Author Topic: Windsor Chester Windsor 2019  (Read 42498 times)

Re: Windsor Chester Windsor 2019
« Reply #75 on: 28 August, 2018, 08:18:01 am »
Blimey - I appear to have entered...  will be interesting...

« Reply #76 on: 28 August, 2018, 11:49:17 am »
In.

Currently thinking I'll try and do 4x600s as qualifiers but might not PBP if it conflicts with hippycrack aka TCR.

« Reply #77 on: 28 August, 2018, 10:11:28 pm »
I checked a bit more route over the weekend. This now skirts the north of Droitwich rather than barreling right through the town, and is a better ride for it.

This might mean NO FORDS this time, but I can't quite remember where they sat on the old route so I'm not yet sure. There is, however, a honking great new ford right by the new control at Broadwell. You'd be mad to try and ride through it, but no doubt* some fool will.

*hopefully

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #78 on: 28 August, 2018, 10:24:36 pm »

There is, however, a honking great new ford right by the new control at Broadwell. You'd be mad to try and ride through it, but no doubt* some fool will.

*hopefully

I've volunteered to help GPS there. I'll launder the dog's towels. Boil wash.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

« Reply #79 on: 29 August, 2018, 08:19:46 am »

There is, however, a honking great new ford right by the new control at Broadwell. You'd be mad to try and ride through it, but no doubt* some fool will.

*hopefully

I've volunteered to help GPS there. I'll launder the dog's towels. Boil wash.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Might be worth dusting off the web cam ... I'd hate to miss any of the action  ;D

Phil W

« Reply #80 on: 29 August, 2018, 09:55:47 am »
This might mean NO FORDS this time, but I can't quite remember where they sat on the old route so I'm not yet sure. There is, however, a honking great new ford right by the new control at Broadwell. You'd be mad to try and ride through it, but no doubt* some fool will.

*hopefully

The fords sit between Stock Green and Broughton Green on the old route.

« Reply #81 on: 29 August, 2018, 09:57:30 am »
I've ridden through a few Fords before. An old Falcon 500, a Fiesta, a Focus, one of their utes... they can be quite painful...

What are the alt routes for these? Or is it hike-a-bike?

« Reply #82 on: 29 August, 2018, 12:58:54 pm »
The fords sit between Stock Green and Broughton Green on the old route.

What are the alt routes for these? Or is it hike-a-bike?

Happily, this means that both 2015 fords are now gone. The ford at Broadwell has a path to the side. So did the other two, but it didn't stop folk having a go.

« Reply #83 on: 29 August, 2018, 07:46:21 pm »
And so it begins, my first PBP qualifier is booked... although it will probably be the last qualifying ride, if you see what I mean...

I’m hoping by then I’ll be up to that distance on the trike. If I am: point me at these fords, I’m going in!!!

John

« Reply #84 on: 29 August, 2018, 11:26:42 pm »
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #85 on: 29 August, 2018, 11:44:01 pm »
alt routes
Mandatory route.

I meant a bridge or something, not another road.

« Reply #86 on: 30 August, 2018, 06:17:00 am »
Every ford I've ever placed on a route has had a footbridge crossing it. However that doesn't stop some people riding through regardless. Sometimes they're fine and sometimes, hilariously, they cop an early bath.

« Reply #87 on: 31 August, 2018, 11:53:33 am »
Just entered. Got a hatchet to bury.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #88 on: 31 August, 2018, 11:56:33 am »

If you find yourself in Bury, you've gone too far north...  ;D

« Reply #89 on: 31 August, 2018, 01:21:18 pm »

If you find yourself in Bury, you've gone too far north...  ;D

Unless you're in Bury St Edmunds. Then you're really in trouble.

« Reply #90 on: 04 September, 2018, 06:20:35 am »
I've recently route checked the first/final 100km, which has thrown up an interesting problem. The control I have booked at Appleford is tiny! It would be fine later along the route, but for 200 riders just 50km from the start (albeit in waves of 100) it could be a bit of squeeze. Getting to the control also involves a slightly tedious 70m of gravel car park and a footpath next to a children's play area. All of this is manageable but it is far, far from ideal.

There is a much better control point a few kilometres away. There is a pretty direct "road" that would add 2km to the total distance. However it looks like it might be in too poor a condition to use, in which case the extra distance becomes 4km.

I'll do another recce soonish, but any thoughts on distance vs facilities are more than welcome.

« Reply #91 on: 04 September, 2018, 06:23:19 am »
BTW there are only 30 spots left. Once they're gone there will be no more places made available, nor will there be any swaps. It's shame I can't make the event larger but I doubt the halls or volunteers would stand it.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #92 on: 04 September, 2018, 07:17:06 am »
I'm in.  Will be on fixed.  First mandatory route I will have ridden  :thumbsup:

It's so unlike me to enter an event that's still nine months away  ::-)
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #93 on: 04 September, 2018, 09:21:37 am »
I've recently route checked the first/final 100km, which has thrown up an interesting problem. The control I have booked at Appleford is tiny! It would be fine later along the route, but for 200 riders just 50km from the start (albeit in waves of 100) it could be a bit of squeeze. Getting to the control also involves a slightly tedious 70m of gravel car park and a footpath next to a children's play area. All of this is manageable but it is far, far from ideal.

There is a much better control point a few kilometres away. There is a pretty direct "road" that would add 2km to the total distance. However it looks like it might be in too poor a condition to use, in which case the extra distance becomes 4km.

I'll do another recce soonish, but any thoughts on distance vs facilities are more than welcome.

I'm not sure how much you need at 50k, surely for most it will be stamp and go, not much TLC needed this close to the start. Your main log jam is potentially a queue to get your card stamped.
Reine de la Fauche

« Reply #94 on: 04 September, 2018, 09:25:36 am »

I'm not sure how much you need at 50k, surely for most it will be stamp and go, not much TLC needed this close to the start. Your main log jam is potentially a queue to get your card stamped.

A stamp, grab a roll and go option, just outside the hall would be sensible. With more refined options available inside.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

« Reply #95 on: 04 September, 2018, 09:55:49 am »
No 3-course meal?! No cheese board? There'll still be a sommelier though, right?

#nothelpful

whosatthewheel

« Reply #96 on: 04 September, 2018, 10:26:46 am »
No 3-course meal?! No cheese board? There'll still be a sommelier though, right?

#nothelpful

That's the plan at Hartlebury, if I am in charge of the kitchen... choice of red or white, starter, main and dessert with passito wine to go with it...

For main I am thinking of a venison Wellington... in the wrapping pancake I was planning to infuse some black truffles, as well as the customary filling of wild mushrooms. Pastry will be done from scratch of course, as I suppose is the case in all AUk events...

Mind you, the budget might only allow for beans on toast...  ;D

« Reply #97 on: 04 September, 2018, 10:35:02 am »
That's the plan at Hartlebury, if I am in charge of the kitchen... choice of red or white, starter, main and dessert with passito wine to go with it...

For main I am thinking of a venison Wellington... in the wrapping pancake I was planning to infuse some black truffles, as well as the customary filling of wild mushrooms. Pastry will be done from scratch of course, as I suppose is the case in all AUk events...

Mind you, the budget might only allow for beans on toast...  ;D

You joke, but the controller there has very high standards.

BTW I'm not sure who you are. Could you send me a PM so I can add you to the volunteer list?

whosatthewheel

« Reply #98 on: 04 September, 2018, 10:51:49 am »

BTW I'm not sure who you are. Could you send me a PM so I can add you to the volunteer list?

Yes, we have already agreed, I'm on the list...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #99 on: 04 September, 2018, 03:59:40 pm »

A stamp, grab a roll and go option, just outside the hall would be sensible. With more refined options available inside.
I'd ditto that. You could do almost everything outside - if crap weather, move to the leeward side. Indoors would just be toilets and somewhere for helpers to shelter.

Matty (speaking from rider/helper experience !)

p.s. I live less than 2 miles from that hall (which I'd never noticed, although I think I know the playground you mean), let me know if you are desperate for any local intell or assistance!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles