Linked Events

• Bryan Chapman 600km Audax: 16 May, 2009

Author Topic: Bryan Chapman Memorial 600 (16-MAY-2009)  (Read 135846 times)

Re: Bryan Chapman Memorial 600 (16-MAY-2009)
« Reply #775 on: 19 May, 2009, 12:08:08 pm »

You mean you've booked in some sunshine?  ;D

In the words of one Mr. Pountney - ............ weather guaranteed  :demon:
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

red marley

« Reply #776 on: 19 May, 2009, 12:09:17 pm »
My magic scripts looking at the GPS tracklog give this: [...]

Even your graph looks like it's having a hard time standing up in the stiff breeze from the left.

revrob

• YACF 426
« Reply #777 on: 19 May, 2009, 12:10:28 pm »

(PS I bet you never thought you'd get Songs of Praise mentioned in a BCM thread!)

Rob, I can assure you God was mentioned (in a tunefull manner) numerous times during the weekend.

Planning for the 2010 event started a couple of weeks ago - there will be a few changes all round.

I can well imagine - Oh the joys of creation!!! I was not best pleased with the weather this weekend, either.

We' have a 'historical' leak in our church roof - it's been there since the building was constructed in 1885, and no amount of architects' input and money has been able to stop it, so we live with it now - though it only happens when the wind is in a certain direction, as it was this weekend! During the TV recording we had towels in the bottom of buckets to stop the drips making too much noise as the cameras dodged around them!!!

Out of interest, what changes do you envisage for 2010?
Pob bendith,

Robert

Bez

• Carpe Cerevisi.
« Reply #778 on: 19 May, 2009, 12:13:10 pm »

Planning for the 2010 event started a couple of weeks ago - there will be a few changes all round.

You mean you've booked in some sunshine?  ;D

Can we try and avoid that dog near Weobley. It might also be making plans for 2010.

« Reply #779 on: 19 May, 2009, 12:24:02 pm »

Can we try and avoid that dog near Weobley. It might also be making plans for 2010.

:thumbsup: Has been done - no more canine capers  8)
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #780 on: 19 May, 2009, 01:00:53 pm »
Sent.  Don't blame me if you get lost.

Excellent route. I owe you a beer for that.

Not a problem, but if you're going to use it again you might want to change "CZ-L" to "CZ-R" after the lumpy hedge in Brampton Bryan. I usually have at least one or two of these in any routes I create, helps keep me awake. :)

Somewhere I've got a script that I use to check for these. For each rtept Xn in a route it calculates1 the angle between the lines formed by points Xn-1 to Xn and Xn to Xn+1. Given the angle of this turn it would have clearly caught it as being incorrect. It's not perfect, but it helps me check.

1. Calculate the bearings of each line and subtract mod 360. Lots of useful stuff here: Calculate distance and bearing between two Latitude/Longitude points using Haversine formula in JavaScript
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #781 on: 19 May, 2009, 01:09:21 pm »
I'd also add my thanks to the receptionist at the Severn View Travelodge who is the friendliest I've met yet. She was very excited that so many cyclists had turned up this weekend (and the Brevet Cymru a couple of weeks ago). She welcomed us all, gave us all downstairs rooms, said she would have put out a 'congratulations' banner out for us if she had one. When I got back, she had been keeping an eye out on the weather and was asking about the others who were still out there. Apparently, she volunteered the Sunday evening shift so she could welcome us back.

You were lucky. She gave me (and another chap whose name I've rather embarrassingly forgotten) upstairs rooms on Sunday night. She did go upstairs and hold the doors for us though  :) Lovely lady indeed.

I think that really sums up the weekend; it was tough at times, but so many people gave their time, effort and attention to us that it became possible and a joy. When you think of the logistics involved, it's amazing that it comes together. Mere thanks to the organisor and helpers doesn't seem enough.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #782 on: 19 May, 2009, 01:10:06 pm »

which shows how much time in hand I had during the ride.

All starts off fine with that tailwind, quick stop at Bronllys, a reasonable stop at Tre'r Doll and at Kings (220km) but it all started to unravel on the run in to Menai, I'd completely run out of energy. The last 5 miles or so were painfully slow. When I got to Menai I was feeling too sick and tired to eat, despite this being exactly what I needed to do. I had a 15 minute sleep on the table and then forced some soup and a sandwich down my throat.
Looks like you lost 90mins at Menai, then only 75 at Dolgellau. Certainly an unusual schedule for the BCM. Perhaps ask for a discount for not using a bed?

p.s. How come you're blaming fuel supplies? I thought you were a fat burning machine! ;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #783 on: 19 May, 2009, 01:16:42 pm »
Had a chat with Mr Spooner on the way past Trawsfyndd about ways to give up; his excellent advice was that it was probably quicker to cycle back to Chepstow anyway.

I have déjà vu.

This advice is one I stick to too, and one reason why I like there and back routes, instead of figure 8s.  Once you've passed the halfway distance, even if you're thinking of packing it's probably easier and less faff to cycle the routesheet instead of trying to find a train; if you then end up arriving within time then it proves you didn't need to pack.

Having read all these reports, I take my hat off to you nutters and am just grateful that I've decided to try for a RRTY instead of a SR.  Beast from the East 2007 was fun, but I'm not certain that I fancy another 600 in the near future.

« Reply #784 on: 19 May, 2009, 01:17:02 pm »
p.s. How come you're blaming fuel supplies? I thought you were a fat burning machine! ;)

"Fat burns in a carbohydrate fire."

I've still got plenty of fat stock left to burn, and my fat metabolism is pretty damn good at the moment; by the time I'd got to Tre'r Doll at 180km the only food I'd had all day was a single round of beans on toast at Bronllys and a can of coke, the rest of my intake was carb-free. I couldn't have eaten more than I did at Tre'r Doll (and I ate quite a bit!) as I was feeling full. I didn't eat enough early enough and paid for it later on.

simonp

« Reply #785 on: 19 May, 2009, 01:23:50 pm »
Greenbank, reading your RR with the list of mistakes and the feeling ill at Menai etc reminds me of my 2007 attempt.  Well done carrying on.

Spikey

« Reply #786 on: 19 May, 2009, 02:37:42 pm »
I was quite worried about one chap, he just couldn't stop shaking!
Could have been me. I was fine climbing Pen-Y-Pas in the dry, where I stopped to put on a waterproof to prevent windchill on the descent. Then after Llanberris it started to rain and then hail. As I already had my waterproof on and only 10K to Menail, I opted not to stop for more layers, and to tough it out for half and hour, thus saving the relatively dry base layer, gloves and leggings for the return leg. In retrospect this was a bad decision, and I arived at Menai (approx 9pm) in a bad way, shivering for over half an hour. I spent much longer than planned warming up. On the plus side, it meant I missed a lot of rain and left Menai in the dry with all my kit on, and was soon warm as toast (very soggy), and had to stop a couple of times to remove some layers.

Lesson learnt. Always stop for extra layers if needed. Its surprising how quickly you can get so cold in those conditions.

Chris N

« Reply #787 on: 19 May, 2009, 02:40:13 pm »
Sent.  Don't blame me if you get lost.

Excellent route. I owe you a beer for that.

Not a problem, but if you're going to use it again you might want to change "CZ-L" to "CZ-R" after the lumpy hedge in Brampton Bryan. I usually have at least one or two of these in any routes I create, helps keep me awake. :)

Somewhere I've got a script that I use to check for these. For each rtept Xn in a route it calculates1 the angle between the lines formed by points Xn-1 to Xn and Xn to Xn+1. Given the angle of this turn it would have clearly caught it as being incorrect. It's not perfect, but it helps me check.

1. Calculate the bearings of each line and subtract mod 360. Lots of useful stuff here: Calculate distance and bearing between two Latitude/Longitude points using Haversine formula in JavaScript

I noticed that on the way out of Knighton - I knew the turn was a right, not left so it wasn't a problem for me, but Fidgetbuzz did take the left instead.  Thankfully he noticed within a few yards and was back on route sharpish.

I didn't see any other problems - though I didn't ride the scenic from Mallwyd through Pandy.  I was three hours up on last year at that point so was less bothered about traffic.

inc

« Reply #788 on: 19 May, 2009, 03:56:17 pm »
the pub stop at Lingen and some damn fine coffee,

Bloody hell, Hummers in my local, Was that you outside by your bike  about 1 . It just started to rain as I went through Lingen and then continued  for the next three hours. I did say hello as I went past I had a blue coat on, I  obviously didn't know it was you or would have offered some company on the road for an hour or so. I thought the BC route was further South.

« Reply #789 on: 19 May, 2009, 04:03:54 pm »
I thought the BC route was further South.

From Knighton it follows the A4113 to Brampton Bryan and then turns due South going through Newton, Birtley, Lingen, Kinsham, Byton, crossing the Elenith route West of Shobdon, down to Pembridge (crossing the Elenith route again), Luntley and Skog/Dog filled lane to Weobley.

That lane between Kinsham and Byton was hideous. I met at least 3 Range Rover HSEs being driven as if they were using the lane for hill climbing practice.

inc

« Reply #790 on: 19 May, 2009, 04:25:08 pm »

That lane between Kinsham and Byton was hideous.

I don't use that lane much as there is quite often a lot of farm traffic around the farm at Byton and if it is wet the lane is covered is crap.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #791 on: 19 May, 2009, 05:02:58 pm »

:thumbsup: Has been done - no more canine capers  8)

Is it just me imagining that some kind of AUK hitman was dispatched to deal with the issue?  ;)
Owner of a languishing Langster

border-rider

« Reply #792 on: 19 May, 2009, 05:05:45 pm »
Anyone see Ashes to Ashes last week ?

"He shot the dog ? Is it OK ?"

"Not very, no"

simonp

« Reply #793 on: 19 May, 2009, 05:19:48 pm »
Wonder if it's the same dog that chased me for a mile or so in 2007?  ::-)

« Reply #794 on: 19 May, 2009, 05:58:34 pm »
When crossing Spain a few years ago I had some good results with a dog Dazer - it emits a hyper-high pitched sound that makes the dog stop for enough seconds to let you make your escape....

But how slow must you be going in order for a dog to get its teeth into your tyre??????

Liam

red marley

« Reply #795 on: 19 May, 2009, 06:01:54 pm »
[David Attenborough]

It's now nearly 12 months since the dog has had it last full meal and has lost nearly 80% of its own bodyweight. But come May, it waits patiently for the great migration of two-wheeled beasts who, guided by some mysterious instinct, make the annual trek across the length of the country. At first, the stronger, faster ones stampede past in large groups. The dog knows if it tries to tackle these, it will come to a swift end under their brutal and uncompromising wheels. But soon it spies the lone riders - separated from the herd, desperately weak and near total exhaustion, they provide easy prey for the predator. The dog feasts well that night.

[/David Attenborough]

Plax

« Reply #796 on: 19 May, 2009, 06:34:55 pm »
I was quite worried about one chap, he just couldn't stop shaking!
Could have been me. I was fine climbing Pen-Y-Pas in the dry, where I stopped to put on a waterproof to prevent windchill on the descent. Then after Llanberris it started to rain and then hail. As I already had my waterproof on and only 10K to Menail, I opted not to stop for more layers, and to tough it out for half and hour, thus saving the relatively dry base layer, gloves and leggings for the return leg. In retrospect this was a bad decision, and I arived at Menai (approx 9pm) in a bad way, shivering for over half an hour. I spent much longer than planned warming up. On the plus side, it meant I missed a lot of rain and left Menai in the dry with all my kit on, and was soon warm as toast (very soggy), and had to stop a couple of times to remove some layers.

Lesson learnt. Always stop for extra layers if needed. Its surprising how quickly you can get so cold in those conditions.

Yes, it probably was you then. I was there from around 8pm -11pm (and had promised Mr Plax I'd be home by 10pm - oops!). If I recall correctly I plied you with tea in a mug, and made the others have cups ;D

Glad you had warm clothes at the ready!

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #797 on: 19 May, 2009, 06:39:34 pm »
[David Attenborough]

It's now nearly 12 months since the dog has had it last full meal and has lost nearly 80% of its own bodyweight. But come May, it waits patiently for the great migration of two-wheeled beasts who, guided by some mysterious instinct, make the annual trek across the length of the country. At first, the stronger, faster ones stampede past in large groups. The dog knows if it tries to tackle these, it will come to a swift end under their brutal and uncompromising wheels. But soon it spies the lone riders - separated from the herd, desperately weak and near total exhaustion, they provide easy prey for the predator. The dog feasts well that night.

[/David Attenborough]

;D

H

simonp

« Reply #798 on: 19 May, 2009, 07:03:42 pm »
Wonder if it's the same dog that chased me for a mile or so in 2007?  ::-)

I should point out this particular dog was being playful rather than aggressive.  I also wonder if being at the top of the Elan Valley meant it was actually rather lost.  :-\

« Reply #799 on: 19 May, 2009, 07:10:35 pm »
[David Attenborough]

[/David Attenborough]

;D ;D