Author Topic: First ECE questions  (Read 3342 times)

Flâneur

• ♫ P*nctured bicycle on a hillside desolate...
First ECE questions
« on: 29 October, 2019, 11:19:53 am »
Apologies if my questions have been covered before, I get "The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you." when I try to access the ECE FAQs from the Audax FAQs page and a search hasn't helped.

I've got my first ECE on Saturday, I have submitted my ECE entry and received my AUK ECE entry email, and purchased a virtual brevet. I'm a bit confused about a couple of things:

1) I submitted a GPX file of the most direct ECE route as I had it to hand from checking the ECE was of correct distance. Does this mean I'm now committed to riding that precise route and not a longer alternative? The ECE entry email has a Tracklog Uploader link and states "use this link to help match your tracklog to your file linked above and your virtual brevet. Please DO NOT use this link for any other uploads. (otherwise, please email your tracklog file to the organiser, and quote the above original linked file)"

2) I chose to purchase a virtual brevet - does this mean I'm now committed to ECE validation via GPX rather than eg paper proofs of passage? I'm a bit worried about my GPS holding out to record the return ECE leg.

Thanks in advance for any responses
Rick

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
Re: First ECE questions
« Reply #1 on: 29 October, 2019, 12:05:54 pm »

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #2 on: 29 October, 2019, 12:10:19 pm »
Also regarding question 2, you can definitely have a virtual brevet and not use GPS. I say that as a non GPS owning ECE'er! You can do a paperless version of traditional proof of passage by scanning/photographing your receipts and submit those by email so "traditional" doesn't mean postage stamps are needed.

Martin

« Reply #3 on: 29 October, 2019, 01:12:48 pm »
1) I submitted a GPX file of the most direct ECE route as I had it to hand from checking the ECE was of correct distance. Does this mean I'm now committed to riding that precise route and not a longer alternative? The ECE entry email has a Tracklog Uploader link and states "use this link to help match your tracklog to your file linked above and your virtual brevet. Please DO NOT use this link for any other uploads. (otherwise, please email your tracklog file to the organiser, and quote the above original linked file)"

No; if the ECE legs are the direct shortest distance to and from the event you can ride whatever longer route you wish

2) I chose to purchase a virtual brevet - does this mean I'm now committed to ECE validation via GPX rather than eg paper proofs of passage? I'm a bit worried about my GPS holding out to record the return ECE leg.

No; you can obtain paper PoP at the ECE start / finish and any intermediate controls and scan / email if required as bhoot says  :)

Flâneur

• ♫ P*nctured bicycle on a hillside desolate...
« Reply #4 on: 29 October, 2019, 02:15:05 pm »
Thanks very much for the info, that's put my mind at rest. Roll on Saturday  :thumbsup: