Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 939618 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #8775 on: 02 February, 2020, 09:20:17 pm »
We have Chariots of Fire on.

I think fboab is swotting up on English society, post Brexit.

Ohdog.  We're not going to have to do Running, are we?

Only if you went to Cambridge.

I dodged that bullet by about two and a half A-levels.

Chris S

« Reply #8776 on: 02 February, 2020, 09:25:32 pm »
We have Chariots of Fire on.

I think fboab is swotting up on English society, post Brexit.

Ohdog.  We're not going to have to do Running, are we?

Only if you went to Cambridge.

I dodged that bullet by about two and a half A-levels.

And I was much too thick and working class. Bullets dodged, eh?

« Reply #8777 on: 03 February, 2020, 12:18:15 am »
Just watch "Hidden Figures"  9/10  well put together film. 

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #8778 on: 03 February, 2020, 01:17:14 pm »
London Fields.  Notorious (disowned by many of the participants and almost never saw the light of day) adaptation of my favourite book.  Actually not a bad effort, with very good casting*.  I can see how it would be a very hard sell to anyone who hadn't read the book.

Loses all the beauty of the original prose but that's the same for any film of a book.

*cameos by Bobby George and Andy Fordham in the darts final!

I have read the book1 and thus no power on Earth could interest me in the film.

1: Twice, in fact, to see whether it was as dire as I remembered.  It was worse.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #8779 on: 04 February, 2020, 01:32:17 pm »
David Copperfield.

Brilliant cast (especially Peter Capaldi and Anthony Welsh) and great Norfolk/Suffolk scenery.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8780 on: 05 February, 2020, 10:27:48 am »
The first two eps of Netflix's documentary series Pandemic.  Haven't learnt anything new so far, but haven't noticed any mistakes either. It's a bit over-simplified, of course.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8781 on: 14 February, 2020, 08:38:05 am »
It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood. A surprise on several levels. "Mr Rogers knows my name! <faint>"
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8782 on: 14 February, 2020, 09:42:27 am »
Manchester By The Sea. A well-produced and engaging film that is utterly unenjoyable and really didn't need to be made.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #8783 on: 17 February, 2020, 12:11:33 pm »
Parasite.   Good, but not great imho. Surprised it won the best file oscar.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #8784 on: 17 February, 2020, 12:29:49 pm »
The original Hellraiser. It was pretty good!
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #8785 on: 17 February, 2020, 12:36:19 pm »
Eddie the Eagle

Not a lot to say about it really, but it was fun to watch.
It is simpler than it looks.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8786 on: 17 February, 2020, 08:42:47 pm »
Hunt For The Wilderpeople

(finally). Well worth the wait. A really lovely, quirky film. The sort of thing antipodeans (sometimes) do very well :)

I'm now convinced to watch Jojo Rabbit (same director), which is getting marmite reviews, but I think will be worth a shot.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #8787 on: 23 February, 2020, 08:57:55 am »
Capernaum (chaos).   A freebie on prime just now and we’ll worth your time. A story of the chaotic upbringing of a young boy in beruit trying to look out for his sister and a baby against all odds. 

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8788 on: 23 February, 2020, 06:08:12 pm »
Get Out

Oddly brilliant thriller-horror-blackcomedy.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #8789 on: 23 February, 2020, 08:19:21 pm »
Get Out

Oddly brilliant thriller-horror-blackcomedy.

Very good.  Jordan Peele discussing the plot theories *spoiler alert *  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBvcngHRTFg 
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #8790 on: 24 February, 2020, 08:27:16 am »
Parasite and Greed, back to back.

A lot has already been said about Parasite. I thoroughly enjoyed it, despite a few gaping holes in the plot, but I agree that it was a surprising choice for the Oscar.  The sense of events spiralling out of control is exhilarating and the ending is unexpectedly moving after what immediately precedes it.  However, I'm very pleased that it has become a success in its own right rather than optioned by Hollywood and remade for a US market. I could see the setting being shifted to Silicon Valley with a family living in a trailer park, and thus losing / trampling all of the cultural nuances that make the film work.

Greed is good, but only good. Probably best to wait for it to pop up on Netflix or similar. Coogan is entertainingly convincing as the spivvy retail tycoon, who may or may not bring to mind a real character, and Isla Fisher is good as his brassy ex-wife, but David Mitchell's presence is an irritant as he simply wheels out the "David Mitchell" character from his incessant appearances on comedy quiz shows. It attempts to make valid points about the treatment of clothing workers in the Indian sub-continent and SE Asia, but this is done in such a heavy-handed way that it fails to make the kind of impact it should, while a couple of plot strands about Syrian refugees and scripted reality TV shows are insufficiently developed to be engaging but given sufficient time to be distracting.  It's saying something when the best line in the film is about James Blunt charging "only" £75,000 to sing outside Fisher's window.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #8791 on: 24 February, 2020, 04:05:15 pm »
Unbroken, enjoyed that in a "similar but different" to the Railway Man vibe.  Would have like to have seen more of the reconciliation if possible, even if dramatised, I think the main protagonist was dead befroe the file was made.

And completely differently The Thing, the remake of the 1980's Kurt Russell thing. The original was much better despite the cheesy effects, but neither as good as the book of course

Started watching Get Out but just didn't gel and swithced it off halfway through after the obvious teacup hypnotism
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

fuzzy

« Reply #8792 on: 24 February, 2020, 04:37:23 pm »
Pet Semetary (the recent remake).
Not as good as the original and missing Tasha Yar but watchable nonetheless

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #8793 on: 25 February, 2020, 11:34:48 pm »
Not sure if this counts as it was live but we saw The Cellist as live cinema tonight. It was beautiful and Marcelino Sambé was absolutely bloody brilliant as the cello. The whole cast was amazing but he really stood out.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8794 on: 28 February, 2020, 11:19:36 pm »
Antitrust (2001)

I'll just leave this here: https://twitter.com/kimble4/status/1233494684812632070

« Reply #8795 on: 05 March, 2020, 08:05:13 pm »
Hunt For The Wilderpeople

(finally). Well worth the wait. A really lovely, quirky film. The sort of thing antipodeans (sometimes) do very well :)

I'm now convinced to watch Jojo Rabbit (same director), which is getting marmite reviews, but I think will be worth a shot.

Jojo Rabbit Well worth it from my point of view, and I went because I enjoyed Hunt For The Wilderpeople too.

So that's Jojo Rabbit, 1917 and David Copperfield in the last few weeks. I'm on a roll. Probably Parasite next.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8796 on: 05 March, 2020, 09:28:12 pm »
Soviet Hippies

As the title says. Not a work of art but worth seeing if you have the slightest interest in the Soviet Union, hippies, frazzled old junkies, esoterica and mysticism, escape from oppressive regimes, police violence, hitch hiking, the effects of tea made from asthma cigarettes,* modern counterculture support for Putin or – dredging the margins – Estonian prog rock.

*Paralysis of the diaphragm.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #8797 on: 06 March, 2020, 11:24:58 am »
Dark Waters.   Excellent, I was aware of the "Du Pont poisoning the water" story but not the details.   Recommended. Long but kept attention throughout.  A shocking insight into what big companies will do if allowed.

« Reply #8798 on: 06 March, 2020, 11:57:06 am »
Dark Waters.   Excellent, I was aware of the "Du Pont poisoning the water" story but not the details.   Recommended. Long but kept attention throughout.  A shocking insight into what big companies will do if allowed.
Radio 4 "Costing the earth" was discussing this tuesday gone
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000fvvm

« Reply #8799 on: 06 March, 2020, 12:10:45 pm »
Escape from Pretoria.

Good / gripping.  A prison break story based on a true events from apartheid era SA.  Independent film (with Daniel Radcliffe), just out of limited general cinema release, and payperview.  e.g. here on amazon prime
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson