Author Topic: Selling the bent to a complete novice?  (Read 2999 times)

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
Selling the bent to a complete novice?
« on: 05 September, 2016, 09:15:19 pm »
So someone local wants to try my bent with a view to buying. He's a friend of a friend.... I give him the spec and blurb and start the conversation with, do you have cycle shows with cleats. No, comes the answer. I don't claim to know lots of bent riders, having seen and spoken maybe a dozen in the past few years. All (barring a disabled hand cyclist) of which had SPD pedals and cleats.

I'll give him a go, but is someone who has never used clip in pedals really going to ride a bent? I tried it once with normal shoes testing new wheels on mine and after a couple of mins my legs felt it!

Dave C

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

Re: Selling the bent to a complete novice?
« Reply #1 on: 05 September, 2016, 09:20:39 pm »
IMHO cleats on a recumbent are a  lot easier than traditional toe clips and straps..............helpful? 
Pete Crane E75 @petecrane5

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 05 September, 2016, 09:24:03 pm »
What's the 'bent?  Trikes are a different kettle of fish as regards novices, as you don't have to do anything quickly.

I have encountered recumbent riders who don't use clipless pedals, but they've used some other form of foot-retention (toestraps, or disability-oriented pedals with straps - and they've all been trike riders).

I wouldn't let someone with no experience of clipless pedals attempt to ride a recumbent bicycle for the first time with them:  They're going to have clipless moments and injure themselves and/or the bike.  Either bung some flat pedals from the spares box on or let them try to ride on SPD pedals with non-cycling shoes.  It's extra work, but it's what they'll be expecting and it's good enough for a 5 minute test ride.

Dave_C

« Reply #3 on: 05 September, 2016, 09:50:21 pm »
Its a bike not a trike. I'm putting on flats but I am wondering what they'll make of it. Holding your legs up isn't easy long term and I wonder if it won't taint the experience.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

« Reply #4 on: 05 September, 2016, 10:03:39 pm »
Worth cobbling together some sort of heel slings?

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5 on: 05 September, 2016, 10:20:11 pm »
I wouldn't mention it unless he asks. Fit the flats and if he asks after a test ride 'How the bloody hell do you manage with those?' be honest and tell him he'll need cleats.

If he doesn't then take the money and run.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #6 on: 05 September, 2016, 10:29:25 pm »
If it's the B2, Dave, put a pair of gnarly BMX flats on it.  They'll give enough grip for the potential buyer to concentrate on pushing the pedals and learning the rudiments of balance.  They can get clever with pedals once they've bought the bike.
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #7 on: 06 September, 2016, 06:40:26 pm »
I managed for a while on the B2 deliberately with flats until I was happy enough that I could stop/start/go in a straight line reasonably repeatably.  I didn't want too many new things being thrown at the brain at the same time.  It can be done, but requires work to keep the feet up there, for 5 mins shouldn't make a difference.

I'm back at the stage now with the M5 that pedal tension is low as I'm on a learning curve with that one.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

LMT

« Reply #8 on: 06 September, 2016, 11:26:26 pm »
Put flats on the bike, and find a gentle downhill and have the person coast down the hill on the bent sat up, feet hovering over the ground for the first couple of runs. From there, once they get comfortable they can gone onto spd's

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #9 on: 07 September, 2016, 08:51:16 pm »
It depends whether you want to unload the bike or sell it to future enthusiast - very much your call. His question shows he doesn't know bents at all so potentially you could unload the bike. Of course you might alternatively question him and find out what he really wants - might be yours or another type of bike altogether. Personally I think selling the right bike to the right person is quite important as it will make you feel good - and you could get into heaven.
Or, it may be he just wants to kick some wheels and try a bent out in which case regard it as an evangelical call.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Dave_C

« Reply #10 on: 08 September, 2016, 01:12:56 pm »
The chap came round lastnight as after shortening the boom and putting flats on we went for a ride. He has ridden one bent before a few days ago, so was quite confident on our ride around some local streets. He is newish to commuting and is on an old mountain bike at the moment. He wants something comfortable for a daily commute over around 10 miles each way. We had a good chat about recumbents afterwards, and I tried to let him know all I know about them, not much I can tell you. My advice was to try as many as you can, then chose something you like and can afford. He has a budget and is thinking of second hand to keep the initial outlay down.

We'll see what happens.

« Reply #11 on: 08 September, 2016, 10:38:12 pm »
For a 10 mile each way commute you don't really need a 'bent.  Did you suggest he try a bike with drops instead?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #12 on: 09 September, 2016, 07:51:01 pm »
For a 10 mile each way commute you don't really need a 'bent.

Depends if a DF has a propensity to injure or not.
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #13 on: 12 September, 2016, 04:09:37 pm »
For a 10 mile each way commute you don't really need a 'bent.  Did you suggest he try a bike with drops instead?
My speed machine was the best London commuter ride I had in 35 years of doing it. Plus, oddly I had no car based crash in 7 years instead of the alarmingly frequent incidents in years on the many DFs.

Dave_C

« Reply #14 on: 12 September, 2016, 04:26:37 pm »
My speed machine was the best London commuter ride I had in 35 years of doing it. Plus, oddly I had no car based crash in 7 years instead of the alarmingly frequent incidents in years on the many DFs.

I certainly felt more visible riding the Bent. Children Awe'd at it and drivers (IMHO) steered wide, not knowing what it was. It certainly caught the attention of people who had not seen it before.

« Reply #15 on: 12 September, 2016, 04:26:47 pm »

I do not understand your perspective at all.   it's arguable that you don't need drops for a commute or perhaps even carbon forks, or pedals for cleats, or...

If the punter has decided that a recumbent is to be his weapon of choice, why not?

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #16 on: 12 September, 2016, 05:55:59 pm »
Like I said upthread. His choice, his money. Absolutely no one's place to opine as to the suitability or otherwise. If he wants it, he'll buy it.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Tigerrr

• Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #17 on: 12 September, 2016, 07:59:00 pm »

I do not understand your perspective at all.   it's arguable that you don't need drops for a commute or perhaps even carbon forks, or pedals for cleats, or...

If the punter has decided that a recumbent is to be his weapon of choice, why not?
"Commute' means very different things to different people. For some it conjures up an Amsterdam style ride, while for others it is a race. As far as I was concernced it was a daily race that defined the day. The recumbent enabled me to be unbeaten on Constitution Hill (down) between 0815 and 0820 between 2007 and 2012. Made up for the daily grind in the office. That for me sums up the magic of these bikes - with careful choice of terrain an old unfit bloke can - for a moment - spank the world. The horror of the DF hardcore club roadie as he eats the dust is hugely enjoyable, however petty. That is a delight that one can look back on 10 years later with delight. I know I do.

Phil W

« Reply #18 on: 13 September, 2016, 10:27:50 am »
I've done my commutes over the years on a mtn bike (muddy at office in winter before shower :-) , a Dahon , a road bike, a Brompton.  I'm happy commuting on any of the bikes I own depending on my route choice and mood. So why not ride a recumbent on a commute? It all adds to the variety and they say that leads to the spice.