plug

« Reply #766 on: 19 May, 2009, 09:44:02 am »

If you mean the dog a couple of k from Weobley, it had a go at the rider in front of me so I charged in with a squirt of energy drink.  Two bikes at once and being fired at with liquids seemed to confuse it for long enough for us to ride off

Thus ensuring that it was thoroughly pissed-off by the time Hummers rolled through ;D

That pre-Weobley hound tried to pull my overshoe off, but let go when it realised it was just a cheap and nasty one that leaks like a sieve anyway.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #767 on: 19 May, 2009, 10:46:04 am »
I've just been reading this thread for the first time since the ride.

Until this morning I was in that low spot you often get after finishing - but reading this has made me feel on top of the world. The BCM is the toughest physical challenge I have ever done. Its still amazing to me that only 4 years ago I was almost this exhausted after 30 miles of cycling on the Isle of Wight.

It just shows what can be achieved by anyone with the right training and encouragement. If you are out there reading this and perhaps you commute to work or just do weekend rides, this kind of thing really is possible with the right preparation and training.

Thanks to LEE who got me into this crazy game in the first place and to Chillmoister and Keeks who kept me going when I could have stopped. Having such good friends at your side is what gets you through when it gets tough. LEE - next time!

Ride report to follow in the RR section.

Thanks to Mark, Charlotte and team for their superb work at all the controls - their kindness and sanity was a blessed relief from the road. C really is an angel  :-*

And swarm_catcher - I'm just dead impressed with your mental toughness. Wishing you all the best for LEL.
Owner of a languishing Langster

revrob

• YACF 426
« Reply #768 on: 19 May, 2009, 10:52:11 am »
  Was a real shame not to have revrob cheering us on through Llanberis this year

But he was looking out for you all!!!!
Work commitments  I'm afraid. We had 'Songs of Praise' being recorded in the Church here in Llanberis on Sunday and Monday, and the rigging crews were setting up on Saturday, so I had to be there - and couldn't get out to cheer you all on.

However, I did see some of you as I drove around on a couple of errands, and you all looked, erm, wet! But, it was noticeable that the wind had done its job blowing you up here, as people we much earlier than other years.

I say it every year, but will I be riding with you next year? I'm desperate to do it, but I'd have to do some more training and shed a stone in weight!

Well done to anyone who even got to the start line!

God bless,

Robert

(PS I bet you never thought you'd get Songs of Praise mentioned in a BCM thread!)
Pob bendith,

Robert

keeks

• shooting from the hip ... because I am
« Reply #769 on: 19 May, 2009, 11:31:38 am »
I would like to start off by thanking all those manning the controls. I felt welcome at everyone and whoever thought of putting apple pie and custard on the menu gets my sincere thanks :thumbsup:

I rode with Lee, Chillmoister, Urban biker and was later joined by Pompey Phil.

Ok to be honest I can't recall much of the beginning only noting the hills being gentle slopes on decent tarmac. Fairly early on we were passed by another rider who within a few words,we discovered was MR P Phil.

Anyways we made are merry way to that hostel. I don't recall when the rain appeared but it was forecast and it didn't disappoint.Hear I received a real boost as I thought my bag had been left behind. But there it was like the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

One thing that really struck me on the early part  was the wind. Even though on our backs turned what should have been a magical descent(no rain bonus)into a noisey debacle that practically had as blown backwards grrrrr >:(
This was abit of theme throughout the ride descents ruined by the weather.

So to Menai. The road out of Barmouth was good blast. Myself,Lee and Pompey Phil found a decent bus shelter and waited for Chillmoister and Urbanbiker to catch up. It turned out they missed the crossing over the bridge.

Then on to Harlech and we watched what turned out to be another biblical downpour approach. The views across the beach were wonderful with the backdrop of Snowdonia National Park shrouded in cloud.

Again it was a blur but I do remember the climb up to the Pen Y Pass.Checking out the lights behind and above us. But as we turned the courner to the final part we hit rain and wind.This it turned out was enough for Pompey Phil to quit. That left myself and Lee to get down the llanberis pass. That was a horrible descent I was shivering and the handlebars were twitching as a result.

Menai control I overshot but eventually found it. Never has soup been so important. It looked more like a refugee camp.

Then the ride back to the hostel with a promise of a warm bed. For me also the first time I would have ridden through the night. So something to think about other than the cold and wet night.

We came into the hostel at about 17:30 ish. Seeing other riders come out I thought to myself they will get the benefit of a dryer ride. So a bite to eat and to ma bed. One hour later" 07:00 gentlemen" was heard. God knows how but I dragged my poor body out of bed.

So off we all set. Stopping briefly down the road to get,yes wet weather gear on.

Now the wind was on our faces, and the higher we got the worst both wind and rain became. I was slightly ahead and with my head down pushed up Cader Idris I was met by first rain and wind which turned to hail it really really stung my head and when I looked down my thigh were white with sleety stuff.

I hadn't noticed but the others behind had taken shelter out of this.I had no choice I couldn't stop up there as there was no shelter.

Going down the other side was same as Llanberis but I managed to spy a telephone box and so hid in there out of the punishing weather.

I waited for the others and when I saw Lee and Chillmoister appear I shoved off not realising that would be the last I saw of Lee.

Further down I regrouped with Chillmoister and Urban biker and we moved off and just on the horizon we could see that there was blue sky making a decent effort. This perked us up as we had a torrid time going through Cadir Idris . But just as the sky promised to turn blue we turned left into the Grey grrrrrr. Again we waited and were met by Els and John Spooner, it was nice to meet up and chat. There we had the text that Lee had packed-- unbelieveable. That had to be some scary stuff to make Lee pack.

So up a incline building up our temperature and also on top of that the sun came out .I felt warm for the first time on the bike for ages,  I introduced myself and joined John Spooner for the climb up . Things were looking considerably better than they were about forty mins ago.

So now we had genuine belief we could finish. We had to keep an eye on the time though. So make hay while the sun shine, so the charge to Chepstow began.

We rode on and on , Urban biker had a moment but we convinced him to keep going , what choice did he have I told him. So some food and extra layer and he was good to go. I had to take caffeine tablets at that stage as I was dropping off.

Aberfshap control came and some very welcome apple pie and custard really sorted me. The next push to Woeberly was another one of those blurs but we were clock watching now. We met are regular riders at Woeberly . The guys on the trikes impressed me. But we were all in the same boat keeping an eye on the time.So we didn't hang around.

We left Woeberly at about 17:50 in dry weather with a head wind. I predicted as the sun went so would the wind , and it did. So we had dry weather and no head wind ...... at last. A nasty little hill came out of nowhere  but I was told by the trike crowd that was the last of its kind this side of Chepstow. However it did pay off as for the first time I managed a descent that was truely deserved.

Now we only had the 24k to Chepstow it was starting to get dark. But that road was perfect and we had good speed. On and on don't stop.The rain came again but I didn't care I had that 619k in my sights and hell and high water wasn't going to stop me now. I raced up that hill from Tintern I was behind Chillmoister but his bright red leds flashing on top on of the mist was begining to have a weird effect on me. I went past and had clear road and a clear mind. But that damned hill never ends I kept pushing to the next corner only to see another one, it was starting to get to me big time but thankfully it started its descent. I spotted a red light and caught up with it. My route sheet holder thingy had jolted forward out of position and I needed the final route in.

The guy I caught up with was the one with the trousers tucked into the socks and  he was wearing what I can only describe as his allotment gear and for the wet weather one of those all over cape/poncho thingy. I bet the bike was hued out of pig iron. Truely a man of steel.

So into the control with Chillmoister at about 10:30 with Urban Byker just behind.

We waited for our friend Els to come in she made it abit later.
But it was so nice to see our fellow lantern rouges come in ,ones we had been there or there abouts on the entire ride I was genuinely chuffed with them all.It was nice to see the joy on their faces. Hummers shook my hand and felt Chills bum , why not.I also received a handshake from John Spooner , I haven't washed it yet ;-) .

The Audax was only marred by the fact LEE who had been with us from my very first 100k and  every audax apart from one , was not there to share it.I suspect it won't be the last BCM that Lee does.

I was bloody chuffed I had did my first 600k and quite rightly myself and Chill quaffed champagne at the travelodge.

Well done to Chillmoister and Urban Biker a magnificent achievement

« Reply #770 on: 19 May, 2009, 11:40:47 am »

(PS I bet you never thought you'd get Songs of Praise mentioned in a BCM thread!)

Rob, I can assure you God was mentioned (in a tunefull manner) numerous times during the weekend.

Congrtats to all the completed - despite all that was thrown (or blown) at you - respect.

For those that found it a bit too much, you gave it a good shot - you're fore-armed with what can happen.

Provisional stats - (some cards are still drying-out). 95 starters, 57 completed the "2004", 17 completed the "Scenic" and 21 empty saddles.

My thanks to (in no particular order) :- Ian H. Charlotte, Ellie, Claire, David, Mr Damerell, Ellie, Ritchie, Carol, Tony, Richard, Doreen & team at Menai. Emma & Lucy & team at The Honey cafe, all at Clettwr Cafe. They all worked their socks-off, creating oasis' of calm amongst the wild storms.

Planning for the 2010 event started a couple of weeks ago - there will be a few changes all round.

where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #771 on: 19 May, 2009, 11:52:18 am »

Planning for the 2010 event started a couple of weeks ago - there will be a few changes all round.

You mean you've booked in some sunshine?  ;D
Owner of a languishing Langster

red marley

« Reply #772 on: 19 May, 2009, 11:56:16 am »
I'd echo your thanks to the team, and to yourself too of course. The support over the weekend is one of the things that makes it such a classic event, and turns what should be an almost impossible 620km into a fun (at times) and rewarding experience.

I'd also add my thanks to the receptionist at the Severn View Travelodge who is the friendliest I've met yet. She was very excited that so many cyclists had turned up this weekend (and the Brevet Cymru a couple of weeks ago). She welcomed us all, gave us all downstairs rooms, said she would have put out a 'congratulations' banner out for us if she had one. When I got back, she had been keeping an eye out on the weather and was asking about the others who were still out there. Apparently, she volunteered the Sunday evening shift so she could welcome us back.

« Reply #773 on: 19 May, 2009, 11:58:10 am »
Definitely a ride of two halves (given the wind). Not really a ride report but...

My magic scripts looking at the GPS tracklog give this:

which shows how much time in hand I had during the ride.

All starts off fine with that tailwind, quick stop at Bronllys, a reasonable stop at Tre'r Doll and at Kings (220km) but it all started to unravel on the run in to Menai, I'd completely run out of energy. The last 5 miles or so were painfully slow. When I got to Menai I was feeling too sick and tired to eat, despite this being exactly what I needed to do. I had a 15 minute sleep on the table and then forced some soup and a sandwich down my throat.

Back out on the road after Menai I was having problems staying awake. Coffee and pro-plus had helped a bit but I knew I had to stop as it was getting silly. I spied a nice bench just before Penrhyndeudraeth and stopped for a 15 minute nap. Felt a bit better and the sun was starting to come up and my spirits were lifted a bit. Had a chat with Mr Spooner on the way past Trawsfyndd about ways to give up; his excellent advice was that it was probably quicker to cycle back to Chepstow anyway. Top idea!

Back to Kings and I'd pretty much decided to give up. Got lots of encouragement from Rich, Charlotte, etc, and other riders there. No easy get out clause in Dolgellau so I decided to head on to Aberhafesp anyway, from there it's not far to various stations.

Left Kings at around the time the control closed (i.e. no time in hand) and stopped at the petrol station just outside Dolgellau for some liquid crack (lucozade) to get me up Cross Foxes. Promptly got a pinch flat leaving the forecourt and returned to the shelter to change the tube. Made up a bit of time with Manotea on the run to Aberhafesp, ate some food and felt so much better and left about 15 minutes after the control had closed. Made up more time on the run to Woebley, leaving just as that control shut. Bimbled back towards Chepstow with quite a few stops for sugary food. Walked most of Llancloudy but knew I was going to be ok for time barring unforeseen problems. Romped up the Tintern climb feeling the strongest I'd felt all day.

The energy problems just before halfway can be traced back to poor preparation the night before and morning of the ride. Didn't get good enough sleep on Friday night (only 3 hours), nor good enough food. Forgot to bring breakfast stuff with me and so I'd started on a near empty stomach until the cafe 90km in at Bronllys, and even then I only had a single portion of beans on toast. I should have had more.

It's annoying that I know exactly what to do to stop this happening, but I keep on making the same mistakes. Next long ride (Midland Super Grimpeur) I'm going to travel up earlier, making sure I eat and rest properly the night before and have a proper breakfast (even if it's just weetabix out of a disposable bowl in a Travelodge room). No more arriving at the hotel at 11pm and having a few hours of fitful sleep, waking up and starting the ride feeling crap and hungry.

Excellent work. I was just behind Scottlington and it went for him first and luckily left me alone (must have been the smell).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #774 on: 19 May, 2009, 12:04:58 pm »
Had a chat with Mr Spooner on the way past Trawsfyndd about ways to give up; his excellent advice was that it was probably quicker to cycle back to Chepstow anyway.

I have déjà vu.